July 10th 2016 RTE to BIG Johnson's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel_Gin

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get this going but the family summer schedule just got finalized on my end. During Tech Day at Mike and Laura's we talked about doing an RTE in the Finger Lakes area in July some time. Unfortunately July 10th is the only day I can do this, all the other Sundays are booked.

So the place I picked is called Big Johnson's in Hector NY, address: 5800 NY-414, Hector, NY 14841. (It's on the east side of Seneca Lake about 3/4 of the way down.) Thinking meeting up at 12:30 would be a good time. My thought is on the off chance people want to sleep in just a bit, possibly give someone who might be traveling a bit further than most a little extra time to get there or if you're local get a few extra miles in before lunch. It has been about five years since I've been there and it was good then. Since they're still open it has to be a good sign, right??
smile.png
I remember the place has some real character to it and friendly staff.

I know this falls at the tail end of when a lot of people take vacation for July 4th week. If you're on your way home from vacation consider stopping here for lunch even if it's in a cage.

If you want a little more info on the place just go to the big G and do a search for Big Johnsons Hector NY.

Post up here or PM me if you will be attending, I'll get a list going and call ahead with a head count. This will be a rain or shine event, even if I dare say I'll get there with more than two wheels if the weather forces me to.

Wish I could make this RTE...but we come back from Mexico at 11:56 pm on the 9th, and I won't have my bike back till the 12th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dean,

Wish I could attend but don't want to risk it...I'm trying to save my tires for NAFO.

BTW, I loved the place we went last year.

Steve

Dean, have not seen anyone commit yet, It is still on a "possible" ride for me. 269 miles one way for lunch and need to be home that evening. Not a record ride I know. Still deciding

John

Dean,
Wish I could attend but don't want to risk it...I'm trying to save my tires for NAFO.

BTW, I loved the place we went last year.

Steve
Steve,

That area was on my radar but after a suggestion to pick a place in the Finger Lakes and wanting to mix it up a little this what I came up with. Going back to Tippy or that general area will be on the RTE list next year. Enjoy NAFO!!

Dean, have not seen anyone commit yet, It is still on a "possible" ride for me. 269 miles one way for lunch and need to be home that evening. Not a record ride I know. Still decidingJohn
John,

I have a couple friends who are not FJR riders going and Mike & Laura might have a commitment on the 10th. KJ I believe has this on his radar as well as LittleJohn & Mel. So come one or come all I'm going to be there with my youngest rain or shine. Hope to see you there!!

We picked up Mel's new ride this past Friday. She's putting it on the road today, but I've got some modifications to make (height) before she is ready to ride. I hope to have it done tonight. I'm sure she's hoping for the same. Nothing like having a brand new bike that she can do nothing with but look at it. We're still planning on coming. I'll be bringing my boy on the feej, Mel will be on her new Honda CB500X.

We picked up Mel's new ride this past Friday. She's putting it on the road today, but I've got some modifications to make (height) before she is ready to ride. I hope to have it done tonight. I'm sure she's hoping for the same. Nothing like having a brand new bike that she can do nothing with but look at it. We're still planning on coming. I'll be bringing my boy on the feej, Mel will be on her new Honda CB500X.
Nice!! Looking forward to see both of you and the new ride.

We aren't going to make it. We're in Canandaigua, an hour out, and we're going to turn around. We had made a couple unplanned stops, and we're making a call to cut it short. I'm sorry we're going to miss it, but hopefully we'll make the next one.

We did make it home safe. Again, I'm sorry that we didn't make it. I thought we had left in the morning with a comfortable time cushion. I was wrong. But it was a learning experience. It was Mel's first triple digit day, at 205 miles riding her own bike.

We had to make a couple unplanned stops due to the "cold". I say that with great affection. We stopped on the return trip at a dollar general and snagged a hooded sweatshirt. An hour from home, I asked her if it was serving it purpose. She said it was perfect. I told her it was 82 degrees, and she should count on wearing warmer clothes, no matter what the temp.

I had my own issues as well. I, like 90% of the country, have minor back pain from a car accident a bunch of years back. It's never stopped me from riding. But.... I fell out of a tree last weekend, and I wasn't in nearly as good of shape as I thought I was.

It was a mutual disappointing decision to cut and run.

Next time. I promise I'll stay out of the trees, and I'll pack extra stuff for Mel.

phone%20138_zps2qp4mxau.jpg

I'm not a professional, but I'm no rookie. The rope is tied to the saw, otherwise, it's just a free-climb. And no, this isn't the tree I fell out of....