Top box, I hate/love mine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cav47

Adventure Seeker
Reaction score
It happens every trip. At some stage of trip planning, we all start thinking about what goes where. So on the trip to Red Lodge, I am doing a Saddle Sore across the plains. So from a wind standpoint, the top box seems to catch more than I appreciate. Economically, it sucks fuel, minor amounts I know. The real reason is I just hate the way it looks. I am laying out all my stuff and wrestling with what I should, have, want to take.

The other aspect is the utility of it. Waterproof, swallows my huge computer, perfect height to throw misc. stuff in. Extra room for rain gear, camping gear, "drinks" and almost anything else. Secure place for electronics upon stops and rain protection. High mounted brake light for idiots in cars. Place for souvenirs for the family.

I could get by without it this trip, but I could use the extra room for stuff to make the trip more comfortable. Did I ever say how ugly it makes the profile of my amazing 2004?

. So it really comes down to form vs function.

Totally agree. My Givi Maxia is probably about at attractive as they get (which isn't saying much), but I've never been fond of the overall bike profile with it on. If I'm just going on a day ride, I usually take it off. But if it's commuting, I'll need it for my laptop bag, since my gym bag goes in one sidecase and the other is filled with rain gear and such. And if I'm riding with the wife, she likes the backrest aspect of it.

I always have mine...guess i've gotten use to it.
huh.png

Without a passenger it definitely seems to catch the wind and feels like it moves you around at highway speeds. I've found that using my Motofizz tail bag on the pillion seat negates the wind affect. Just pack some stuff on the pillion seat and that should help with the handling quirks.You can always take the top box off and leave it in your room once you arrive.

I guess I don't care how I look while I'm riding, and I like the convenience of it - especially for throwing in my helmet and jacket if I'm "out and about"..

I've struggled with that as well but like said before once you have one you wonder how you made it without. My preference is the OEM box, just goes with the bike IMO. But others look decent as well. You can never have enough storage space.

I've never cared for the look of them, but I know the functionality of them are worth their weight in gold. Looking ahead to YFO17 I know I'm going to have to get one.

I put off getting a top box for several years, including one with the Gen 1 FJR. Thought it looked like a big pimple on my arse. When I started camping, there was no choice. Since then, I can't imagine touring without it.

They are just so dog gone convenient. The box is bottomless and access to it is immediate. With the camping bag strapped on the pillion seat, access to either saddle bag is tough.

I think the V46 looks pretty decent, especially with the color matched lid for my '14.

FWIW - while I didn't notice much difference in the handling with the top box on the Gen 1 (especially at speeds below 80), it is even less (barely noticeable) on the Gen 3 bike. So Josh - get off your butt and find a Gen 3 - in the name of top box aerodynamics, if nothing else.

In the meantime, pack the top box and bring it. Just do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like a Russell Day-Long saddle, my Givi E460 Monokey is about function over form. Once I left my Gold Wing and HD show-and-shine days behind me that whole issue of what it looks like while the wheels are rolling fell away like scales from my eyes.

For me bikes are fun and exciting transportation, not butt/driveway/parking lot jewelry.

If I am on a longer (multi day) trip, my wife is usually on the back. She will not even ride on the bike without the trunk on there as it provides a feeling of security and she can lean back against it. But if she is not on the bike, neither is my Givi V46.

I'm used to packing and using exactly one saddlebag for all my own personal belongings and 1/2 of the V46 trunk for liners, gloves, booze and a netbook PC. If the wife isn't on I would get to use two entire saddlebags, which is more space than I am used to. It's all about learning what you really need to have along, and just leave the rest at home.

The only way that I would have the trunk on without a passenger is if I were going to camp, in which case I'd have the trunk on and a dry bag on the passenger seat for hauling the camping gear. The size Large 24" Dry Pak dry bag (a steal at $40) on the seat eliminates the high speed aerodynamic weave you get on the highway with just the trunk on there and no passenger.

No-brainer for me. I spent years with slim city cases and only a tiny radio topbox on my BMW. Every single day was a case of barely getting the bare minimum in the bike. I had a Givi and SR357 ordered for the '14 FJR the. day. I. bought. it. I prefer the look without a topcase, but it's just not that big a deal. I've been stopped by other folks who lusted after the model case I have and wanted to talk about it. Odd but true. It's not just having storage, it's stowing and pulling gear at just above waist height, the most convenient position, rather than bending over and fooling with the side cases. I use them for less frequently accessed gear. So, I acknowledge that the bike looks a little better without a topcase. But to the average eye, I think it just makes it look like someone who uses their bike heavily and travels on it. I have a Givi E55 that I used exclusively for a while. I've gone a week at a time with no topcase, commuting, just for a change, and I cannot wait each time to go back to the convenience and storage of the topcase. My E55 got a little play in the lid that I cannot diagnose or fix, and I've retired it for exclusive LD use or use with the wife. My everyday case is a V47 Tech, with an N in the name somewhere. The slightly smaller size, less round shape, and predominantly black exterior look much more like the case came with the bike. I have no wind or FJR nominal speed problems with either case. I would buy either again.

I'm stranded in an office just off the French Quarter in meetings all day. And tomorrow I'm piloting an unmarked GOV grannymobile back to the promised land. I wish I'd found a way to justify riding here and back. I'd give my big ass topcase a hug if it were here.

Passenger = trunk = always

No passenger ≠ trunk

The Givi V47N for my '15ES is a lot less ugly than some trunks. I only have the trunk on for special needs if I don't have a passenger.

My FJR when it was bare-ass naked new.

i-Z6Fx2zD-XL.jpg

I don't have one, because, like you, I don't like the looks of it on the bike. I believe it's one of those things where you're fine without one, until you start using one, then like crack, you can't live without it.
sleep.png
Pop absolutely refused to get one because it disrupted the beauty of his '07. He liked it when I put one on my ST1300 but he still refused to get one.

One day I dropped off two boxes in front of his bike one day with a Givi SR357 and a Givi V46. He has NEVER removed the V46 since.

Without a passenger it definitely seems to catch the wind and feels like it moves you around at highway speeds. I've found that using my Motofizz tail bag on the pillion seat negates the wind affect. Just pack some stuff on the pillion seat and that should help with the handling quirks.You can always take the top box off and leave it in your room once you arrive.
When traveling I have a waterproof duffel on the passenger seat and that seems to smooth out the airflow.

My FJR is in the parking lot now with no top box. I can pop the V47 Tech on or off in seconds depending on what I am doing. That is one investment I am 100% satisfied with.

Luv mine; I alwayz have a GIVI V46 on fer work, or when touring w/ my wife/sister, butt lately when touring solo, I've been using just the top case 'n leave'in the saddle bags off. I've found w/ just the top case, the bike "falls" into corners better. Seems mor convenient to just throw crap in it. Don't care wut it looks like, cuz I can't see it whilst ride'in.

Work_Bike_zps2cd57eca.jpg

Agree it looks a tiny bit better without it. But I leave my top box on all the time. Just too functional. I also have never felt any issue with stability at any speed.

I love it's functionality/usefulness. It fits my gym bag and lunch box much better than side cases.

I can't see it when riding and it don't look bad anyways. No issues with bike handling until 120 or so. That was a V46 on the 2005. I haven't speed tested the 2014-V47 set up yet.