Lassen and Shasta. The Pacific Ring Of Fire - Part 1.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
The first portion of a journey north, almost 4 years (to the day) in the making. 4 years - for a lack of time, definitely not lack of intent or motivation. Re-tracing my steps on a solo motorcycling adventure, stringing together volcanoes - active, dormant, and extinct. Spending quality time with family and friends along the way.
smile.png

I have been to Lassen and Shasta countless times now, on each visit I stop at some new, or some of my usual stops, and skip the others, if I don't feel like it on that particular day. The pictures in this blog post, reflect where I stopped this time around - well at least some of them. I only post a limited number of pictures in each post, so some invariably don't make the cut.

You could read about it on the blog link below:

https://motorcyclewanderings.blogspot.com/2016/07/lassen-and-shasta-pacific-ring-of-fire.html

DSC_1630_1_2-1-2.jpg

Thank for reading!
smile.png

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice ride report and pics, as usual Sam. I rode through Lassen on the way to FOG 15 last year with Dr. Bob and 'Crazy' Dave Cooley. I was amazed at how much snow stays up there with summer approaching.

Well, if that doesn't stir something in your soul. Then nothing will.

Great ride report and beautiful photography. Makes me miss living in the Northwest!

Sam,

What gearing changes are you making on the ManStrom? On my Wee, dropping 3 teeth on the rear has transformed that bike into a magical machine...

So jealous at how easily accessible both amazing scenery, and escape from triple digit heat is for you. I have to ride through a full day of even worse heat and boring scenery to get to that kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing as always.

More of Puppy's excellent ride reports!

If you ever find yourself in this area, both Shasta and Lassen are worth the time. Plan to spend most of the day at Lassen, both for the scenery on the way up, but to also take the Bumpass Hell boardwalk on top of Lassen, it has a lot of similarity to Yellowstone with boiling mud pots, thermal pools and steam vents. The road up the mountain ain't too shabby either!

It looks like we shot the same cows that Puppy shot.

IMG_3025a-XL.jpg

IMG_2666b-XL.jpg

IMG_2401a-XL.jpg

IMG_2974a-XL.jpg

IMG_2966a-XL.jpg

IMG_2948b-XL.jpg

With excellent pix like this, no need to go...
punk.gif
There is are no pictures that can express the eye watering smells that go along with the volcano. There is no substitute for the sound and feel of the metal being ground off the pegs as you enjoy the very fine road up and down the mountain.

Thanks guys! Lassen is always a cool escape in more than one way from the Sacramento heat.

I took my parents there couple years ago, and the high altitude landscape reminded them of the foothills of the Himalayas. Yes 8000-9000 feet is still foothills for the Himalayas.

Mr Beam is also correct about Bumpass hell and the plethora of trails which take you past steaming mud boils with those lovely rotten egg odors. :)

It's a beautiful road, and on week days the park is wide open, rarely a soul is around, and the Rangers are not nazis about speed enforcement on those days, as long as you are not being a complete idiot on the straights.

As for the gearing change, thinking of two up on rear sprocket. Hope it will keep the bike in the better powerband a bit more in the curvy stuff. It's a struggle between power and mileage.

Thanks John! How long has it been buddy? How have you been? Hope to get to see you some time very soon! :)