Well, it finally happened....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
Finally did an involuntary test drop to try the effectiveness of the sliders and bag protectors. At work I park in a spot that has a roof. It es accessible by using a sidewalk that has a wheelchair ramp on it. When leaving work via this sidewalk, I noticed a couple of chunks of lava rock used in the landscaping, and thought of getting them out of the way. So instead of going down the ramp, putting the side stand down, and removing the rocks, I thought I would just drive up next to them and scoot them back into the landscaping. This would save me probably a whole 30 seconds!! Of course to kick the rocks out of the way with my left foo, the bike would have to be supported by my right foot. Except that the edge of the sidewalk was 8 inches higher than the parking lot. Guess what happened next? Why I didn't think of that when I made that decision is unclear. Maybe the fact that I have been working 12 hour days EVERY day since May 23'd for the plant turn around might have been a factor in it.

Anyway, broke my collarbone, so I will be off work for a few weeks, but disability insurance will cover most of that, and the insurance adjuster cut a check for around $2500 to the shop. (Sindt Motor Sales) Hard way to out of work!!

IMG_20160624_063224516_zpsumky9kc5.jpg
IMG_20160624_063235548%201_zps5nk0hrb3.jpg

Sorry to hear that Bogus. Collarbones are pretty easy to break and that looks like quite a drop. I doubt bag guards and sliders would help much with the bike completely on its side. Wishing you and red a quick recovery.

Dayum, shit just happens sometimes. Sorry about your injuries. Heal up well, sounds like your feej is going to beat you to it though! How many miles you have on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a dangerous world out there.

Add lava rock to the list.

Right after Subaru...

:)

Well, .......... shit.

Sorry to hear about all of it. Collarbones heal in unusual positions, but they heal. Thank goodness that's all the damage you sustained. Let us know how your splint/sling works out!

The bike is fixable, of course, but now she's always going to worry: "When will he drop me next? Doesn't he know there's no such game as moto-soccer?"

I'm very sorry for your injury and the damage to your bike. Hope you heal quickly and the bike is restored to new condition.

I do not, however, like your thread title, "Well, it finally happened...." Makes getting injured sound inevitable, and I prefer to think differently.

Curious, how did you get it back up?

All the best in healing, for you and your bike.

Thanks for all the well wishes! Just over 13,000 miles. It too 3 guys from work to put the rubber side down again. Probably will have to find someone to ride it homw before I am healed though.

So sorry to hear about this! I hate it when SHIT HAPPENS. I broke my collarbone many moons past so I know what you are going through.

Heal up my FJR friend.

Sorry to hear. Hope you can get some relaxation after the initial pain. Collar bones heal fast by the pool.... What protective equipment did you have installed on the bike, and how did it work? (I already know how your protective equipment worked).

If this had happened in the parking lot, pretty sure none of the tupperware would have been touched. But since it was on a sidewalk that was elevated about 8",it over rotated and touched down on the bag, fairing, and mirror.