How fast will a bike stop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm, on the FJR you simply grab the brakes and let tire traction determine the stopping distance, the ABS nanny will sort it out for you. To be an 'expert' you would have to pull the ABS fuse and let your manly riding skills produce shorter distances, like many of you know you can do, every time, no matter what the traction, no matter how big the surprise was that caused the brakes to be activated. I'll check my manly, studly confidence and leave the fuse in. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Useful information, and the video uses FJRs for the demonstration. I think you avoided NEPRT!

Umm, on the FJR you simply grab the brakes and let tire traction determine the stopping distance, the ABS nanny will sort it out for you. To be an 'expert' you would have to pull the ABS fuse and let your manly riding skills produce shorter distances, like many of you know you can do, every time, no matter what the traction, no matter how big the surprise was that caused the brakes to be activated.
Takes an expert to use the front brake and engage the ABS, ya know?

Umm, on the FJR you simply grab the brakes and let tire traction determine the stopping distance, the ABS nanny will sort it out for you. To be an 'expert' you would have to pull the ABS fuse and let your manly riding skills produce shorter distances, like many of you know you can do, every time, no matter what the traction, no matter how big the surprise was that caused the brakes to be activated. I'll check my manly, studly confidence and leave the fuse in. YMMV.
On wet and slick surfaces, experts have demonstrated a consistent ability to stop faster when not using ABS. Certainly I could not.

My take-away from the video is we don’t stop as fast as we think we can.

On wet and slick surfaces, experts have demonstrated a consistent ability to stop faster when not using ABS. Certainly I could not.
My take-away from the video is we don’t stop as fast as we think we can.
On wet and slick surfaces, non-experts without ABS sometimes have a tendency to oopsie. I think that's the scientific term for it.

EDIT: Good video with a good message. I had the sound off, so I don't know if the audio sucked.

On wet and slick surfaces, non-experts without ABS sometimes have a tendency to oopsie. I think that's the scientific term for it.
That is the term for the event, it is typically pronounced, "OOHHHHH SSSSHHHIIIIITTTTT" followed by the big boom.

Good video. New cars definitely can outbrake bikes, a lot of new cars will just stop on a dime. Don't tailgate!

That is the term for the event, it is typically pronounced, "OOHHHHH SSSSHHHIIIIITTTTT" followed by the big boom.
biggrin.png
biggrin.png

Excellent demonstration of the braking capability of the FJR. Braking is one of the skills that we all should practice, but few do. A recent article I read talked about controls and whether you think about your controls or think with them. The difference is the time it takes to respond with what you think you should do or just properly responding.(if that makes sense)

I found myself stopping much faster, with a lot more confidence now that I have ABS and the FJR. I've been in the "oh shit" situations as some of you mentioned above. I always tried to let off, and reapply the brakes. I never went down by braking hard, but I did end up sideways in my lane when my rear wheel tracked all the way around. On my V-star my wife's butt came off the seat and I again stopped the bike at an angle (after the rear started working its way around). Mr. Cager ran a stop sign and then stopped in the middle of the road when he realized we were about to say hello
arrowheadsmiley.png
. You can stop with a locked up rear, but not a locked up front end. Traction control and ABS are great things to have on a bike. I doubt I will ever go back to a non-ABS bike.

if ya hit a 4' x 4' x 4' block of concrete at ANY speed you will stop immediately, guaranteed no matter what
Doing say 100 mph, a concrete block that is only 4' high will ensure that the bike will stop in as much time as it takes to pancake the frame but the rider is likely to continue over the top; eventually skidding to a stop several hundred feet down the road. Final distance depends upon what other objects are encountered and the coefficient of friction between the rider's gear/skin/bone etc. and the surface of the pavement.

A report by DOT on March 2006 measures the breaking of a lightly loaded 2006 FJR1300, the report really defines tire condition, brake temps and traction conditions

Dry surface

With ABS Without ABS

41.11' 34.12 -17.7% @ 30 mph A highly skilled rider could stop more than 17% quicker without ABS in a controlled situation
260' 221' -14.8% @ 80 mph and when wet took 15% longer

Wet surface

50.79' 61.06' +20.2% @ 30 mph

Cycle World 2014 FJR1300 measured braking distance from 30 mph 35 ft. and from 60 mph 138 ft

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has highway safety information and a lot of math and big words about braking.

FWIW, my stock 2 ton Impala SS with ABS went 60 - 0 in 117'. After tires and suspension work the 2 ton car went 60 - 0 in 109'.

Several motorcycle magazines noted that the Gen I and early Gen II FJRs had a much larger stopping distance span ABS vs no ABS compared to other bikes in its class. Apparently someplace along the way Yamaha has addressed the situation and now the with/without span is much smaller.

I've tested the braking in parking lots and on the highway -- some events were more than testing. The FJR stops really quickly, and in a well-behaved manner ... when straight-line and straight up. Haven't much tried it leaning or in a curve because 1980's training taught that hard braking under those circumstances is pretty much a guaranteed fail.

Interesting that cars stop quicker. Something to remember that during my urban freeway commutes. (Larger "normal force"?)

Physics says that friction is independent of surface area but in the real world one of my Impala SS 17x285x40 tires had about 8 times the contact patch of my entire FJR. I had added a bit to my earlier post while you were posting.

Totally irrelevant but a fun fact, on the street, if I did nothing to manage traction and simply slammed the gas peddle down I could smoke those 285 tires to over 60 mph. At the drag strip, when stock it took 2.3 seconds to travel the first 60', later in life it took 1.72 seconds for 60'. In drag racing there are several speed breaks where measurement is made, 60' times is one of the indicators of traction and acceleration force. My '04 FJR ran 60' times around 1.68 to 1.70 60' times.

ionbeam posted: Physics says that friction is independent of surface area...
MajBach posted: Only on a smooth, homogeneous dry surface.
Picky, picky. We all know plenty of smooth, homogenous surfaces. They're called Interstate Highways.

As for dry, in Georgia, that would be the counties of Bulloch, Butts, Coweta, Decatur, Effingham, Hart, Lumpkin, Murray, Union, and Upson; only a few of those allow on-site consumption in bars and hotels. White County "went wet" in 2015.

If you've been drinking, it will take a LOT longer for your bike to stop.