2015 FJR1300A -- Inverted Forks?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Flyer

Reaction score
Installing MotoLights on our bikes and just noticed that the A has standard forks and the ES inverted forks. Makes quite a difference on the installation. No, I don't think the shop swapped out old forks. Just surprised to see the difference on the same model year. Any ideas why this is?

Yes, I looked at the matrix and it does not differentiate the two models.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's one of the premium features you get on a premium bike like the ES
smile.png

Recent fork mounted light thread.

It's one of the premium features you get on a premium bike like the ES
smile.png
+1

Plus the inverted forks complete the very sinister and stealthy blackout package.

This is honestly one of the things that got a LOT of discussion when the ES was introduced in 2014. I assume it would still be at least mentioned in the brochures and on the website.

Yes, I looked at the matrix and it does not differentiate the two models.
Detailing every single nut and bolt thread pitch for every conceivable farkle is a bit beyond what can be done with the matrix, but there is a mention on Page 9 when they first came out in 2014. In lieu of "inverted forks" their language is:

features an all‐new electronically adjustable suspension to take it easy to adjust the suspensions to fit different riding conditions and bring greater convenience to touring.

So was the inverted fork required for the ESA? I'm surprised that the reduction of unsprung weight did not drive them to go inverted for all models.

Since Theresa rarely changed the settings on the K1200GT, we thought that not having the ESA would not be an issue, but did not realize that the A had standard forks. Also, we were not able to find an ES here.

Not a big deal, just more of a surprise.

So was the inverted fork required for the ESA? I'm surprised that the reduction of unsprung weight did not drive them to go inverted for all models.
The ESA works with both front and back so it's a system and not exclusively on inverted forks. And I can't see you lifting out a whole ESA system and making them work with just the front conventional forks. And going to inverted without ESA exlusvely for unsprung weight is an assumption that the FJR market focuses on that singular issue. Really a pointless exercsie IMO.....

Regardless, historical context suggests more to do with supply chain and market forces and talked about many, Many, MANY times--particularly in the 2014 New FJR thread. I suggest you go back and read it if you want a deeper understanding of the evolution of FJR models. Short version is 2013 was a major model redo with conventional suspension and rumors of ESA, 2014 had an optional ESA model with a relatively limited production run, and 2015 more ESA were available.

Also, we were not able to find an ES here.
I think this tends to reinforce the point about scarcity, demand, and/or marketing.

Are inverted forks better protected against oil seal leaks?

It appears that the fender protects the exposed moving portion of the tubes from bug strikes and grime accumulation.

The cover on standard forks doesn't appear to be as protective against bugs, etc.

There are solutions to those problems that would not require USD Forks.

They're better because they are stronger, stiffer, and have less sprung mass. Hiding the stanchion behind the fender is a bonus..

This is akin to being shocked that you bought a new Ford Mustang and discovered a V6 under the hood. Just because the GT has a V8 does not mean that the cheaper models should have one as well. Or that the lower level Mustangs do not have the wider wheels and tires, the premium brakes and the fancy seats.

I cannot imagine being surprised by such a significant component on anything I buy. But I usually do a LOT of research.

Are the FJR ES's USD forks superior to the standard forks? Don't know and don't care. My 2006 FJR's forks felt great, they had no problems, and I loved the bike. I think the new ones on my '14 ES look cool, and they feel good, too. So smoke um if you got um!

Next up, radial calipers, please. Nothing wrong with the current ones, but I'd love to see the change.

While I bought a new ES model I don't think the inverted forks make much of a difference. I doubt very many FJR s are being ridden hard enough to flex the forks and the original reason for inverted was to have a much larger and stiffer clamping surface in the triple trees. On my road racing bikes I could feel the difference but I would never ride an FJR fast enough on the street to get flex. I doubt very many are doing track days either.

It IS on the website, always has been since 2014 right in the specs. "43mm inverted forks with electronically adjustable rebound and compression damping; 5.3-in travel"

While I bought a new ES model I don't think the inverted forks make much of a difference. I doubt very many FJR s are being ridden hard enough to flex the forks and the original reason for inverted was to have a much larger and stiffer clamping surface in the triple trees. On my road racing bikes I could feel the difference but I would never ride an FJR fast enough on the street to get flex. I doubt very many are doing track days either.
I'm going to disagree. I have had a C14 (08 and 2010) sitting next to my FJR (05, 08, and 2013) since 2007 and the C14 was always more stable at high cruising speeds, sweeping corners, and crosswinds. I now think it's a tie in stability between the C14 and my 2014ES. I bought the ES for the inverted forks and they are great, I was pleasantly surprised how good the suspension actually is.

I'll also disagree. It's not so much that the stiffness of the USD forks is so noticeable, it's more that the flex of the RSU (right-side up) forks is so obvious. And I don't think the main or primary advantage of the USD forks is their larger clamping diameter, though that is certainly the case. The larger diameter, thicker material upper (outer) fork legs will flex less along their length as they are loaded and unloaded. The thinner inner fork legs are much longer in the RSU configuration, which means that the axle location and orientation is far more vague.

I know that the USD forks on my 2014 feel better to me just riding normally on the street (not racing) than the front forks did on my 2005 and that was after the stock '05 forks were modified with different single weight springs, GP suspension compression and rebound valving, and fitted with a fork brace. So yeah... compared to the stock "A" model forks, there is no comparison. The ES forks are superior, IMO.

Those who have (and those who have not) opted to pay the paltry extra $1000 for the ES suspension will try to justify their decisions till the cows come home. It is highly unlikely that one group will convince the other one of the error of their ways.
wink.png
The best thing to do is to ride the two bikes yourself, ideally back to back, and then pick the one you believe is better for you.

PS - I do find it amazing that someone would have bought a new FJR and not known about the forks. I guess they must have a lot more money to throw around on stuff like this than I do.

I got off my Gen I with modified front suspension and almost immediately got on an ES for a ride. Right away it was apparent that the ES was as good as or better than the RSU Gen I with lots of $$$ installed in the forks, even in just plain, general riding. The USD forks also offer more length in the stanchions for longer bushings and with the shorter sliders you get less flex keeping the front wheel better located. Plus there is a tiny bit less unsprung weight. I doubt that I would ever ride hard enough on the street for the USD forks to make much of a difference in speed, but everyplace on the street the USD forks feel better. I was after the ES, it came with the USD forks. On January 1, 2016 I don't know if I would have paid a penny for the USD forks. By February 29, 2016 I was very happy that the ES came with USD forks :)

Well designed and appropriately sprung and valved forks will be better than most stock setups. I'm no expert but have Traxxion here in my back yard and was enlightened - first to the benefits of proper tuning of what you have, then the amazing difference changes to the components makes.

So my '01 FZ1 (RSU forks) was upgraded with springs and valves and oil and settings for me and my riding style, and it literally felt like I was riding on rails compared to previous.

I bought an '07 FZ1 (USD forks) and it was nowhere near as good as my modified '01 (which I still have) but I knew that would be the case, and had already planned to put AK20s in the forks (and a Penske shock). The AK's transformed the bike, as many here would know.

So USD isn't automatically better, but with appropriate components, the USD does have a few advantages.

Looking for an FJR, I knew again I would need suspension upgrades. I happened to find one with AKs and a Penske, set up for a rider of similar weight. THAT is why I was quite willing to pay a premium for the bike (compared to typical prices on this year bike).