Ergodyne Dry Evaporative Cooling Vest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

formerly "herfjr"
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this particular vest?

Toolsofthetrade website says

"......The newest addition to the Chill-Its line, the 6685 vest is designed to keep you cool for days without leaving you feeling damp."

Does it really work? Anyone know?

Wow those are pretty bad reviews. I guess I'll steer away from it.

^^^. That one looks good and the price is def better. Does your shirt get wet when you wear it?

For about 7 years I have worn this one any time it is over 90F and it works very well. Now. That said. These devices work through a principal called "evaporative cooling" and therefore it is widely known that this device is less effective in warm, humid areas like where I live the southeastern United States. This is because the air is so heavily saturated with moisture (it's humid) that water tends to evaporate at a much slower rate than it does in drier climates. In other words (generally speaking): in conditions over 50% humidity they do not work as well as they do in conditions where the humidity is below 50%.

However, in my experience with it even in the higher humidities, this cooling device is an absolute life saver for me. I am very heat intolerant and on those days where you have direct sunshine, high temps (over 90F), and high humidity (over 70%) I do not leave home without it. I simply soak mine for about 5 minutes in the kitchen sink, lightly wring it out, and insert it into a 1 gallon zip lock bag and then stow it in my tail bag (or side bag) as I depart. Then later in the day when the temps go over 90F I remove it, slip it on and ahhhhhhh. Relief! If you plan to wear it for more than 3 hours bring at least another 25 oz of water to re-soak it after it dries out. More relief!

I'm heading up to the north Georgia mountains in about an hour to meet a few friends at Whissenhunt OHV Trails and ride in the dirt for a few hours. Supposed to be 95F today but I won't suffer
winksmiley02.gif

^^^. That one looks good and the price is def better. Does your shirt get wet when you wear it?
Yes. Your shirt gets soaking wet when you wear an evaporative cooling vest. But it feels sooooo good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also.. when you take off the vest, after it seems to have "used up", your shirt is still wet and under mesh gear, it also cools you as you ride.

That's the one I have and it works just fine for me..

I like this onehttps://store.soundrider.com/products/techniche-evaporative-cooling-vest-save-10
That's the one I used last year in the desert and I'm glad I had it. I've never tried it in a high-humidity situation, but I'm sure if you aren't evaporating as fast, it'll be less effective.

That's the one I used last year in the desert and I'm glad I had it. I've never tried it in a high-humidity situation, but I'm sure if you aren't evaporating as fast, it'll be less effective.
They're the ones we wear also. Bought them quite a few years ago and they're still great in this Sacramento summer heat.

Yes, your t-shirt gets wet. Isn't it supposed to ?
punk.gif

I like this onehttps://store.soundrider.com/products/techniche-evaporative-cooling-vest-save-10

They have a few other versions too. I had the Firstgear vest before, but it is too bulky when wet.
This is the same make that I use. Works great when used with my mesh coat.

The 3 reviews on Amazon certainly aren't very promising, but none of the 3 reviewers actually used the vest on a motorcycle. Looks like they are guys working out in the hot sun hoping for some relief. I would like to see a review from someone who used the vest on a bike. Maybe it works better with more air flow. Just an observation.

The 3 reviews on Amazon certainly aren't very promising, but none of the 3 reviewers actually used the vest on a motorcycle. Looks like they are guys working out in the hot sun hoping for some relief. I would like to see a review from someone who used the vest on a bike. Maybe it works better with more air flow. Just an observation.
That's a great observation. I did a little more digging and there is a vest very similar to the Ergodyne, the Macna Dry Cooling Vest, at Twisted Throttle. There are 20 reviews there, with an average score of 3.1 out of 5.0. It's also on sale with limited sizes.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/macna-dry-cooling-vest

Last edited by a moderator:
I did just under 600 miles today. Almost all over 90 degrees with high humidity. Even though I'm almost cooled off now, I'm enjoying just reading about cooling vests. Garauld sent me a cooler price, and I have two camelbaks. But I keep leaving the house without them, forcing me to chug water at fuel stops.

Camelback in a tank bag is an easy way to ensure you stay hydrated. Having it right there kind of forces you to take a sip now and then. It makes a world of difference. I wear a Neotec, modular, so it's easy while cruising or stopped for a minute.

I flew sailplanes for a while. One of our annual seminars, a doctor talked about staying safe in the air. He said, if you're not peeing, you're dehydrated. So I make a point to carry my water, and drink it. It really makes a difference..

OFace and Tyler were talking up HyperKewls or something like that this weekend. Maybe my spelling is wrong. Either way, they liked the vests!

Theresa and I use these: TechNiche International Adult HyperKewl Cooling Sport Vest. They work very well. We got them from Amazon but the link from "Orders" comes up with personal information. For evaporative cooling to work, you need water exposed to the air. Similarly, to best cool you, water next to skin conducts heat better than air. Before this, we would go to a truck stop and stand in the shower in our gear. Worked great, but not for as long as the HyperKewl.