OW! My Butt! (Bonus Feature--NEW Laam Seat Review)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I just landed back in Sacramento yesterday after a great Red Lodge adventure on my still new-to-me 2014. I was so excited to have such a pretty red FJR. So many rides and gatherings I've been on were dominated by blue ones, Galaxy Blue, Cobalt Blue, Bass Boat Blue. But if there was one color dominating at Red Lodge, it was . . . Red! Maybe if they'd had it in the Blue Ridge Mountains . . .

But anyway, I think I set a personal best for daily mileage heading for home, at least the second day. It was freakishly hot, no matter which route I chose, so I just wanted to get home, Crossing Nevada at around 100 was ugly enough, but coming down from the Sierras into the Sacramento Valley (and this was close to 7 p.m. while looking at the setting sun), the needle was on 104!

But the butt thing. The seat is stock, and my butt still hurts, sitting here typing. On the way out to the meet, I rode with JREW, aka John, who agreed to switch bikes for a while so I could test his Seth Laam seat. I did NOT want to switch back. I thought I was sitting on a happy cloud. Remarkable difference. Now I need one. (edit: see post 39 on p.2. Couldn't wait. :) )

So thanks to another FJR gathering, I've got whole new ways to spend money. And I can't forget the Admore light bar RaYzerman 19 showed me (were there REALLY 18 other "RaYzermans" before him?), and have you seen those Canyon Cages like fljab has? And, and . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Zilla is very unhappy with his Laam he bought second hand and is talking about selling it. You might contact him.

Be warned though. If you tell us about your sore butt and we find out that Zilla did something to make your butt feel better... You know what we will do with that information.
smile.png

Mike- glad you made it back. I enjoy my '14. RFH- PM me the specs that seat was built for so I know whether to bug HRZ to sell his to me. I know he hasn't decided yet.

So thanks to another FJR gathering, I've got whole new ways to spend money. And I can't forget the Admore light bar RaYzerman 19 showed me (were there REALLY 18 other "RaYzermans" before him?), and have you seen those Canyon Cages like fljab has? And, and . . .
1k words:

steve-yzermans-quotes-7.jpg

3 more words to help ya' spend that money: Russell Day Long

Good to see you Mike. RDL is my choice. Customer service it top notch. Schedule a ride in appointment and enjoy! RDL is in your neck of the woods.

My brother John has similar feelings after finishing a 505 mile final day on his 2016. Liked the cruise control, but it doesn't help the butt.

Sooze and I did 550 miles one day on the stock seats.

Those were 550 miserable-ass miles.

The RDL I bought off someone on here back in '09 DRASTICALLY changed that, and we'll be doing significantly over 500 a day on our way to NAFO.

I was doing 600-700 miles on the stock seat, but I'm considerably younger than all y'all.

Whatever you do will be an improvement. I went inexpensively, got a Seat Concepts, and rode a 50CC with it. Will have it under my tush to NAFO, too.

I am bummed. I met a guy while gassing up on monday and we started chatting. He was on a super Tenere and said he misses his 04FJR but couldn't afford to keep two bikes and where we live there are more dirt than paved roads ( some of the paved ones might as well be dirt). Then he offers to GIVE!! me a RDL that he had on his FJR. So I contacted Russell and was told the seat pan changed after 05 and that it won't fit my 07!!! Damn... so close! Mine came with a sargent and while it isn't too bad, sometimes my bony ass gets sore. Most of my rides are 200-300 miles with my longest so far at 439. Maybe when I upgrade to a genIII or IV in a few years I will break the bank. Having a 30" inseam makes me a bit hesitant to get one since I hear that they are a little taller.

He looks like a nice young man, but why is he wearing that funny hat? But anyway,

I'd LOVE to get a new seat on before NAFO, and I've tried to raise both Laam and Russell on the phone. No luck yet, and I don't want to just leave a message and hope for a call back. Russell has the reputation, I know, and it may be--gasp--sacrilege to say this, but I'm not that sold on their superiority. NO seat I've ever sat on felt as good to me as that Laam did. (I admit it could have had something to do with the few hundred miles of OEM torture I'd just endured when I sat down.)

I had a Russell from Flying Junior's bike when he got hit and totaled the bike. Not made for me, of course, but he--Walt--wasn't built that much different from me, and that seat never really impressed me with its outstanding comfort. And they cost more, plus charge extra to do a ride-in, the only way I'd get a custom seat. If you don't ride in and test it, it's not custom, IMO. Anyhow, Wheatie's right. I AM a tight ass.
laugh.png
I might just end up going with whoever can deliver before NAFO, if it comes to that. If they'd just answer the damn phone.

Last I heard Russell had about a 200 seat back up for mail in jobs. When I was there in early May they were booking into July for ride in's. I was lucky and got in on a cancellation.

Yeah, none of the custom seat makers are going to meet your time table, Mike. It just doesn't work that way. You can't wait until the busiest possible season and then expect to get one made in a few weeks. :nono:

Your best chance for NAFO is to buy or borrow one from someone else, but then it isn't a custom seat made for you, and it will not be as good as one that is. I've had three seats made for me by Russell, all done via photos and mail order. Only the first one needed to be sent back for rework, mostly because I didn't know what to ask for specifically when I ordered.

Sure, a ride in would be the best way to go, but we don't have any custom seat makers worth ordering from out on the right coast. And a 3000 mile ride-in is not in the cards with a stock seat.

I know what you mean. This has been the most expensive rally I've ever been to. Anyone want an 05 that does have a custom seat?
smile.png

Rob De Best, one of my roommates, Oh lucky guy on the forum was wanting to trade a Rich's seat for a stock seat. Don't know what he wanted in cash difference.

I can see how one of these meets would cost a bunch of money in modifications.

Years ago when I did my SS1K, I parked my ST1300 next to an FJR that had a Russell Day Long seat. I had never seen one in person before and I took a moment to study it. I told Gixxerjasen that I wished the owner would come out, I would like to sit on it for a moment. Jasen told me, "Don't do it! It will cost you $700 if do!"

So I put my aching ass back on the Sargent and rode another 550 miles to finish my day. And I waited for the funds to accumulate.

Just to update--despite Fred's doom and gloom prediction, I'm getting a Laam seat made next week! He called me back and was very accommodating on the time. Seemed like a great guy, too. He's taking a couple days off after the 4th, but he said I could come up most any day after he gets back. Pre-NAFO! Had to clear the financing first, but I'll set up a specific date with him tomorrow. FWIW, I also got hold of Russell before he called, and they could fit me in sometime in October! I'm happy with my choice, and the dough I'll save, too.

BTW, I never did an SS1K, or any other 1K, and I never will, but Monday was 750 miles. That's enough for me.

Just a personal opinion here:

The Russell is the better pure Long Distance seat.

The Laam is the better everyday seat.

Either one is a great investment. I have seriously considered having one of each on hand for different rides. But I am afraid the lines would get blurry.

Please tell Seth that Redfish has not forgotten him and that we appreciate him down here in South Louisiana.