Can't get AE into neutral

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansjfr

Reaction score
Just bought my 3rd FJR1300, this time a really nice '07 AE with 5500 miles on it. After purchasing it , I put it on my Baxley trailer (it has a clamp which squeezes the front tire when you ride the front wheel into the clamp), left it in first gear and hit the kill switch. I also adjusted the slack out of the throttle cable while it was on the trailer. Tried taking it off the trailer, but can't get it into neutral with either the foot shift or the handlebar switch, and consequently, the bike won't start. Would adjusting the throttle cable have anything to do with it not going into neutral? Any advise or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Adjusting the throttle cable should have had no effect on the starting. Are you applying the front brake when you attempt to shift?

An absolutely guaranteed way to get into neutral when all else fails is to pull the side cover on the left side, grab the shift rod and move it while rocking the bike back and forth. You should be able to shift in neutral with the sidestand down but the front brake needs to be applied if it is since that is one of the permissives in that particular case.

Push the lever with the rubber cap on it forward that's just forward of the left side panel with the FJR on it. That's put it in neutral.

Thanks for the replies; you're right. I wasn't applying the brake when trying to shift (after 3 hours of screwing with it, I decided to read the owner's manual). Geez, what an idiot I am. Thankfully the bike is operating as intended, just stupid operator error.

Thanks for the replies; you're right. I wasn't applying the brake when trying to shift (after 3 hours of screwing with it, I decided to read the owner's manual). Geez, what an idiot I am. Thankfully the bike is operating as intended, just stupid operator error.
Not stupid. Just a learning experience on the superior, high tech machine. Enjoy that bike.