Seattle to Winthrop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harper

Which side is the brake on?
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Seattle, WA : floating down the atmospheric river
I didn't take any photos of Seattle because I live there and I didn't take any photos of Winthrop because it's just a cute cowboy town. I did take several photos with my cheapo dumb phone and selected three. Because there were three I couldn't post this is the one photo ride report thread.

My house to Winthrop was 380 miles round trip. My longest (distance) ride to date. The North Cascade Highway (WA SR-20) was pretty empty on a Monday. It rained on me a little bit several times but just enough to get the windshield and my visor lightly dotted with droplets. Retirement beats the hell out of working for a living because you can ride when no one else is around.

I ate lunch at Lake Diablo looking out at this miserable view:

LakeDiablo.jpg

This is part of the view from the Washington Pass overlook at 5477 feet elevation on the way back from Winthrop. It looks like this in panorama from the overlook with practically vertical, snow-covered karsts all around:

WashingtonPass.jpg

And, look what happened here. This is an '06 that I bought with only 22000 miles on it last May. I put 8000 miles on it in a year as opposed to the previous owners' 2200 mile per year average:

Odometer30000.jpg

I took that photo going downhill so the speedometer wrapped around past 180mph back to zero. It was hard to take that shot with one hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL^^^^^ That was some grade on the down hill!!

Seattle is the only place I've been to where it was CLEARLY raining (I could see water falling in the air), and yet I stood in it for an hour and my arms were completely dry. Don't know why I just thought of that.

Regardless, your lunch place was choice and for a minute, I was imagining myself sitting on the bank with a sandwich and a piece of fruit; studying the topography.

380 conquered.... keep going.

LOL^^^^^ That was some grade on the down hill!!
Seattle is the only place I've been to where it was CLEARLY raining (I could see water falling in the air), and yet I stood in it for an hour and my arms were completely dry. Don't know why I just thought of that.
I went off-road and was going down one of the rock karsts in the second photo.

True dat about the rain. Here, I only call it real rain if you can hear it hit the ground. Mostly it's just falling mist.

Latest posts