FJR Fees

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fleuger99

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Yesterday discussed a deal with my local dealer here in Texas. I got what I thought was a good deal on a 2016 FJR1300A. MSRP was $16390 and the sale price is $14725. My question is around dealer fees. When I bought my BMW in Boston the fees were not as crazy as here so I am not sure if it's a Texas thing, Yamaha thing or ???. What did you guys pay in fees?

The two crazy ones are:

Dealer Prep - $589

Transportation - $718

I'd love to hear what other's paid, really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

I think it is more dealer based than Yahmaha based... but ask BigJohn, he would have some insight into dealership doings.

When I bought my 2013 there were no freight or setup charges. Dealer charged $199 service fee for paperwork I'm guessing. Only other charges were tax and title fees.

Not recalling exact numbers from other posts on these fees, but they seem high.

From what I have read on other posts what people paid I'm of the opinion that if your out the door price is at or a few hundred below MSRP it's a fair deal. My out the door definition is, bike, registration, tax and any other fee they want to add on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not recalling exact numbers from other posts on these fees, but they seem high.
From what I have read on other posts what people paid I'm of the opinion that if your out the door price is at or a few hundred below MSRP it's a fair deal. My out the door definition is, bike, registration, tax and any other fee they want to add on.
My OTD price is $900 over MSRP or $17290. They did give me more than any other dealer on trade for my 2012 BMW R1200R but with all these fees they are making it back and then some. I thought transportation fee of $718 is crazy as that's almost what you pay for transportation on a new car and no one they can be close in terms of cost to transport. Thanks for your response.

Here are all the fees:

Dealer Prep - $589

Transportation - $718

VIT - $30.99

License - $89

Doc Fee - $125

Sales tax - $1003

$6375 for my trade and final numbers are: OTD $17310

$0.00 Freight

$0.00 Setup

$0.00 Advertising fee

$0.00 Sales tax

$0.00 Transportation fee

New Hampshire -- Live Free or Die -- says it right there on the state license plates.

Your #'s aren't adding up. I see you listed what they're giving you for your BMW but what do you still OWE on it? This could be why you're paying more than MSRP, besides all the fees.

You can't avoid the tax, title and license fees. I just bought a 2016 ES and didn't pay near the fees you are, but I'm in Iowa. My OTD price was less than yours but my trade in netted me some cash down.

Around here freight is about $300 and dealer prep is usually under $100, but it can vary a lot from dealer to dealer. You can negotiate them to be included in the price, but it doesn't really affect the final price whether it is included or added at the end.

Sales tax and vehicle registration (license) vary by state and sometimes county, but they are the same for everyone in your state/county.

Doc fee is charged by the dealer for them to do their job. This should be negotiable.

That said, the dealer is entitled to charge what they want for their part of the fees and the buyer is entitled to walk away from the deal. That is why people like to talk about 'out the door prices' rather than negotiating some low price for the motorcycle and pay more in fees. The bottom line is about how deep you have to reach into your wallet before you ride away.

The advantage of getting a higher trade-in value, at least in NY, is that we only pay sales tax on the price minus the trade-in.

Dealer fees are just another way to increase the sales price. Sometimes you get a deeper discount off MSRP and then part of that is added back in with higher dealer fees (or a deep discount with no fees at all like D&H is doing to move more bikes). Looks like they are offering you about 10% off MSRP, which is a good discount, but their $1,307 in fees is high. When I bought my '16ES here in Houston I got 10% off MSRP and paid $798 in fees--$399 freight and $399 prep (and got a decent trade-in price for my '13A). This was after I had made a deal with an Austin area dealer, that ended up not being able to get me the bike, for 10% off with only $300 in fees. You have no control over the title and license fees (which are always about $250 in Texas) or sales tax (which is always 6 1/4% of the final sales price less the trade-in value).

$0.00 Freight$0.00 Setup

$0.00 Advertising fee

$0.00 Sales tax

$0.00 Transportation fee

New Hampshire -- Live Free or Die -- says it right there on the state license plates.
Show off!! :)

That is why when I lived in the Boston area I'd ride up to Max BMW near Portsmouth and purchase my farkles there as there was no sales tax.

Yup, I get it, its about the OTD price. I realize taxes and some fees like licensing are what they are.

Training Pilot, I owe nothing on my BMW, it is paid for.

You got screwed and they didn't bother using any lube.

Got my 2013 in Sept of 2013 for $13970 OTD (including Tax, Title, Tag, and 4 year Y.E.S.) and it had 0.0 miles on the odo

You got screwed and they didn't bother using any lube.
Got my 2013 in Sept of 2013 for $13970 OTD (including Tax, Title, Tag, and 4 year Y.E.S.) and it had 0.0 miles on the odo
I've not purchased it yet, I'm waiting until next month so I can easily walk away from this deal. Thanks for the valuable comments

$0.00 Freight$0.00 Setup

$0.00 Advertising fee

$0.00 Sales tax

$0.00 Transportation fee

I got the same deal as ionbeam, but that is because we bought at the same dealership (MOM's in ManchVegas). In my case, mine was still a current model in 2014, and I paid MSRP out the door, and that included all state required paperwork and temp tags. His was a leftover when he took the plunge,so not sure if he was able to get a better price deal on the leftover 2015 in 2016.

As others have said, you should not have to pay a dealer's expenses as separate line items. It should be included in their cost to sell the bike. I mean, what are you going to do? Buy the bike unassembled, or even more ludicrous, with the crate still sitting in Japan?

I have a sale price written by a California dealer on a '15A demo bike with 80 miles on it. Fees look similar to the OP's. I walked away when he backpedaled on the trade-in value of my '05 (that he'd offered me a few months before).

Unit price: 12,590

Freight: 794

Handling: 492

Tire fee: 3.50

Vehicle Tax: 1,040.70

Sales Tax: 4.88

Doc fees: 65

License fees: 225

For an out the door total of 15,215.08. He dropped it 1500 to 13,715.08 b/c it was a demo bike (advertised as new). Already had scratches on the tops of the right side case all the way to plastic. No YES