2005 FJR 1300 "glove box/storage compartment" lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ber

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure what the part is called, but it's the plastic lock/locking mechanism that keeps the "glove box/storage compartment" closed, and opens when the bike is in neutral and the ignition key is in the "on" position. I've tried several local motorcycle parts places and dealers and no one seems to be able to identify the part name or number so that I can try and order a new (or used) one. It's the plastic locking mechanism that I'm looking for (not the entire "glove box"). I think the electrical/solenoid is fine, as I still hear that make a noise when I turn the key to the "on" position.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Eric

Hi,

I'm not sure what the part is called, but it's the plastic lock/locking mechanism that keeps the "glove box/storage compartment" closed, and opens when the bike is in neutral and the ignition key is in the "on" position. I've tried several local motorcycle parts places and dealers and no one seems to be able to identify the part name or number so that I can try and order a new (or used) one. It's the plastic locking mechanism that I'm looking for (not the entire "glove box"). I think the electrical/solenoid is fine, as I still hear that make a noise when I turn the key to the "on" position.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Eric

Looking at the parts fiche, it appears that part is only provided with the whole unit. At least, it's not labeled separately.

You might try finding a used one from a part-out.

Unfortunately, that piece is not available separately. You would have to buy the entire glove box to get a new latch. You can try and get a used box from eBay, but they are rare as hens teeth and most likely expensive also. That is why you see so many home brewed glove box latches on older FJRs.

Now there's an opportunity for someone to invent a solution.

or do like a lot of people & use velcro or other means to make a secure closure. won't be lockable but ???????????

or see for sale, whole 05 being parted & the picture shows a glove box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

Looking at this diagram in the link below, I think it's #72, which they call "Bracket," but it looks like the lock mechanism on my bike:

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500451d0f8700209bc792137/cowling-1

I'm trying to attach pictures of my glovebox to this thread to see if that helps anyone, but the "Image" option doesn't seem to be working...I'm thinking that an idea I saw on here in another thread may be best/easiest/cheapest - buy some magnets and adhere them to the inside, since I don't store anything of value in there, and just want to be able to keep it closed and open it easily.

Thanks.

Looking at this diagram in the link below, I think it's #72, which they call "Bracket," but it looks like the lock mechanism on my bike:

https://www.yamahapar...92137/cowling-1

I'm trying to attach pictures of my glovebox to this thread to see if that helps anyone, but the "Image" option doesn't seem to be working...I'm thinking that an idea I saw on here in another thread may be best/easiest/cheapest - buy some magnets and adhere them to the inside, since I don't store anything of value in there, and just want to be able to keep it closed and open it easily.

I saw that piece but it appears to be bolted in place so it wouldn't move. I could be wrong.

I don't think that is the part that you need, but I may be wrong. I looked into this myself as mine was getting screwy. I ended up removing the solenoid and the plastic latches remained as part of the glove box, and it still functioned, but with no locking, which I liked better.

Still, for $5 it's worth a shot.

The glove box body has a sliding plastic piece which is moved by the solenoid and guided by a rectangular hole and sliding plastic piece pushes on the latch. The hole wears, the plastic piece wears, the solenoid forces the worn bits together and then the rectangle hole rips and no longer lets the sliding piece slide squarely and open the lid. I glued a magnetic kitchen cabinet door closure to the inside of the glove box and glued the metal plate to the inside of the lid. Worked great, never let water in and it went through some substantial rain and also saw some 60 psi hose action when washed.

I've seen several other solutions including a knob and rotating latch. It may be worth while to search through the Forum and see what comes up.

Like most of Yamaha stuff, the inside shape of the glove box is irregular so finding the location for the magnet and metal plate is a bit tricky. I think I still have my magnetically altered glove box someplace, it would show my work-around and also the worn parts. I found a replacement glove box for cheap so I replaced mine at some point. I recently replaced my glove box again and this time it came with an entire '15 ES attached
wink.png

Funny just how many ways there are to "gitterdone." My locking mechanism stopped working years ago. I remember looking at it and thinking that I honestly don't need a locking glove box anyway. But I did need for the dumb thing to at least open and close. I simply filed my latch a little until it would pop open with a little pressure. I haven't had any problems with it since I did the modification. I don't recommend that anybody else do this, as it's certainly not a repair. But it worked out fine for me: problem solved.

Ha: I loved this one from Ionbeam above:

"I recently replaced my glove box again and this time it came with an entire '15 ES attached
wink.png
"

---no place like this place.

Gary

darksider #444

I'd offer you mine but I replaced my latch with a magnet and washer long ago.