"Heaven To Hell" Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering riding the Iron Butt's "Heaven To Hell" ride shortly after NAFO after I drop my wife off at the airport in Denver Monday night.

My plan is to then ride to Idaho Springs and (After a short motel rest) leave out from Mt. Evans to Death Valley, CA. I am going to plan the "Gold" route

through Independence pass and Ely, NV to Bad Water.

Anyone Interested in joining me?

^^^^^^ Yup, I believe Mount Evans is the highest paved road in the lower 48. Went up there in mid-September almost 2 years ago, but the top section was closed (ice?). I think it's only open to the top a couple months a year due to weather. Many people here know way better than I do (nothing new).

Mt. Evans. You can actually walk a little higher. Be careful of the HUGE ice heaves in the road.

IMG_2003.jpg

101stpathfinder posted: ..... Anyone interested in joining me?
Sounds like fun, but I'm already donating a week of vacation to NAFO. Already donated a week to April's 50CC, and can't afford any more for moto-rides.

I have planned a BunBurner on the way out (Atlanta, GA - Atlanta, KS - Atlanta, NE - Denver), and an SS1K for the trip back ..... if I have any energy remaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Figgered I would give this a shot. I need to see how the big dogs do these LD rides
bike.gif
You rode Coast to Coast in less than 50 hours, doesn't that make you at least one of the bigger dogs??!!!

If Petey wasn't already my hero, you would be at the top of the non-existent list for sure.

You rode Coast to Coast in less than 50 hours, doesn't that make you at least one of the bigger dogs??!!!

If Petey wasn't already my hero, you would be at the top of the non-existent list for sure.
Naw, I'm just a pup at this LD stuff. But you're right, Petey is my hero
punk.gif

griff posted: Figgered I would give this a shot. I need to see how the big dogs do these LD rides.
First RFlagg42, now 101stpathfinder .... good choices for LD riding. You've done a Rueben Run and a 50CC, right? Where's your bid for the next Iron Butt Rally?

I am pretty sure the GOLD version of this ride starts at the top of Pikes Peak, and not Mt. Evans.

There is also some special documentation requirements, although I think it is as simple as a SPOT OK on top of Independence Pass and a receipt from Ely. People have done ride reports on this so I recommend a Google search.

I am pretty sure the GOLD version of this ride starts at the top of Pikes Peak, and not Mt. Evans.
There is also some special documentation requirements, although I think it is as simple as a SPOT OK on top of Independence Pass and a receipt from Ely. People have done ride reports on this so I recommend a Google search.
Either Mt. Evans OR Pikes Peak can be used for the Gold. Mt. Evans actually has a sign that it is the highest point (With a road)

Pikes Peak has the advantage of a receipt at the top, but Mt Evans is not as controlled (Gated - time wise)

A "Ping" is needed at the pass, and a receipt from Ely is also required. A "Ping" at the Basin is your finish. As with most rides though,
additional documentation is a plus. We will be making a few extra stops.
Are you joining us Eric?

^^^^ You might be onto something there Don, it's gotta be some kind of sickness ....

So, yeah, me a lowly newbie to all this LD stuff and I'm going to bust right out fresh on a ride with some hardened veterans. Death Valley no less. Yeah, gotta be some sickness in there somewhere. Really looking forward though to meeting you all and riding along on this one.