DAMN! I LOVE THIS BIKE!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
I went for a great ride yesterday, around 300 miles. Nearly every single one of them, except when I was riding in Union, MO to the courthouse to pay a speeding ticket (that was magically reduced to a noise violation...), was spent with me nearly pinning the throttle! This thing handles great, solo. I'll be upgrading the suspenders this winter for two up riding.

As most of you know, I'm a former R1 rider. While I didn't push my R1 to 100% of its ability, I did many track days on it and wrung her neck as best I could. On the street, i.e. backroads, I did the same. My FJR lets me enjoy the hell out of motorcycling while keeping me comfy. I can honestly say, I ride the FJR the same way that I rode my R1. She's a little slower and doesn't have the high RPM punch of the R1, but on the backroads, she flat out hauls ass!!

I know this is a sport touring machine, but Mama-Yamaha has done a great job in making this a SPORT touring machine for me, while allowing some of you guys to ride her like a sport TOURER.

By the way, I only have 11,500 miles on my Gen II, so it looks like I'll be enjoying this bike for years to come. I'm the second owner, I traded my R1 for her. So it took me a while to feel like she was 'mine.' I've made some changes to the bike and am learning all I can from the wealth of knowledge on this forum from you guys, many of whom know more about the FJR than Yamaha themselves, I'm betting.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest. I truly love this bike and appreciate all that you guys do to make this forum possible. I hope to be able to help other FJR new guys as I gain more knowledge of this wonderful bike.

Cheers all,

MG

OMG !! These posts that remind me that I sold the FJR -- killin' me :-((

So glad for you though MG
smile.png
smile.png

So, you gonna change yer name to Happy German?
smile.png
Russ,

Mad as insane...

biggrin.png

MG - I certainly don't ride like some of you guys, but I certainly enjoy the hell out of the bike! I LOVE my '13! Makes me smile every trip I take on it...find myself staring back at it before closing the garage door.

Roger,

You had Red Silvy for a good number of trips...you will always love that bike.

FJR owners are typically great people, knuckleheads, but great people.

Last edited by a moderator:
The funny thing is, every time I get on my '13, I feel the same excitement that Mad German is feeling. This bike is pure magic, in so many ways!

Welcome to the world of FJR. I have a 09 Gen II with 67k. Gen II's need need updated suspension cause they are soft. I have a GP Suspension and a Penske with a 850 lb spring. Works well and worth every damn penny. Traxxion Dynamics has a good reputation on this forum and is in your neck of the neighborhood.

Gen III's are much better sprung and some are riding them stock without issue.

These bikes are pretty easy to work on too, espeically with all the help on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading Fontamans post makes me wonder how ecstatic mad German would be with superior suspension? Best mod ever!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SacramentoMike" data-cid="1318952" data-time="1466268077"><p>

But how did you get that noise violation with your FJR?</p></blockquote>

I was speeding in my CR-V, 87 in a 50. He only wrote it up for 65 in a 50. My son left something important at school and I was racing to get it. The highway patrolman sympathized with me as a fellow parent of teen boys, haha!