Best oil to stick with for new bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyjoe

Reaction score
Amsiol synthetic seems to get the best reviews,looking for some advice.Would like to start and stay with the same oil for the bikes life.Also,10/30 or 10/40?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Damnation. It ain't Friday, or I'd post something like this: "Oil isn't supposed to stick."

Good thing it's not Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not another oil thread........Too early for Friday?

If you want it well lubed try the KY sensations
weirdsmiley.gif

I did search,FAQ and all forums with little or no success? Used amsoil for the search.
Try to refine that search. Try "Yamalube", for instance. That should find you a bunch of oil threads.

Sometimes the search returns so many posts it's tough to sort through it all. But the answer's in your manual and quite easy to find. Does the manual specify 10w-30 or 10w-40? There's your answer. Use a good oil that meets the specs, change it regularly, and the engine / transmission should outlast you.

You seem to be partial to Amsoil. That's all I use in anything and routinely go up to double the recommended intervals.

And while you're at it go ahead and look up what oil filter's best. That'll keep you reading for a while too. ;)

Amsoil is marketed and sold via a multi-layer pyramid scheme, so not a very good value in motor oils. The oil is (probably) fine but it is marketed too aggressively with all kinds of unsubstantiated claims of its superiority. That alone puts me off it, regardless of the price. It is the Dyna Beads of motor oils.

Open up your owners manual and read what the manufacturer recommends using for the expected operating temperature range in your area. Hint: They do not ever recommend using a 10W30 oil under any circumstances.

Pick one and stick with it, or don't stick with it. Your choice

Amsoil is marketed and sold via a multi-layer pyramid scheme, so not a very good value in motor oils. The oil is (probably) fine but it is marketed too aggressively with all kinds of unsubstantiated claims of its superiority. That alone puts me off it, regardless of the price. It is the Dyna Beads of motor oils.
I can only go on my own experiences and the experiences of my friends.

A friend, for instance, recently sold a '99 Tundra that'd had gotten oil changes at 16,000 to 20,000 mile intervals using Amsoil. It had 270,000 miles on the clock when he sold it and still used no oil and ran like a top. Would it have done as well with some other oil? I don't know. My commuter car was a '97 Cavalier that I bought with 132,000 miles on it. I sold it at 241,000 miles, and it was using a pint of oil every 4000 or so miles at that point. Everything else was breaking, but the little engine was still running fine. I changed the oil once a year with Amsoil -- usually around 16,000 miles. Again, I don't know how it would have fared with some other oil. My Goldwing went 11 years and 111,000 miles with 12 oil changes. It used no oil when I sold it.

It's worked for me ;)

I have considered going to a lower priced oil now that my annual ,mileage is down, but it wouldn't save me much, so I guess I'll keep pouring that $10 / quart oil in my stuff ;)

I did search,FAQ and all forums with little or no success? Used amsoil for the search.
Amsoil and self-cancelling turn signal chatter in 5 posts?

Things that make you wonder.....
fool.gif
Check again. The first word on this thread was Amsoil
wink.png

Edit:

Ah. I see. Misread that post.
rolleyes.gif

Yamalube full syn is expensive stuff. IMHO, Mobil 1 4T (which is full syn) 10 w 40 is excellent, and you can get it for less than $10 a quart at Wal-Mart.