Question of purchase of 2004 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clark Kent

Reaction score
Question.

I am looking at a nice 2004 FJR. One owner with 42K on it.

I asked if it had the TICK.

Answer, "I don't think so." Wouldn't someone who rode the bike 42K and owned it for 12 years, KNOW if it had the TICK or not?

Question.

I am looking at a nice 2004 FJR. One owner with 42K on it.

I asked if it had the TICK.

Answer, "I don't think so." Wouldn't someone who rode the bike 42K and owned it for 12 years, KNOW if it had the TICK or not?

My advice would be to have it checked out by a professional. Then you'll really know much more about condition of the bike. $200 spent now to avoid buying a problem bike could be money well spent
thumbup.gif

Not all FJR owners are up to speed on the history of the bike. Easy solution is to start up the bike and go for a 20 minute ride. Then YOU will know weather it has the tick or not.

YOU could also take the vin number to any Yamaha dealer and then can look up all work performed by any real Yamaha dealer.

Most tickers started well before 42K (mine did at 12K) but not every gen 1 had the tick.

04 is the coolest year FJR
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't someone who rode the bike 42K and owned it for 12 years, KNOW if it had the TICK or not?
No. They could easily know that it didn't have the tick...and not that had it. The tick affected a small minority of bikes. Sounds like the didn't know what you were referring.

And you should know that most bikes that develop a tick fat less than half the mileage. If not or you're concerned....do a bit more homework so you can diagnose it yourself. Chances are REALLY good it doesn't have it.
wink.png

The "Tick" was very rare in any FJR, but it was most prevalent in the Gen 1 bike ('03-'05). In the bin-0-facts, there is a link to a video that you can watch and know what to listen for.

If the bike you are considering has the tick, it would be the first Gen 3 worldwide that I am aware of. The statistical odds of that are astronomical.

Bottom line - if you like the bike, the price is right, and you have the means to buy it, any self induced fear of "the tick" should be totally ignored and your should proceed with a vengeance.

Good luck.

An '04 Gen III ?? Now that's a rare bike indeed! Better snap it up before someone else does, it might be a collectors item some day