Staying Sharp - ZARS Advanced Riding School

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjrettig

Reaction score
I spent Sunday attending ZARS (Zalusky Advanced Riding School - ridezars.com) at DCTC (Dakota County Technical College) in Rosemount (south of Minneapolis/St.Paul) MN. This was my second session with them. I completed level 1 last year. I did level 2 this time and was promoted to level 3 for next session. They go all the way to level 6 with level 5 and 6 for people more dedicated towards track experience. The training happens on a closed, 1 mile course - it is not a track. It is more like real life riding because that there are man hole covers, various pavement surfaces, etc. The course gets used for truck driving training.

The day is structured so you get 20 minutes coaching, 20 minutes track time, and 20 minutes rest. This goes on all day. I had time for 83 laps on Sunday. When riding, they put groups together (1/2, 3/4, and 5/6) so you are on the course with people with similar skill levels and speed. They have controlled passing areas as well. With being on a closed course you really get to built confidence and hone the technique and implement the feedback from the coaches.

My reason for attending is to my street riding ability and confidence. I have been riding for 40+ years and logged many miles but I know there is always something I can improve on. I feel it helps me keep my riding skills sharp. I know the FJR has more capability than I do (which I appreciate), but I am now more confident in using more of its ability than I have been in the past. On the street I would never ride as aggressively as I did on Sunday just because there are too many variables on the street. But, knowing that I could use my improved skills to get me out of a "situation" if/when needed, makes me a better and safer rider over all.

I am sure there are other trainings like this offered around the country. As we all know, riding a motorcycle is dangerous. We all spend time and money doing things to maintain/improve our rides. I would encourage everyone to also remember to spend time/money to improve ourselves. There are many ways to do that. For me, ZARS is one tool to help me do that.

NOTE: I am not affiliated with ZARS. Just a happy customer spreading the word.

Thanks for sharing Rick. This is a timely reminder for me about the importance of always looking to improve my skills. I just noticed on their website a "sport touring/cruiser" advanced riding course in July. I wonder what that one is all about. Might have to investigate further.....

When signing up for level 1 I asked the same question. The response was it is basically the same information. They talk a little more about body position on corning due to the limited lean angles of many of these bikes (cruisers). At levels 1 and 2 you will see a real mix of bikes. This time level 1 (regular class) had a full dressed Harley, a couple of other v-twin cruisers, BMW GS, and many others. I choose to not attend the specific sport touring/cruiser but went with the general class. It was fun to see and hear the response from others about how "capable" the FJR was - much better than most expected! But of course we already knew that!

In my opinion, go with the regular class. I know the pace for level 1 this past week was slower because of the cruisers that were in the class. If you had a whole class of them, the pace would be affected.

Zars is great. I know there is better Advanced Riding Schools in the country but I can't be picky when its only a three hour drive away. I have been there three times with my last time attending with my two sons. My youngest son sold his R6 the week we were scheduled to go, so I reluctantly loaned him my Ducati 999 and I had to ride my 2013 FJR. It was a hoot riding the big girl out on the 17 turns on the 1 mile road course. Riding and focusing that hard is exhausting and a few times I was actually ready to get off the track after 20 minutes as I was a little physically and mentally drained. I have the schedule on my desk but have not planned a 2016 ZARS date yet. I'm thinking about attending a ZARS track day event September 5 at Brainerd International Raceway. Just to say I have attended a real trackday.

Me riding the Ducati 999 at ZARS

Me on the FJR

One of my favorite pictures with my two sons. They were fired up after this day and both were shopping for track bikes for ZARS and track days.

I had a blast attending ZARS with the FJR and didn't get passed by any sport bikes. It was funny having that thing leaned over as far as I dared and hammering on the throttle while watching the traction control light blinking like crazy attempting to prevent me from hurting myself. The track photographer took some pretty good pictures but I wish he would have set on the long right had carousel turn as that was the only corner I was able to get a knee down on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator: