3M Scotchgard protective film

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
For what is worth: based on someone at work that had this protective film installed on her car and the amazing results (you should see the state of the vw jetta paint... absolutely spotless!), I decided to buy it for my car and my wife's new car. While I was on the phone with them, I asked them whether they would sell these kits this for the yamaha fjr 13 and up models.

This is what the guy emailed me:

https://carprotectionpros.com/paint-protection-kits/bmw-motorcycle/2013-2016-yamaha-fjr-1300-3m-scotchgard-clear-bra-paint-protection-film-complete-kit-1

Luis

Have someone install it for you, it is an art to do it properly without stuffing the film up.

Had my pristine 07 I bought in 2010 done, a bit expensive but well worth it if you plane to keep the bike.

No more sandblasted paintwork.

I wish I'd installed this below my radiator when the bike was new. At just over 30K, my 2014 has an honorably sandblasted stripe, just behind the front tire.

I wish I'd installed this below my radiator when the bike was new. At just over 30K, my 2014 has an honorably sandblasted stripe, just behind the front tire.
Yes, at 3600 miles my 2016 is showing signs of wear there. Had to use tar remover yesterday. But I'm not losing any sleep over it because its in a location where one could paint it black or use a near-match imperfect color to no detriment.

Rather than a clear protector, consider a scrap of "wrap". Find a shop doing body wraps and ask if you can have a piece of scrap about 12" x 12". Maybe bring the panel insert with you and let them cover it.

Try the 3M Paint Defender spray on product. It's a very good product although applying it properly does take some practice. READ THE DRIECTIONS THOROUGHLY and then read them a few more times and you'll do fine.

I've used it all over my FJR in places where I think applying the sheets without wrinkles would be next to impossible.

Yes, it definitey peals right off if you want to remove it just like it says.

Grat stuff for curvy things like bikes.

I use a competitors product, but it all works very well. I have it on that panel behind the rear wheel and it's saved me a few times already. A couple weeks ago, I rode for 4-5 hours and when I went to wash it, there was an ugly strip of tar or something that looked like it slung up and went all over that panel. I was reasonable concerned on what I had run through because I never saw anything. Got the wash stuff out, washed it right off, no worse for wear. I've put it all along my feet area. Those little areas where your boots rub the paint off the silver pieces all around the footpegs.

We use a product from Orafol. They are a big competitor to 3M and have been making quality films for a long time. We use 3M and Orafol products (printing, laminating, installing) and both have good reputations and products.

FJR 13 and up models? But you have a 2001. I know this because I stood next to it. And you repeatedly refused to sit on my 2014. Did you get a new bike?

Have someone install it for you, it is an art to do it properly without stuffing the film up.
Had my pristine 07 I bought in 2010 done, a bit expensive but well worth it if you plane to keep the bike.

No more sandblasted paintwork.
I had a local shop install the tankslapper kit on my '14, well worth it to me to keep it looking new.

Sorry, but all I can think of is going over to my friend's house when I was a kid, and all of their furniture was covered by shiny, slippery, uncomfortable clear plastic covers. With clear plastic runners on the carpet wherever you walked. To me, it's a little like putting "Just For Men" on the gray hairs I've earned.

FJR 13 and up models? But you have a 2001. I know this because I stood next to it. And you repeatedly refused to sit on my 2014. Did you get a new bike?
I have big plans little john! Even though I still follow SkooterG's advise to the letter "do not test drive one or you will buy it" I am done kidding myself! I am totally on the market for one! Maybe at the end of this riding season! I so want one sooo badly! But of course, even before I buy one, I am already thinking of all the things that I am going to do to and all the changes that I will be doing... third brake light, fusebox and possibly re anodizing the USD fork outer tube in gold! (hard anodizing, I am not so fancy as to go for Kashima coating...) Oh god... I need to leave this forum... it is corrupting me!

Luis

I have big plans little john! Even though I still follow SkooterG's advise to the letter "do not test drive one or you will buy it" I am done kidding myself! I am totally on the market for one! Maybe at the end of this riding season! I so want one sooo badly! But of course, even before I buy one, I am already thinking of all the things that I am going to do to and all the changes that I will be doing... third brake light, fusebox and possibly re anodizing the USD fork outer tube in gold! (hard anodizing, I am not so fancy as to go for Kashima coating...) Oh god... I need to leave this forum... it is corrupting me!

Luis
Luis - you're right, this is a dangerous place. You started off trying to find pre-cut protective covering for your 2001, and all of a sudden you're in the market for a new FJR. Are thinking a 2016?

YES! Can't resist the temptation of USD forks, LED head and tail lights, IMU (for when they actually give it bigger use such as linking it to the brakes), blue...!

Luis

That's the spirit!!!
punk.gif