Iphone not charging from glove box outlet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igoslo

Reaction score
I've mounted my i phone for use as a GPS and ran the power cord through the bottom of the glove box.
(thank you Yamaha for that nice hole in the bottom with a grommet)!

Odd thing is, while riding the phone actually drains power rather than charging. The screen says it is charging, so I'm wondering if maybe there is not enough current coming through the 12V port?

Has this happened to anyone else?

It has only happened to me when there was a flaw in the cord or the cord was not plugged in properly. This can also include a worn or damaged charge port that doesn't hold the cord securely. Never had a problem with the bike outlet. Is the problem repeatable with a totally different device/plug?

The screen says it is charging, so I'm wondering if maybe there is not enough current coming through the 12V port?
Unless the bike portion of the circuit is damaged...it will deliver as much current as you need...up to the 2 amps the fuse is rated for and then pop.

I'd look to your charging solution from the cigarette lighter on. Is it a stock cable from Apple that's USB on one end and plugged into some cigarette adapter/chager? If so, think about that adapter first and try the differential type testing Bill suggests. I've had various problems with chargers over the years....generally the "you get what you pay for" type situations with $3.00 chargers from eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've run into the same problem with my phone, only when running a lot of apps all at once and the screen brightness turned all the way up. I bought a usb adapter for my powerlet that puts out 2.0 amps to one device while charging. I don't have a problem anymore. The powerlet to USB is crazy expensive at $50, but I use it a lot so that helps. You can also try one of these larger phone batteries....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNQ10VS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I get about 4 days worth of use out of one charge and it fits in the ram x-mount still. The phone is considerably heavier, but to me its worth the trade off.

I forgot to mention that some charging cords allow less current than others, so you may try different brands out.

I sometimes have trouble with intermittent connection between my USB adapter and the cigarette lighter socket. Might be fine sitting in a parking lot but does not always maintain a good connection while riding. As Iggy says, if your adapter is working and up to the task, you will not be limited by the bike output until you cross the threshold defined by the fuse to the lighter socket.

It is well known an iPhone running a power hungry app such as Waze will exceed the power available from a conventional 5V 500mA USB adapter. The iPhone is smart enough to know the adapter has only 500 mA available and will limit its draw. There are many 2A adapters available for $5 to $10 on Amazon and eBay.

.. or charge with the screen on.

You almost certainly have a 500mA charger, and need a 2A one for this kind of use.

Thanks for all the posts. I went to my local CycleGear store and they had a sale (isn't there always a sale?) on 2 Amp USB connector with a pigtail that I an just plug into my existing one on the battery. Tomorrow I hope to get it all mounted.

Also clean the contacts at the end of the lightning cable where it plugs into your phone. Those contacts can wear and get dirty after a while. If that doesn't help your connection, you may have to get a new charge cable.

I agree with it needing a 2.1 amp plug. That is what I run in my powerlet and it works great. Battery stays charged when running google maps and streaming music. Sometimes I put the phone away and just get lost for a while.......

I disagree with lots of youse guys.

My iPhone (4S) sits in the glove box for hours at a time, running music, Google Maps, Spotwalla, and the occasional phone call. It's always at 99% or 100% charged when I take it out. Hot as the surface of the sun, but fully charged.

Gotta be something in your charging apparatus -- downstream of the glove box socket -- or perhaps something peculiar to the 2010 model year.

... -- or perhaps something peculiar to the 2010 model year.
2010 outlet same as every other year, from 2006 to 2016.

Most likely either the plug not staying in the socket firmly (there's nothing to hold it in place), or it's a 1 amp converter or defective converter.

This could help. I got one of those little auxiliary chargers--shaped like a package of Pez. Charged it up and plugged it into my iPhone but it didn't charge the phone. Borrowed somebody else's, same deal. When I mentioned it, my son took my phone and used a paper clip to dig a wad of lint the size of the end of a Q-Tip out of the charging port on the bottom of the phone. His phone had done the same thing and the lint messed up the contact. If you keep your phone in your pocket, bet you have a wad of lint in there too.

My iPhone (4S) sits in the glove box for hours at a time, running music, Google Maps, Spotwalla, and the occasional phone call. It's always at 99% or 100% charged when I take it out. Hot as the surface of the sun, but fully charged.
4S has power requirements of a smart car compared to the later models..

You dissing my phone?
coolsmiley02.gif
It's survived two near-drownings and a trip across the country.

I disagree with lots of youse guys.

Gotta be something in your charging apparatus -- downstream of the glove box socket -- or perhaps something peculiar to the 2010 model year.
First let me say that I'm not dissing your phone :) but.....you're running google maps and the phone is in the glove compartment? How's that working out for you? Second...there is no SpotWalla app. Yes there are apps that upload your GPS data to SpotWalla but that's not quite the same. Depending on the app that you're using to upload your data to SpotWalla, it may only be accessing your GPS data once every 5 minutes, which means it is just nibbling on your power. My app will suck your battery dry if you don't have a 2.1 amp power connection.

The correct answer to this question is to get yourself a 2.1 amp power connection for you phone :)

Saw that others mentioned the 2(.1) amp chargers.

One note is to be sure and get a known-good one. Do some research and avoid those that are the cheapest of the Chinese knock offs. They've been reported to meltdown and/or catch fire.

HP had a really great one for their defunked tablet (that are still for sale) but that was for A/C.

Here are a couple of good articles on the why's and where's of charging.

https://www.howtogeek.com/214300/stop-wasting-money-on-device-specific-car-chargers-and-start-using-a-universal-usb-charger/

https://www.howtogeek.com/218259/how-to-charge-your-phone-or-tablet-faster/

I got a bunch of these for this coming Christmas as stocking stuffers. Low profile, 2 outlets, 2.4 amps each, and affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1UWA4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1