2013 fairing "vent" options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorSSJ

Reaction score
I'm wondering on the purpose of the different settings. If I set them to the optional setting, do they direct more fresh air towards the rider? Or do they channel warmer air off of the engine towards the rider?

My dealer told me to move the panel inserts toward the back, or flared outward for summer riding. It diverts more of the air flow outward to better carry the engine heat around the outside of your legs.

Ask a dozen people get a dozen different answers...

You would think that Yamaha would have better explained what the 2 positions are for in the Owner's Manual.

I leave them in the out position because they protect my legs a little in the rain. In the cold, they keep some of the cold wind off my legs, too.

I figured it out.

"In" position cooks your legs with no exposed screw holes.

"Out" position cooks your legs with exposed screw holes.

I'll stay "In".. looks neater..

I leave them in the out position because they protect my legs a little in the rain. In the cold, they keep some of the cold wind off my legs, too.
Cold? in Florida?
Who stays in Florida with an FJR?
smile.png
Not me.

Just got back from NC. Go twice a year, and once is in December. A bit chilly (but I've had the Gap all to myself a couple times!).

And it actually can get below freezing once in awhile in Florida. Certainly get enough rain... lots of rain. And flatness; lots of flatness.
smile.png

I leave one out and one in. I'm very fast in left hand corners.

All the way to NC.... Shazam!!!

Almost no difference between the two positions. They definitely don't direct more heat around the legs when they're out. If anything, it's the opposite. After 30K miles, the only difference I can tell is that, with the panels outward, they provide a little more wind protection in cold weather. A half inch more protection on each side.