Regular vs Heavy rated tires question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sath182

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a thread discussing this after using both the site search tool and google searches.

I would like to hear if anyone has had experience with running the same model of tires in both regular and GT/Heavy rated versions (PR4 vs. PR4 GT). I'm interested in if there were any observable differences; road feel, bump compliance, longevity, etc.

For reference, I'm a primarily solo rider with light loading, usually just my lunch and a few other misc items. Sometimes I get a chance to take a weekend and go camping in the mountains, probably an extra 30-50lbs depending on what i take. I almost never ride two up.

I will be getting new tires next month and am curious if I really need to get GT/Heavy spec tires.

I really don't want this to go to NEPRT, so lets keep focused on Normal vs GT experiences and stay away from which tire is best.

Howdy neighbor!

I have used both the normal and the GT spec. No noticeable difference to me. I choose the GT Spec of the Bridgestone T30 simply because they are the least expensive, and b/c they are designed for the heavier sport touring motorcycles. And I think I read somewhere Bridgestone designed this tire specifically for the FJR1300.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sath, I recently purchased a set of Pirellia Angel GT A Spec tires specifically because they are rated to handle a heavier bike. The tire does "feel" stiffer compared to the previous Pilot Road 2's that were present and the ride is a little harder. I am hoping to get better mileage out of a heavier tire. The only down side was the pain in the butt that they were mounting them on the rims. I'll be posting a long term review in the next 10,000 miles or so.

I have never paid extra for the heavier weight rated tire. I ride about 50% 2 up and also tow a trailer frequently. I get excellent tire wear out of the standard rated tires.

Howdy neighbor!
I have used both the normal and the GT spec. No noticeable difference to me. I choose the GT Spec of the Bridgestone T30 simply because they are the least expensive, and b/c they are designed for the heavier sport touring motorcycles. And I think I read somewhere Bridgestone designed this tire specifically for the FJR1300.
I have never paid extra for the heavier weight rated tire. I ride about 50% 2 up and also tow a trailer frequently. I get excellent tire wear out of the standard rated tires.
These are the kind of answers I was hoping for. I've been looking mostly at GT spec tires, but the regular ones are much easier to find.

Pilot, what kind of mileage difference have you seen between the two ratings?

Intech, what's your mileage like with the standard tires?

I'm pretty hard on tires. I only get about 3 to 4k on rear tires and about 4 to 6k on front tires (independent of tire model/brand). I have run the PR2s - they were ok. Switched to the BT-023-GTs and liked a little better (not much) then switched to the T30-GTs a couple years ago when they came out and absolutely love them and that's what I run today. I have read in many places the PR4s are superior to everything available but have not tried them simply due to cost. Spooning on the GT spec tire is a friggen wrestling match. Those side walls must be laced with Kevlar, Titanium, and 316 Stainless Steel. It ain't rubber (it just looks like it).

I have not run regular PR4s, but switched from regular PR2s to PR4 GT and noticed no difference in ride quality. My bike has AK20s and a Penske shock.

Like FJR-Pilot, I am hard on tires. I *hope* I get many miles out of them, but can't say for now.

Unlike FJR-Pilot, I had no issue getting them on. Getting the PR2s off was much more difficult, but probably because they were "ambient" temp, while I put the new tires in the truck facing the sun so they were nice and warm..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure that all the standard vs heavy tires have the same weight rating. The question is do they have a noticeable difference in performance particularly in a solo application? So far the answer is... not really for the FJR. Who knows about other (heavier) bikes.

I'd guess the main difference is how they behave when you're heavily loaded and leaning aggressively.

With the extra sidewall plies the stronger tire likely flexes less side-to-side when you're leaned over.

But I wonder how important that is for a solo rider that doesn't usually carry very much weight. Could it even detract from the compliance of the tire and give a rougher ride?

the stiffer sidewall provides better rim protection from square edged hits. potholes, steel expansion joints etc.

if you hit a square edge hard while leaned over most of the energy will be directed at 1 side of your rim.

i bent (and had straightened) my front wheel on a mound of asphalt.

it was a hard hit but wasn't close to square and that's all it took to bend with Michelin PR2 installed by previous owner.

i ride aggressive solo with soft luggage exclusively and am sticking with the tires the tire manufacturers and yamaha recommend.

I have run the PR4GTs and now have a set of PR4 non GTs. I notice no difference in the handling or the ride. I do however seem to be having a big difference in mileage. I think I am only going to get about 75% as many miles off the nonGT PR4s. I have to look up some invoices to be sure of exact numbers. Plus, I am not quite done with this set yet.

For reference. I am never 2 up. Mostly solo on long straight flat roads in FL. Some trips to the curvy roads and a few trips with heavy gear.

Does danh600's data indicate that the heavy-spec tire has different rubber compounds to account for the heavier bike?

I thought that In the case of the PR4 they did, but it turns out the only advertised difference between them is the belt construction. I also haven't seen too much from other brands in that regard, though.

Well I ride mostly solo but do have a passenger occasionally, so perhaps the GT is a better choice for me?

I'm anxious to wear out these tires, so I can figure out if they were worth the premium price.