Tire pressure gauges

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjewasmn

Reaction score
Not sure this is the right spot to ask this but here it goes. I'm looking for any input to as what everybody is using for checking the tire pressure on their tires?

I have a sliding gauge now, but I have heard that they aren't as accurate as say a digital one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I like the Milton sliding gauges. They are a few extra dollars, but well worth it.

Tire pressure gauges come in three types, stick, dial (bourdon tube) and digital. Being digital doesn't always imply high accuracy. The dial type gauges can be knocked out of calibration if dropped. Motorcycles have additional issues due to the small space between the stem on the wheel and the rotors and this is worth considering when looking at gauges.

I use a dial gauge that has a rubber protective shell, a long hose that clamps on the stem, has a pressure release button and a remote fill port. I compare it against a professional gauge periodically and after 20 years it is still within 1 psi of the reference gauge. It was initially purchased to adjust tire pressure at the drag strip but it also does garage duty.

This is a very good review but it is now 11 years old.

This is a more recent review but not comprehensive.

FWIW, non motorcycle specific gauge review:

Capture_zpsah5xy3py.jpg

I use a cheap "Slime" one that I bought at autozone. I have had it for 3 years. On the recent trip to Red Lodge, I used it a few times and had a chance to compare it. Someone had a tire pressure monitor with his Garmin. I checked his with my gauge and it was exactly the same.

I can only think that unless it is completely broken, it will read close enough for me. I check everything from moto tires to bicycle tires to my truck tires.

Unless you want to spend more and need something more accurate than .5 increments, save your money.

The biggest malfunction is when I don't use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information ionbeam. I'll take a closer look at the reviews you posted.

I know what you mean about the limited space to check the pressure, it can be a down right pain.

I use a cheap "Slime" one that I bought at autozone. I have had it for 3 years. On the recent trip to Red Lodge, I used it a few times and had a chance to compare it. Someone had a tire pressure monitor with his Garmin. I checked his with my gauge and it was exactly the same.
I can only think that unless it is completely broken, it will read close enough for me. I check everything from moto tires to bicycle tires to my truck tires.

Unless you want to spend more and need something more accurate than .5 increments, save your money.

The biggest malfunction is when I don't use it.
^^this^^. I've checked my stick type against several others' bourdon tube and digital whose owners swore they were dead-nuts accurate. One guy even said he had "a certificate of calibration traceable to NIST". Whatever. My $3 stick gauge indicated within 1 psi of his $100+ digital on several different tires. He was not a happy camper. Granted, I am no tire pressure purist who can feel tire pressure changes within .3497658132548 psi but I know when I check tires pressures and the stick indicates what I want it to I'm good to go. No need for me to spend $$$ but what the hay OP, if you gotta ask you prolly won't be satisfied with the ordinary
no.gif

Stick style for under the seat only. Dial with hose and pressure relief button for the garage. Used it daily until I got fobo. Very accurate, easy to manipulate and read, and very durable despite being a Slime product.

I recently compared my old stick gauge against my new Accu-Gage dial gauge ($25 for rubberized dial, 90 degree fitting and purge valve). I found about 6 psi difference in the range of interest. Totally blew my mind. Granted sticks have a general reputation of being inaccurate and my stick was a freebee that came with my Acura a few years ago, but I never imagined that it sucked that much. I took my Accu-Gage into work and ran it against a calibrated (NIST Traceable) gauge and found it to be within 0.5 PSI between 20 and 50 PSIG.

Subsequently, I've tossed the stick and made room under the seat for the Accu-Gage.

Rbentnail seems to have an exceptionally good stick gauge - don't assume that they're all that good. If you're going to stick with a stick (or digital), run a comparo with a good "master" gauge to make sure you know what the error band looks like. As long as it's repeatable, you can always "recalibrate" the scale on a stick with a Sharpie.

I have the Accutire MS-5510B - not in the reviews above. I like the size, the fact that it's illuminated, the pressure relief, and the way it clamps onto the stem. It's also accurate. The only drawbacks are the lack of a fill valve, and poor battery life. Reading reviews, seems like many get long life out of theirs. I don't use mine often, and still have to change the three button cells (357/LR44) every year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BNS7Y2

51075BGHETL.jpg

My short answer - Be careful digitalis work great, but you might not be able to read them.

Long Answer - I have several stick gauges and have recently purchased a Slime digital one. I have compared all to each other and all read the same. I brought the digital along on my recent trip to Red Lodge. When attempting to check tire pressure with the digital gauge in the bright sun I found it impossible to read. I ended up borrowing a a stick gauge.

Abandon the notion that any gauge is accurate.

What they need to be is consistent.

To this end stick gauges are more the fine.

As for accuracy, determine what pressure gives you

a ten percent rise in pressure between cold and a

thoroughly warmed tire and always use that pressure,

regardless of what the gauge actually says.

I use this one. https://www.amazon.com/CruzTOOLS-DGTG2-TirePro-Digital-Gauge/dp/B00AKG3GYQ Small, easy to carry in the glove box so it is always availalbe, Readings are shown to 0.1 PSI levels, with bar, Kpa, and Kg-cm2 scales also provided. can be a little difficult to read in bright sunlight but holds reading so you can place it in a shaded position. I don't know that the level of accurace is required for my riding which is all on streets and highways. I stick with 40/42 front/rear and that seems to work the best for me and provides good tread life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like 3D Instruments gauges, I use one for my standard.

One piece, direct drive, helical coil.

Takes a beating like a Timex.

Check a gauge against a standard periodically.

I've seen accurate gauges in all price ranges,

for awhile.

Had a very expensive accurate Michelin gauge that broke, cry.

I just bought an el chepo and had a fitter mate check it's calibration, reasonable accurate, I was lucky.

Several years ago, MCN did a review and the stick type from NAPA Ayto Parts stores came in 3rd place, I think. I'll see if I still have that info anywhere if anyone's interested.

Obsess much? Just wondering how many check their auto/pickup tires as compulsively as is described here. Geez....