Givi SR357 failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnyfjr

Reaction score
While dropping Laura off for her first day of the Basic Rider Course this morning (Yay!), I noted that the Givi top case seemed to have a bit of play in it. Didn't seem like it was going to fall off, but something wasn't right. I got it home and disassembled to find this...

IMG_0650_zpsho7kdcuo.jpg

IMG_0651_zpsivpbwdvt.jpg

IMG_0649_zpsh5xen4in.jpg

So now it's off to see if a friend will let me borrow his welder and I'll see if I can get this back together. I also have some scrap angle steel and I will maybe weld in that underneath as a little extra support. If my welding doesn't look too awful, I'll post those pics before I paint and reassemble.

Got mine in April and I just noticed last week some rust forming in the voids around the (ugly) welds where the rail is attached to the cross bar going under the seat. Think I'm going to fill it in with some black silicone or something.

Interesting. Looks fixable though and better than a cracked subframe. Do you have any theories to explain the fracture?

Certainly worth sending this picture to Givi and to whomever you purchased the 357 from.

https://www.giviusa.com/warranty-info

The website advertises a 24-month warranty, but I'd venture a guess that they might step up if you send them your photo.

That kind of a failure shouldn't happen, within 24 months or after.

I bought the top case and SR357 used from a forum member shortly after I got the bike (maybe back in '10?). Not sure if a warranty would go this far out. As for how/why it cracked, I don't feel I've overstressed it, but who knows. I can't say if my wife actually leans back on it or just uses it occasionally (like when I accelerate to pass without warning her first...). I'll ask her when she gets home. No off-roading done intentionally, although I have traversed a goat path or two on some group rides.

The plate failed, but there was also a weld failure. In the pic below, there are two stitch welds (arrows) on the top and there is a fillet weld underneath (red blob in middle). The weld indicated by the right arrow completely failed. It looked like there may not have been decent penetration on the plate side of the weld. Note that the plate cracked around the end of the fillet weld underneath and then continued on across.

IMG_0649_edit_zpsfwwgkj9g.jpg

The cross-section of the broken plate looks like this

IMG_0656_zpsipfxwlrd.jpg

The line that appears to run the width of the plate almost looks as if there were two plates sandwiched together, which I know is not the case. I'm thinking this was a defect in the metal, and stresses over the years allowed the crack to grow.

Not sure what broke first, but I'd guess the weld came loose and then the stresses of the top case load ultimately cracked the plate.

But what the hell do I know? In any event, I'm going to try my newbie welding skills and see what I end up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if this started when the lights in the box started acting up in Pembroke? Is it possibly where the lights were grounded?

I wonder if this started when the lights in the box started acting up in Pembroke? Is it possibly where the lights were grounded?
Nope, the lights get their ground from the wiring harness, which is an in-line connection with the bike's tail light harness. The top case and even the mount it attaches to (which in turn mounts to the steel SR357) are plastic, so the ground has to come from the harness itself. That issue is just a cheap electrical connector. I am going to try to replace that altogether.

I agree with Jon - you should send this to Givi. Even if they don't warranty it (and they might), it will give them some data to look for future improvements. There is room for a small gusset under the plate, and that would strengthen the area tremendously.

In so far as I can, I examined mine between the plastic and rack. No sign of paint flaking or rust. But I will keep an eye on it - so I appreciate you bringing this up.

OK, so welding (and grinding) complete, I think it came out OK for someone who only has an adult learning welding class under his belt...

IMG_0659_zpssnq6l5ge.jpg

I also added some angle to the underside of both plates, just as extra support. This is the side that was broken:

IMG_0664_zpsmtqc2bhy.jpg

And this is the side that was still intact:

IMG_0663_zps3dkbabvw.jpg

I'll get some matte black rattle can paint tomorrow and hopefully get it back on the bike tomorrow night.

Better than new. NIce work. A little rattle can flat black and no one's the wiser.

So, I guess this is the new Givi Stiffy mod then?

I would look to see that the bottom of your plastic mounting plate is flat where the 4 mounting bolts contact(it should be). That would be the only way I could see one mounting bolt torquing on the plate and splitting it in half that way. Weird.

Interesting. Mine has seen heavy loading and the wife uses the the 55 and sr357 as a backrest with a confidence and carefree manner usually only seen in children and pets. Lots of rainy riding, but no salt. Mine is only 2 years old but I will keep an eye on it. I know what to look for. :)