Pulled the Trigger on a 2016 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacinRay

Living The Dream
Reaction score
I've been lurking around the local Yamaha dealers since April thinking about replacing my 2006 FJR. Well, yesterday I made an offer and the dealer accepted! Picking up the new bike today after work. So my question to the collective is what items should be on my pick up check list besides the usual stuff - tool kit, manual, keys?

I assume I get bag liners, lock for top box, little plastic pieces for when the bags are off...am I missing anything? Those are the items I remember from 10 years ago.

I can't wait to ride it. I'm looking forward to the slipper clutch and cruise control and heated grips!

The only thing I see missing is the vacation time you'll wish you'd scheduled for Thursday and Friday and the 600 mile initial service you'll need on Tuesday when they reopen for business.

Congrats and enjoy the new ride!

If the owners manual is available at Yamaha's web site, download it and read it before you go pick up the bike. The controls and dash displays are nothing like your '06 and some items you would like to pre-set before riding off.

You should get:

Owners manual

tool kit

2 keys

spare lock

bag liners,

body covers (for bag holes when the bags are off)

Dealer walk through on how to operate the bike (if you read the owners manual you will know more than the dealer)

Dealers check sheet for items the dealer inspected & checked

initially, expect to honk the horn when you go to cancel the turn signals

where did the start button go?

Congratulations, you are going to love the heck out of this bike!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent idea about the owners manual. I'll definitely do that.

It's gonna be hard to find time to get the '06 ready for sale between work and riding the new bike.

I feel like a kid on Christmas!

Any owners manual from '13 and up will get you a long way in sorting out the Menu Selection lever and the SET +/- button.

See this is why I have to stick with my 04....."Menu"..."+/- buttons"....ugh....I have a helluva time figuring out how to change my clock for DST!!

Congrats on the new ride...yah I'm jealous....maybe someday! LOL

That's funny! I just noticed this weekend, the clock on my speed triple reads pm instead of am. I couldn't remember how to set it. Doh!

See this is why I have to stick with my 04....."Menu"..."+/- buttons"....ugh....I have a helluva time figuring out how to change my clock for DST!! ...
That's what I used to think. A couple of years ago we set out on a ~3k mile ramble around norther Ca and Or on a BMW K1600 which had the dreaded menus and set buttons on the left side & engine and suspension buttons on the right side. I expected it to be a struggle to learn while on the road without time to learn while riding casually. It turned out to be simple to learn and I could do the finger flicker without having to look pretty quickly. Almost like it was made to work like that
wink.png
As a bonus that learned skill transferred directly over to my new '15 ES. I did cheat a bit, while waiting for the sales person, the first time I saw the soon to be mine '15 I took the time to setup the suspension, heated grips and made one menu page for common items like trip odometer, odometer and temperature on the showroom floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I wish I could afford a new 2016.

I'm not a blue color guy, but I did test ride one of these and man, it is what it says it is.

...Hubba...

Post up if you get the cel to come on in the 1500 ish mile mark.

Mine did. Got resolved, but was still a pain for a new top of the line bike.

Somewhat bad Yamaha, Inc.!

+1 on locktiting the saddle bag screws.

If you are buying the "A" model, consider ordering an inner rear fender flap. It's park number: 5JW-21621-10-00

For some reason, the A model doesn't come with this although the fender is pre-drilled to accept it. The flap will keep road debris from getting on your swing arm and shock.

I know you will enjoy your new toy. Congrats!!

Hmmm. Not happy to hear about this CEL issue. I remember the 06 had an issue with the mpg function. Had to get a new instrument cluster. This however seems a bit more bothersome as you lose cruise control and preload functionality. Let's hope for a quick fix!

FJR Pilot, where are you at in Upstate, NY? I'm just above Albany (Town of Clifton Park). Maybe we could meet up and do some break-in miles together? Let me know, I pick my 16 ES up tomorrow. (and the 05 is out at the end of driveway with a for-sale sign) !