2008 model - What's it worth & should I be worried about it's limited use?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2008 model with 6,000 miles.

The bike is a solid 9 out of 10 cosmetically and hasn't ever been on it's side.

The battery was replaced a year ago but hasn't been kept on a trickle charger.

Although it hasn't been ridden in over a year, the owner says that he starts it every month or so. (Not real good on a battery)

He also says that he's never used Sta-Bil in the fuel, even though the bike has set for extended periods of time.

The engine oil has supposedly been changed annually, regardless of miles ridden.

The rear drive fluid hasn't been changed since the 600 mile service.

The coolant was supposedly changed 3 years ago.

Tires are original, with good tread remaining, but they are going on 9 years old, so they need to be replaced.

Extras include an aftermarket windshield, fairing sliders and Yamaha top case.

What do you think would be a good price?

Other than new tires and possibly a battery, what else would need to be done to assure it's reliable?

I'm concerned about possible damage to the fuel system (due to ethanol), possible damage to the tank (from condensation) and 8 year old hypoid gear oil in the rear end.

Unless u have documented proof that the service has been done, assume it has not and plan to do it yourself if u buy the bike.

Does the fuel smell bad? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If u can test ride it, a few miles should tell a lot. If u cannot test ride it, then ask the owner to ride it. Ask him to wait for u to see it start stone cold. Bike should idle about 1500-1700 cold and as soon as u see the temp gage move, lower to about 1100. After he rides it and brings I it up to running temp, then u should be able to see how it is taking fuel by snapping the throttle. And checking for a check engine light.

All things good, a steal for that bike would be about $5500 and well bought about $6500. I would not pay more for it regardless.

Good luck.

I am in agreement with hppants. Yes, the tires need changing. I think the worst case scenario on the fuel system is that the tank will need to be drained and the bike run with fresh gas and fuel system cleaner for a few tanks. It is possible (although unlikely) that fuel injectors are gummed up a bit but these should be able to be restored at some cost. Get a flashlight and check the tank for rust!

I would change all fluids (oil, coolant, rear drive lube, brake and clutch hydraulic fluid). I would likely change the air filter - probably OK but at least look at it to make sure that nothing has nested in it! I would probably do a throttle body sync as well. Battery may be OK after a slow charge. Nothing wrong with the 2008 year but it NEEDS to be ridden.

Check that recalls are up-to-date; there are a couple for the '08.

I agree on the price range suggested above and it might be worth asking for a short warranty (in writing) relating to major mechanical. Stuff like the ABS, fork seal leakage, fuel injection, engine and transmission etc. This is mostly because of the sitting. Unlikely to be needed but...

Good luck with it!

Just my $.02 worth...I'd pass on it unless you truly get it for a "steal"...old bike with low miles = PROBLEM in my experience.

Great advice already, I would give the bike a good once over and snag it. Biggest worry for me would be a rusty gas tank, take a good long look at that.

For reference, a friend just picked up a '12 with 2500 miles for $8500 with a lot of extras thrown in. The deals are out there...be patient.

Good luck.

--G

So it's averaged 750 miles a year (assuming it was bought in '08...I got my '08 off the showroom floor in 09). It's probably had about 30 tanks of gas run through it. I'd consider it low mileage but not so low you need to worry too much. If you can get the price you want, I'd just do an oil and final drive oil change and ride it. If it was stored inside a garage I'm guessing no worries if mice didn't find their way in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless u have documented proof that the service has been done, assume it has not and plan to do it yourself if u buy the bike.
All things good, a steal for that bike would be about $5500 and well bought about $6500. I would not pay more for it regardless.
The bike is located 3 hours away from me, so I'm trying to get as much input from you guys as possible, before I take a road trip to look/ride it. I've owned & restored dozens of motorcycles, but have no experience with an FJR that's been sitting in dry-dock for extended periods of time.

If I purchase the bike, I will be doing all the service work myself (including installation of a new battery) and have the dealer install the tires.

Assuming that there are no other problems, that would drive the price up another $600.00-$700.00.

If there is rust in the gas tank, I'm going to walk away.

Even with another $600.00-$700.00, is $5,500.00 a "steal"? I was thinking closer to $5,00.00?

If you can get it for $5k, that would literally be stealing. That sounds like low book trade in value, depending on the book.

I think that the $5500 to $6500 range would be a great deal, and you should expect to do a fair amount of maintenance on any 2008 whatever you pay for it. As you point out, tires, fluids, fork oil, general maintenance check. Between tires and the other stuff, I'd expect to be up in the $750 range if you do the work yourself.

I doubt that a private seller would give you any sort of warranty. I would not. When it's yours, it's yours.

If he's anxious to sell, maybe your $5K idea will fly. We're past the peak season, so the number of buyers is going down, and this will work to your advantage.

Two years ago I found a 2005 FJR with ABS that had 6,500 miles on it. I got it for $5,600. Had the fluids changed out and put on new tires. Zero problems mechanically with it getting so little use in 9 years. IMO don't be afraid of an older low mileage FJR, as long as it was stored in out the weather.

If you do get it, make sure the dealer runs a VIN check to see if it has any open campaigns on it. Let us know if you bring it home with you.

$5000-$5500 would be a great deal IMHO. Consider a new one would be in the $15,000 price range. I believe that most 08 Fjr owners added a power commander to smooth out some fueling issues.

I just bought a 2008 about a month ago here in Austin with 18000 miles for $6000. It didn't need anything. The guy took really good care of it. Unless that bike is on the gulf coast, or the guy parked it outside, it's probably just fine. Just change the fluids and put some new tires on it. It takes a long time to rust out a gas tank, unless he parked it outside with no gas in it, and he lived in a swamp, I doubt if it is rusted out. If it is close to Austin, let me know and I can go take a look at it for you, so you don't waste a 3 hour trip.

$5000-$5500 would be a great deal IMHO. Consider a new one would be in the $15,000 price range. I believe that most 08 Fjr owners added a power commander to smooth out some fueling issues.
That was the 2006/2007 models. The throttle cam was reshaped for the 2008 model year to fix that issue.

I had an 08, loved the black metallic paint. Regardless of the price you pay, you should:

-Change all fluids, including final drive lube and coolant.

-Don't ride on those tires. The older the rubber, the harder it gets. Old tires can have mirco cracks plus they do not have the sticky traction due to the hardness of the rubber. Buy your tires online at a good price, then take the wheels off yourself and carry to a shop and have them install the new tires on the rims. Make sure, before you leave the shop, that they have installed the tires in the proper rotational direction on the rim. Reinstall the wheels yourself to know that it is done correctly.

-Bleed the brakes...get rid of that old brake fluid. Make it a one man job by installing speed bleeders. Makes bleeding a one man piece of cake.

-If the front end feels spongy, change out the fork oil.

-Check the bike for error codes

Good luck with your purchase.

08 was the best year.If you can get it for under $10,000. buy it!

smile.png
That ain't going to happen.

Last year I bought a 2013 with 3,000 miles for $9,000.00. I wasn't able to ride it much because of a rotator-cuff problem, so I sold it.

I've found a dealer who has (2) left over 2014 FJR1300 A models for $9,995.00 plus a $199.00 DOC fee. No add-ons for freight & prep. They simply want them GONE. The bikes are located in another state, so I wouldn't pay taxes until I got home.

Which Dealership, you may ask? I'm not saying.

Why am I not saying? Yesterday, I lost the 2008 model I was considering (and the purpose of this thread). I made arrangements to meet the Seller early this morning. (Remember, he's 3 hours away). Last night, a guy contacted the seller and bought it. He told the Buyer that he read about it on the FJR Forum (my thread), started searching various sites that sell motorcycles and found the only 2008 FJR located within 3 hours of my home base.Pretty good detective work if you ask me. I'm a little bent out of shape, but can't really blame the Seller for making the sale, even though I'd been communicating with him over a 4 day period and Saturday (yesterday) was going to be the best day for us to get together. Based on this experience, I'm not going to show my cards on those 2014's until I've either secured one for myself or purchased a used one.

Bummer dood, sorry ya missed it, butt let this be a lesson; be careful wut ya say 'n read on the interwebz.

1.) I'd say that wuz a great deal bordering on a steal. The folks who said other wise were prolly one of the ones who bought that bike!

2.) I wouldn't worry 'bout maintenance records, the FJR iz the most reliable bike out there. I dun bought both my bikes without any documentation 'n they've both been solid, trouble free rides.

3.) The good news is that w/ the gen IIIs ("Specially the 2016 6 spd.) there's lotsa bargains w/ gen Is 'n IIs out there. Ya might wanta look outside the state 'n do a fly 'n ride or have the thing shipped to you?

I too am have'in rotator cuff issues, (Gotta cortisone shot last Wednesday.) butt luckily mine duzn't bother me whilst ride'in, mine only gives me grief whilst split'in wood.

I've found a dealer who has (2) left over 2014 FJR1300 A models for $9,995.00 plus a $199.00 DOC fee. No add-ons for freight & prep. They simply want them GONE. The bikes are located in another state, so I wouldn't pay taxes until I got home.
I hope this works out for you - sweet deal.