Summer Helmet Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
It's riding season for everyone. Everyone who can take the heat, I suppose. What is your primary and what are your backup helmets? How long do you run a helmet and what, if anything, do you wear underneath? Do you remove the liner and wash it periodically, or do you maintain it in the helmet?

Being someone with a shaved head, I wear 100% cotton bandannas under my nolan modulars, shoei, and bell helmets. Changing them as necessary in longer trips. I have nolan's B5 electronics in my nolans, but have found that, after Shure IEMs, foam plugs don't block as much road noise. I still use a bell custom 500 every once in a while for a run to the store. But it's just horrible for safety and too windy for distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been running a Scorpion EXO-1100 for 4 years. I usually buy a new one when something catches my eye regarding new features or comfort. I've owned 3 in 15 years so that's not frequent. I'm going to start to wear a bandana underneath as the front of the helmet rubs the top of my forehead. I remove and wash the pads at least once a month, sometimes more if I'm wearing it a lot in hot weather. I recently switched out the housing unit on my Sena SMH10 for one that requires earbuds. Its two fold for protection from the wind and so I can hear the music/my wife better.

I have a scorpion 920 modular that I got a few months ago. Its flows air just as well as any other helmet ive owned if not better. I had a multi tech before that I wore for years. I never washed the liner but would spray the inside with fabric cleaner and wipe it out. Im not bald but headed that way and have never wore anything underneath in the south ga heat. Ive never tried the bt headsets but use etymotic earbuds and have for many years, on my 2nd set and never had any complaints.

I wear my Neotec, and use Cyclegear liners/skull caps when it's hot. Rinse those out, helmet stays clean and relatively dry. When needed, the liner/pads come out to be rinsed and dried.

White Aria Profile.. had it several years.. I should probably check on the purchase date to see if I'm at 5 yrs. Fits my oval shaped head quite well (main reason for purchase originally), venting works good in hot temps. Just this past weekend I pulled the cheek pads and main liner and gently hand washed them. Also swapped in my dark visor (several weeks overdue) and cleaned up the pivot points etc. All good and it feels new again. I don't wear any skull-cap liners. This is my year-round, all weather lid and it's showing only some minor signs of wear but it's still good to go for a while longer.

Mr. BR

Shoei Neotech with Sena SMH-10 installed. Still follicle endowed though thinning, no skull caps or liners although considering. I use this lid year round and it's only 2 years old so I'm good for a few more years. I ride year round as much as possible. Pull liner out and gently hand wash beginning of year.

I run a Shoei Neotec year round with a Sena 10U system installed. Cleaning the liner just depends on if it has been hot and sweaty, or if it rains. I have a Shoei Qwest as my backup helmet. I try to get a replacement every 4-5 years.

My main lid is a Suomy Apex Uncle Sam, backup is a Scorpion T510. Never really washed the liners. just Febreezed them when needed. I try to replace mine every 5 years.

One helmet, a Neotec. I'd love to use a beanie or no helmet at all, but I'm never really sure when I'm going to crash.
weirdsmiley.gif

The helmet's pretty new, so I haven't gone through the liner removal process yet. Guess I should after the trip to Red Lodge and the long hot ride home yesterday. I do use a little cap from LD Comfort, soaked in cold water and partly wrung out, when it's real hot--like now. 105o again today. ugh.

Summer helmet ?!?!? Don't have one. Did get a Bell Star Carbon to replace the well-traveled Bell Vortex in my avatar. So I guess my summer helmet is a Bell Star Carbon in blue. (I wonder about you guys living up in Alfaretter.)

Summer as in it's summer, everyone is riding (even those who don't ride year round), whatcha wearing. But my wife's helmet was a bell vortex before I pushed her over to Nolan. I stay as far from Alpharetter as I can unless I'm going to or past the office. I'm up in god's country. I may add a bell star carbon to my bucket list, along with shoei and schuberth modulars. We all need to be open minded. My grandson (3) got perfectly good service out of an officially licensed Storm Trooper helmet while he was revving the BMW R75/6 in the garage this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I'd LOVE a Storm Trooper helmet for commuting!

(FYI: Helmet prices on the web are even more varied than tire prices. Got my Star Carbon for under $300. Light as a feather. "Race cut" means a lot of uncovered area at the back of my neck, which feels good these warm days, so yeah -- it's my summer helmet.)