1" ram ball mount for cell phone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoopster3

Reaction score
I just installed MV bar risers and it came with a 1" ram ball. I have a Samsung Galaxy Edge plus phone that I would like to mount and use for GPS. Where can I find a cell phone holder that will fit a phone of this size: 6.08 x 2.98 x 0.27 in?

I tried the search function and found nothing. All the holders I've seen have a maximum of much less space than I need. Anyone know where I can get one to fit my phone?

Yeah I agree, I wasn't saying he should buy them there, just the example of what would work. I always shop around and try local as much as I can. I have had good luck talking to my local shops and giving them an opportunity to give me their best price. If they are at all close I go with them (product of having two parents that were small business owners who eventually couldn't compete with big box stores). Support local if you can.

Agree too, and you also need that double socket arm. I recommend the longer one to raise your phone or GPS up into sight if it has to clear a tank bag or anything. One other thing: glue the rubber tips onto the ends of the arms on the cradle grip gadget. They slide off and get lost too easy.

I installed an X-Grip on my S10 earlier this week. It grips my Galaxy S5 Active well enough, but it has a bit of rotational slop in the X, so the phone wants to rotate back and forth on the mount. I was able to minimize the slop with some creative use of the rubber "capture" thing that come with it, but there's still a bit of slop with it.

Hoopster -- If you end up picking up the X-Grip, make sure that your phone is large enough for the holder to get a good grip on it (I don't know the size of the Edge compares with the S5). I watched a youtube vid where a guy's phone slipped right out of the holder while he was going down the road...but his phone was barely large enough for the holder to grip, and he wasn't using the rubber capture thingy that they include with the mount.

. . . a youtube vid where a guy's phone slipped right out of the holder while he was going down the road...but his phone was barely large enough for the holder to grip, and he wasn't using the rubber capture thingy that they include with the mount.
But mainly, the phones that blew off in the two vids of that happening that I've seen happened on naked bikes with the mount and the phone completely in the wind. Very unlikely behind an FJR windscreen of any size.

But mainly, the phones that blew off in the two vids of that happening that I've seen happened on naked bikes with the mount and the phone completely in the wind. Very unlikely behind an FJR windscreen of any size.
Very good point.

This is the vid that I saw:

I just watched it again, and it looks like the phone was probably large enough for a good grip, but vibrated over to one side (due to the lack of the rubber safety wrap) and the X-Grip...well, lost it's grip.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SCOTTIE" data-cid="1318930" data-time="1466262563"><p>

These guys are getting a lot of buzz for their "<a href='https://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/perfect-squeeze-phone-mount'>Perfect Squeeze</a>" on ADVRider. They are proud of it, but it looks pretty much bomb proof</p></blockquote>

Thanks for that link! Went ahead and placed an order with them. Good reviews and looks like a solid build. Thanks again!

I use the xgrip with the tether and it will not fall out. The entire mount would have to come off and the phone would likely stay in. The xgrip does have a little rotation but once I connect the tether it does not move at all. Good luck!

I am wary of the spring loaded X-grip mounts. A couple years ago, I was involved in a bumpy "incident" which caused the phone in the X-grip to fly out it's mount and shatter across the highway. YMMV.

The perfect squeeze looks like a better design, but now the phone stays on person, once bitten...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the X-Grip with the tether and it will not move with that combination. I know the rubber posts on the x-grip will work their way off if not secured. Good luck with what ever you choose

I am wary of the spring loaded X-grip mounts. A couple years ago, I was involved in a bumpy "incident" which caused the phone in the X-grip to fly out it's mount and shatter across the highway. YMMV.The perfect squeeze looks like a better design, but now the phone stays on person, once bitten...

i always have my phone on me, incase my bike and i decide to head in different directions, lol
smile.png

plus no clue how you can use a phone with gloves.

If you use an x-grip, use a tether. Applied properly, x-grip is pretty good. But if the angle is off, if the phone is too high, too low, or not deep enough, or if any of the feet walk out from the prongs, you end up with the potential for a dropped phone. Slip-grip is foolproof, you can mount and remove the phone with one hand, and is far more secure than xgrip. I'll never go back. I have a couple of pairs of gloves that I can use an iphone fine with. I believe they are wiley-x pilot gloves.