Garmin Zumo 590LM and micro SD card

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
I've read that I can only install an 8 GIG to 16 GIG maximum SD card into the device !

Is there any reason I cannot install a 32 GIG micro SD ?

Thank you to any experts who reply
smile.png

I use 32 GB with no problem, and the unit will take larger cards. At some point the indexing imposes a lot of overhead, but the 590 is fast. Anyway 32 GB is no problem.

I run a 64gb w/o and problems other than a few of the search options for music can be a bit slow as Tom mentioned as you load the card up.

I have a 64GB and works fine. My recollection was that I had to format with a different format....can't remember which....vFat, exFAT, FAT32 or something. Google was my friend though.

I have a 64GB and works fine. My recollection was that I had to format with a different format....can't remember which....vFat, exFAT, FAT32 or something. Google was my friend though.
Format must be FAT32.

I have the manual as a PDF if anyone needs it.. PM me with an e-mail address...

Without starting a new thread I thought I'd piggyback on this old one.

So I picked up a new 590 this past winter and am having some fits with it. What's new right? TripperMike = techno dork.

Through trial and error and a bit of web surfing, I've found I can not load music from my PC without converting .wma to .mp3 first. So I spent a couple hours the other night converting using Switch from NGH. Downloaded the files onto the SD card and still nothing. What more must I do?

I haven't put music directly on my 595 yet. It plays music from my iPhone or from Pandora fairly well, but it's always glitchy. I'll try some mp3's as soon as I can borrow the kids computer. Mine is sort of encrypted. I really like my 595lm, but it's essentially a brighter, bigger, fully touch sensitive iPhone screen at an enormous price. It's delightful. A bargain at $200. Unfortunately they cost over 3 times that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without starting a new thread I thought I'd piggyback on this old one.
So I picked up a new 590 this past winter and am having some fits with it. What's new right? TripperMike = techno dork.

Through trial and error and a bit of web surfing, I've found I can not load music from my PC without converting .wma to .mp3 first. So I spent a couple hours the other night converting using Switch from NGH. Downloaded the files onto the SD card and still nothing. What more must I do?
Mike,

Here's the layout I use for Music on our 590... This is how it looks when viewed connected to my laptop....

I have only one directory on the SD card called Music with directories in Music named etc... look below...

63 GB Volume
Music
Bob Carlisle
Clint Black
Garth Brooks
Savage Garden
Affirmation
01 Affirmation.mp3
02 Hold Me.mp3
03 I Knew I Loved You.mp3
etc....
Savage Garden
The Judds
Tim McGraw
etc...

Thanks Bill and Eric. Maybe it is something that simple. My SD card has one folder on it called "Garmin". Perhaps my mistake was putting the music in that folder instead of creating a new folder at the same level as "Garmin".

Mike,

Are you sure that your looking at the SD card?? as "Garmin" is the GPS internal device and the SD card should be "beside" Garmin....

Did you name your SD card "Garmin"?

Garmin

SD Card

Music

yada yada

The Garmin folder is on the SD card.

So anyways I created the new Music folder and cut/pasted all my tunes into that and everything is fine now. However that may not be the reason why I can now listen to my music. I realized while trying to connect the 590 with the sena, that the other morning I may not have made that connection. I am so used to my iphone and sena automatically connecting when they are both turned on, I forgot I have to go into zumo and deliberately make that connection. What can I say?

I'm not sure about the 590 but the 660 doesn't reliably support A2DP (music) over BT. It always drops back to HFP (ie mono music stream). That's great if you miss AM radio but otherwise not so great.

On top of that, the Sena SMH10 (and other earlier Sena products) only support one A2DP connection, so you have to choose between phone or GPS for music. (The 20S supports two A2DP connections but I'm not sure about which unit you have).

I gave up and only use the Zumo for navigation over HFP and play music off my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the Sena 20. In my early use of these two items, SMH20 and the 590, I was having problems with the 590 dropping the music being played from the phone for no apparent reason, other than I am new to it. I also found out that by using my phone to provide the music, it was using up the battery that much quicker.

I was having the same problem as you and left the garmin folder in the directory and created a MP3 folder and dumped all of the music in that and now it works. Hope this helps!

I had Zümo 660 and SMH 10 before and more often than not had a problem with the mono sound coming into Sena from Zümo. After some trying I learned that i had to have Zumo on first and then turn on Sena and if lucky, I got the stereo connection. I also had another problem with 660, i.e. it was a bit slow, often I missed a turn because it showed it too late, especially on roundabouts. And then the screen was difficult to see in sunshine.

So finally got enough with those problems and upgraded to Zümo 595LM, Sena 20 S and Iphone 7 combo. On my last 2 weeks trip I had a chance to try it in many ways and I must say I am pretty happy with everything it does. The connection with Sena is always stereo, I can use the Garmin smartlink app within iphone and get info to Zumo screen about traffic problems, weather, incoming messages and many more.

One isse though, that troubled me with the Zumo 595. We were riding in Germany and I decided to use the Adventurous Routs option. First it took quite some time to calculate the route. And then, while navigating, after a while it simply restarted itself. And did it many times in a row. I was completely confused. Finallly found out that I had picked too long trip, ca 400 km or so and it looks like this was too much for its processor so it simply went crazy. After I shortened the trip to some 150 km, everything worked perfectly. Have any of you experienced the same?

I have both full Europe map and also some MP3 music on its own internal memory. Could that cause the perfomance problem?