Givi Trunk Relocation Plate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
Obligatory: I searched and searched... and I'm inadequate
wink.png

Someplace in the Forum past I believe I recall a plate which allows the Givi trunk to be moved back/forth slightly. My pillion finds the SR357/V47 trunk combination moves her way too far forward and would *really* like to get the trunk 1" - 2" backwards. She is serious enough about needing the seat space that she would be willing to give up trunk space and go back to the OEM trunk & OEM trunk mount. Let me tell ya, if she would give up trunk room to get more seat space it's serious
laugh.png
If we can't find an adjustable plate it will become a winter project. I'm pretty sure a few NERDS and a case of beer can figure something out. Even if it means inserting a gusset in the frame.

Thanks for assisting a helpless Forumite.

Edit: I was able to make this post with just one upload to the Forum unlike some of today's machine-gun type postings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made the very plate you are referring to. I moved the V46 I had on my gen 1 rearward about 1.5" and up .375" (plate thickness) but my pillion did not like it as it somehow allowed for poor posture and encouraged pillion slippage. So I took it out. I repurposed that piece of aluminum into turbo encabulators (google it!) so I no longer have them. But as you know I have some tools for shaping aluminum. Now lets talk about that beer...

Perhaps it would be easier to get a new pillion?
I can be out mowing the lawn and Pillion will come over to the mower and say, "The sun is shining, it's a beautiful day, why are you mowing the lawn when we could be out riding?"

After a hurricane blew thru New England and damaged many, many roads and bridges we went riding in northern Vermont. While riding on a very twisty road that followed a river I had our FJR leaned over in a long sweeping corner, the left foot peg was just hazing on the road surface as we tracked around the corner. My helmet to helmet intercom lights up and Pillion says, "Look at the river bank on the other side, that is some very interesting engineering they've done to shore up the bank."

Pillion walks by and says, "I've already called and made our reservations for EOM (months in advance) and made sure that we got a room so that we can park our FJR outside our door."

I'm thinking I'll keep Pillion and move the trunk.

I made the very plate you are referring to. I moved the V46 I had on my gen 1 rearward about 1.5" and up .375" (plate thickness) but my pillion did not like it as it somehow allowed for poor posture and encouraged pillion slippage. So I took it out. I repurposed that piece of aluminum into turbo encabulators (google it!) so I no longer have them. But as you know I have some tools for shaping aluminum. Now lets talk about that beer...
We need to talk...

Sadly, I don't need to google the turbo encabulator, your machining skills amaze me. In fact at the Ion Implantation company I worked for a fellow coworker (Rob Becker) and I retrofitted a variable fragmastat to the forward six hydrocoptic marzel vanes to regulate the sinusodial deplenerations. This entroposcoptically damped the barescent skor motion. What fun, what memories!

Post edit to Russ's Reply below -- Seriously, at the Ion company Rob Becker didn't let the encabulator go for the entire 20 years I worked with him. It ceased to be funny after the first year.

Are you out of your mind? Have you any idea what a divorce costs? Or how difficult it can be to train a new one?

Back on topic:

Alan, if memory serves you did not buy and install the optional Givi Backrest did you? I seem to recall our buddy Fred saying that the back protector in his wife's riding jacket was all she needed.

I have in my shop the SHAD metal plate that bolts to the three holes in the tail section and the plastic SHAD mount attaches to. If that would help in any way I would happily send it your way.

Are you out of your mind? Have you any idea what a divorce costs? Or how difficult it can be to train a new one?

Back on topic:

Alan, if memory serves you did not buy and install the optional Givi Backrest did you? I seem to recall our buddy Fred saying that the back protector in his wife's riding jacket was all she needed.

I have in my shop the SHAD metal plate that bolts to the three holes in the tail section and the plastic SHAD mount attaches to. If that would help in any way I would happily send it your way.
Your memory serves you very well, we do not have the backrest, pillion did not want the backrest. Have you met Fred's wife Joann? She is not more than 5' tall and 90 lbs, if Fred put the back rest on the Givi Joann would use it as a head rest
laugh.png

Thanks for the SHAD offer! Like Fred, Russ is a nearby neighbor so when we next get together we will discuss the relocation plate. If we decide not to go in that direction you may have mail.

The other great unknown is not having Russell seats on the bike yet so the situation isn't set in stone.

I've got the 357 and the V46, no back rest. My wife thinks this one is more comfy than the Gen 1 using the stock rack and an old Mono-lock 31L.

Oh and BTW - do NOT get rid of your pillion. From your post above, she's most assuredly a keeper....^^^^^^^

Edit - HOLD until you get your seats. At least for the Laam, that made a big difference for SWMBO. The stock seat was sending her toward me. The Laam was cut to hold her more in place. I believe the RDL will do an even better job.

I am certain the seats will change things but I cannot guess if it will be better or worse.

I have no one sitting on the back seat ever and my waterproof duffel bag does not care so this is no issue for me. I would think that fabricating an adapter plate would not be impossible. I know that both Gixxerjasen and Phatair4me have used the SR 357 and modified brackets to accomodate SHAD SH 50 top boxes. Surely a relocation bracket should be doable.

Pair of metal plates from Home Depot, a drill and a grinder, and I made a set of relocation plates for my Shad topcase to sit on my Givi rack exactly where I wanted it. It's fugly but no one can see it under the shad mounting plate and it does the job. If I can make one, anyone can.

I have one of these (Givi relocation plate, not Turbo Encabulator) that I bought from another member here. It moves the topbox back 1 - 2" (adjustable) and has two helmet locks on the underside (above the tail light). Works great - not quite as revolutionary as the TE, though. I can get some dimensions from it if you like.

@ionbeam - I believe that the person you are thinking of that had made the first Givi "set back" interface plate was Toecutter. That knowledge, while not as sexy as the design plans of the Turbo Encabulator, may help you find the dimensions that were published way back when. Though really, one could just measure the rack holes and whip something up from a piece of plate alloy pretty easily.

I often find it difficult to search (via any means) to find some of the really old posts that I recall having read (and sometimes even written) long ago. Not sure why that happens. I think it has something to do with Google's search algorithms.

edit - Ha! I found it. Thread #992 (Just showin' off my mad google skilz, yo!)

@Redfish Hunter - Your memory is off a little. I do have the pillion back pad on my V46 trunk. As you will recall It is the same V46 trunk that I had mounted on my Bass Bote Blue 1st Gen, but with the lovely matching candy red lid cover that you helped me find. Since the back pad mounts to the black part of the lid, the pad remains, and is no problem for my pillion.

Many other folks have issue with the pad on any Givi trunk, but my wife is not one of them. She is rather petite, at just 4'12" and 100 pounds with riding gear on. We are a "Mutt and Jeff" couple, with me at 6'2" and 225 lbs. She also seems to like to be bolt upright, or maybe a slight forward lean, while riding rather than being laid back to lean against the back rest.

This is an old picture, that riding rear has all been retired long ago, but it does show her body position with the Givi V46 with back pad on the old B3 The seating area is a little bit different on the 2nd and 3rd Gens, but she has not complained about it, and she actually no longer needs a rubber seat "gripper" to keep from sliding forward into me.

Picture164.jpg

^^^^ That's the winning post! Thanks again Fred. I had a pretty good idea what the plate should look like but it's always easier to copy something that is proven to work.

IMG_03431.jpg

IMG_03441.jpg

IMG_03451.jpg

FWIW - I wouldn't go 3" back unless you really need it. That much cantelever will put a lot more stress on the subframe and SR rack. Maybe mock up a variable position plate first and then make a nice one at the final distance.

I was going to mention my concern for stressing the subframe too. If you feel you need the full 3" - perhaps consider a Gerauld stiffy?

I have no plans to move the trunk 3". I believe that number was arrived at to avoid having to drill or mill the Givi SR357. To relocate only an inch or so may mean having to drill/mill/notch the two side pieces that the trunk bolts to. For illustration purposed I'm talking about the the side pieces like the broken one in this stolen picture:

i-8vcgRkd.jpg

From the description of FJRready's relocation plate it may provide the work-around to allow a smaller adjustment.