What to do with our "riding gear" while we are in the museum?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcutler23693

Reaction score
So my wife and I are planning a 5 day trip across the Blue Ridge Parkway, ending at Deal's Gap, and then driving back home (to Yorktown VA) at the end of August. We plan on making a lot of stops at museums and music festivals, etc. The problem is, our saddle bags and trunk will be full, so I'm not sure what to do with our helmets and riding gear. We really don't want to wear and/or carry that stuff in everywhere we go. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and how you handled it. Thanks, Brian.

I have had this exact circumstance in the past, and would recommend that you see if the places have coat check service provided. I have gone to several concerts and museums and used their coat check service to store my gear.

Have a great tour!

I just leave mine on top of the bike. All my gear is sun faded and well used...nobody's going to take it. Plus, I wear a small, so it doesn't fit most. Worst that could happen is a stupid kid thinks it's funny to take something, but it hasn't happened in 110,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
For helmets ...

One of these: https://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/aaron's_fun_stuff/handy/extuff/Helmet_Hook.html

And: a helmet lock bracket from TownsendsFJR1300 on this forum.

Jackets as per the other other suggestions.

In Greece,in all the Museums,archaeological areas,etc..they keep your motorcycle gears,helmets in locked closets in the entrance..I like that especially in a hot day.

Thank you everyone for replying. I will purchase and install the helmet locks. I like the idea of buying a coated cable lock.

This might fit the bill:

Bag.png

Bag%202.png

Bag%203.png

I have and use a cable lock as well. However, instead of purchasing one for a bicycle - (they are thick and the coils do not stretch well and are pain in my opinion) I went to Home Depot and purchased a custom length 1/8" plastic coated cable. They used their crimpers right on the spot and put the two ends into loop sizes that I wanted. Now I have a small, thin, yet strong cable that runs through a sleeve, the helmet and the frame, and still have room for more gear (like my wifes) and it packs down smaller than the bike ones.

That bag looks nice, but it seems like it would not pack very small....

Helmet Guardians mounted under the topbox for my helmet. Honda uses this method on the Wings and I've always found it convenient, so I adopted it for the feej and the GSX1100G.

IMG_0003.JPG

Riding suit and gloves either go in the topbox or I carry them with me.