Airbox Breather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazglenn3

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So I was wrapping up the starter change on my bike and realized that i forgot to reconnect the breather hose at the bottom of the airbox. I'm hoping this isn't a big deal. Input?

Yeah, it's a big deal.

The intake (dirty) part of the air box is the center of the air filter from the snorkle on the left side. If you leave any opening into the rest of the air box you are bypassing the filter with intake air.

Someone on here had a big leak into their air box that eventually allowed enough dirt and grit into the intake that they lost compression and had to replace the engine at an early mileage.

Don't be that guy. Get it connected back up and seal the air box correctly.

Darn. Not the answer I was hoping for. I tried and tried to get to it and there just isn't enough room. Guess I will plan to do some disassembly again. Thank you, Fred!

That was my thought, but I don't know if it's accessible.. I have a 2' forceps, and an 18" long-nose pliers, and they have saved the day many times..

That bottom breather hose does have an inline filter, and should not be left open to atmosphere. It's on the filtered side of the airbox, and the intake horns are right above it. You might end up having to loosen the airbox from the throttle bodies to make room to reattach that hose if you cant find some long needlenose pliers. That's a true royal pain, but not quite as much pain as the throttle bodies onto the cylinder head.....

If you ever have to go in there again, I bet you don't miss that hose any more!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it on with the needle nosed pliers! Thank goodness! Is that little inline filter something that needs to be serviced or replaced periodically?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it on with the needle nosed pliers! Thank goodness! Is that little inline filter something that needs to be serviced or replaced periodically?
i don't think so. The only place I've seen it mentioned is the parts fiche. The service manual makes no reference to it (that I've found.)