LAAM Ordering

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
I have my original pristine seat sitting in the box my Yamaha Comfort Seat came in. Slowly losing the will to resist ordering a Laam. My Comfort is pretty great, like 100 times better than stock. But I can't deny that it's a little on the hard side. For a full growed boy, I just don't have much padding around the posterior. For those that have ordered a custom Laam, what specs did they need from you to build the seat? Any tips on what to point out or ask for, or is this just plain engrish stuff?... I ride in all weather. Regularly. Is that a reason not to choose leather, or just a sign that regular leather treatment will be necessary? Who goes long and goes cowhide? Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see our yankee gangster Fred has a fondness for the caress of leather. I hate to spend the extra 100 plus, but I think it'll be worth it.

As xcsp says, best to speak directly to Seth. He will help you decide.

In contrast to my friend Fred, I prefer the vinyl. I ride in the rain a lot, I live in an area of Very High Humidity, and seat maintenance is not high on my list of important things. Seth advised me to go with vinyl because of my environment. That may not be the case for you.

Another bit of advice: Do not choose the Basket Weave vinyl because it is Very Slippery. My first Laam was the CarbonFX which is what the Sargent Seats use. My current Laam as well as Dad's has the "Smooth Vinyl" but it is not actually smooth. It looks like leather, is fairly grippy, and is easy to maintain.

You SOB. You provided the final push. Not that I needed much of one. I want leather, but would be just as happy with vinyl that approximates the look and feel of leather. I filled out the online form. The trick was getting my wife to give me her weight....

I hate to tell you but unless something has changed drastically that online form won't get much done. Seth is a Great Guy but like most artists, he is... Well, you are going to have to get him on the phone. Call him, he will talk to you for longer than you think he should. He will (usually) call you again right before he builds the seat. He is a phone person, he is not an e-mail person. I liked him and I got fantastic results and fantastic seats all 3 times I dealt with him.

Good Luck.

This was my ST1300 seat in CarbonFX:

This is my current FJR seat in "Smooth Vinyl":

I just got my Seth Laam seat on June 10 with a ride-in appointment. He does recommend vinyl over leather but will do leather for anyone who wants it. I have about 700 miles on the seat already and it is as close to perfect that a motorcycle seat can be. Well worth the logistics in my opinion.

Dan

Edited to add- got voicemail. Will call him again later on if his shop doesn't call first.

I left Seth a phone message this week and got a call back from him the next day. He comes across as very friendly and helpful. I made an appointment for a ride-in next Friday. Super appreciative that I can get this done before another long ride to Colorado later in July.

By the way, I had a Bill Mayer saddle made for my first FJR, and wore a Motoport kevlar mesh suit. Bad combination. The rough-as-a-screen-door fabric of the suit wore down the outer edges of the leather seat in no time. It didn't wear through the leather or anything, but it went right through the black color to whatever the cow looked like naked underneath--definitely looked worn. I expect the vinyl to be much more trouble-free.

Bill, I got the carbon material Laam that RFH showed in his first pic and love it. I steer clear of leather as it doesn't breath in the hot climate I live in plus the carbon can just be wiped down without the maintenance that leather requires. Good luck with your build.

They gave me a production date. Then noted that to build the seat takes three weeks. Ah, summertime. Will pull the original out of storage tomorrow for shipping.

I have a Lamm seat that doesn't work for me. But what does work is the cover. It is BAD ASS! It is that asphalt material or something like that, and it is VERY nice. I wish the OEM seat was covered like that. I'd take that over leather every day and twice on Tuesdays!

They gave me a production date. Then noted that to build the seat takes three weeks. Ah, summertime. Will pull the original out of storage tomorrow for shipping.
Having done a ride-in with him the actual build only takes 3 hours, not 3 weeks. I suspect he is factoring in his usual backlog numbers. Be patient and you should enjoy your '....end' result!!

I'm patiently waiting for mine to get done. Sent mine in 3 weeks ago, which I'm hopeful that I will get a call this week about my build. If not, then I will call directly. But I'm not too worried about it. Read enough reviews to know this would be the case, and it is also the busy season.

He will call you and ask some questions. Your answers will determine how he builds your seat. He built mine with a lower profile cos I'm a short arse. I have about 15000 miles on mine and I couldn't be happier with it.

Mine will arrive tomorrow at Seth's shop. He told me before the 4th. of July that he had the backlog cleared up but he was going on vacation over the holiday. He said ship it and he will get right on it. I will be expecting the call any day now.