Windsong of the West

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRfarrier

Reaction score
Windsong of the West
Motorcycle Vacation 2016

People ask me where I'm going this summer. Well, I'm going west. All the way. To the Pacific Coast. But it's not like that is my destination. I mean, yes, it is a destination; a reason in which I am traveling that way. But it's not the only reason. So I quickly rattle off- shopping in Duluth, then a friend in Bismarck, then see Mt Rushmore area, then across Glacier NP, then over to Washington, then down the Oregon coast, then ride through the Redwoods, then venture onto the Salt Flats, then a group gathering in Colorado, and then coming home. That widens their eyes a bit.
At that point, most people ask me who I am going with. Well, no one. Just me. That shocks them a bit more. "You mean to tell me you are going all that way ALONE?!" Yes. And if I really wanna send them over the edge- then I tell them that I might be meeting random guys from the internet along the way! lol.

IMG_7429_zpsterithxt.jpg

So for the people who do not have the same mentality as me- this may seem like a crazy thing to do. A lone, young, female off riding her motorcycle across America. But to me, it's going to be another "epic" adventure in which I hope to see this great country, and maybe learn a little bit more about myself. Not that I want to get all mushy or whatnot.

Here is a quick doodle of my planned route. I am looking at 13 (possibly 14) days. And about 7,000 miles. The extra day will only be added on at the end; depending on what or who I want to see on the way home. And depending on just how lenient the big bossman wants to be, too.
ITAE6206_zpsu4mg107r.jpg

It's looking like I will have about 5,000 miles before I pull into NAFO in Montrose on Friday evening. So that should provide some stories to tell- hopefully good ones.

I will try to put up a ride report/summary every evening. (All within this thread) It will keep me organized, and will give me something to do (and someone to talk to) every evening. lol. It's also easier to recall memories and stories to family for when I get home, since I have written them down the evening after they occurred.

And here's a Spotwalla link for those who wish to follow along while they sit at their desks at work.....
*** https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=11538576dac5b7dfab ***

Now yes, I know these routes are based along the interstate system in America. So yes, I might be missing some great parts of these states that I am travelling through. But to me, I like riding the interstate. I can see enough of the state and area, and I can cover the ground quickly. And, dang it, I like having a passing lane. Now, if I had unlimited vacation time and money, then yes- I might get off the interstate and see the beautiful backroads that the states have to offer. And yes, I might be omitting some great tourist attractions, "must see" things, or "unbelievable" roads. But again, I had to sacrifice some in order to get the rest of this into one trip. In the future, I will hopefully be able to return to some places and see more of the area in depth. For now, I will cover the miles, enjoy the interstates, and see what I can see with the time allotted.

I am naming this the Windsong ride. I grew up listening to John Denver; my mother was a fan, and she has all of his albums. Which makes me a secondary fan, and many of his songs are on my mp3 player to listen to while riding. When trying to decide what to name this trip... I was shuffling through his albums. And as much as I like "Grandma's Feather Bed"... that just doesn't have a good ring to it when it comes to a motorcycle ride. lol. But when I heard "Windsong", I knew this was the one.
"...In your heart and your spirit, let the breezes surround you. Lift up your voice and sing with the wind..."

On this trip, I will also be sporting a new set of tires- the Metzeler Roadtec 01; Metzeler's new sport touring tire. Earlier this spring I applied, and was selected, to "test" a set of these tires. This adventure should be a good test session for them. This promotion is in partnership with Metzeler and RoadRunner Magazine. "The Roadtec 01 is the latest evolution on Metzeler touring tires. With a focus on enhancing grip on wet and low friction surfaces, increased mileage, and a high degree of adaptability to different motorcycles, riding styles, and conditions, the Roadtec 01 provides modern solutions to past and future needs."
tire20side20by20side_zpsh0sgracz.jpg

I would like to publicly thank a great friend who helped me to prepare my bike for this ride. When my normal mechanic (my father) decides to take a 3 week vacation starting 2 weeks before I launch- that leaves me scrambling for someone to help change tires and oil on the FJR. Thanks to extrememarine, Wayne, and the super awesome wife, Annette. I owe you big time.

Quick summary:
1 2012 FJR 1300.
1 female motorcyclist.
13 days.
About 7,000 miles.
19 states to travel through - 10 of which are new to my collection.

I will be launching from NW Ohio the evening of Tuesday, July 19, 2016. Just a short jaunt north to the next morning's launch point.
I'll have about 800 miles to get to Duluth, MN. Traveling via Michigan and the UP, instead of Chicago. Couple reasons for that, 1- skips Chicago. (I think that's a good enough reason, lol), 2- adds another state to the trip count (Michigan).

Have fun, you really should ride over our Hwy 20 as long as your hitting Washington!
Pan, I was going to say the same thing but she might not have enough time. It's like Glacier Nat Pk without the traffic or at least it was yesterday.
punk.gif
Yes, Washington will be a state that I would go back and see more of at a later time. This trip just doesn't allow for it. I'll be going from Spokane WA to Eugene OR. It will be a drive day, and laundry at the hotel in the evening. After several longer days earlier, I will appreciate some shorter days and chill riding.

And if I really wanna send them over the edge- then I tell them that I might be meeting random guys from the internet along the way! lol.

^ THIS!

Good luck with your trip, and I look forward to hearing about it at NAFO. Ride safe!

You go girl!! I hang out with random guys I met (meet) on the internet all the time, no big deal.

I'm a big fan of "Roadrunner" - will you be submitting this adventure to them?... they might print your road report & pics in a future issue...

See you in CO - stay safe kiddo.

What an exciting introduction! I can't wait to see what happens next.

Subscribed, without a doubt!!

Last edited by a moderator:
And if I really wanna send them over the edge- then I tell them that I might be meeting random guys from the internet along the way! lol.

^ THIS!

Good luck with your trip, and I look forward to hearing about it at NAFO. Ride safe!
This x 2 lol !! See you at nafo, be safe, and yes I'm jealous as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I am already learning- be flexible in your plans.

I have had the general idea of this trip planned since last fall. As time gets closer, things start falling into place. But that also includes some minor details changing. And I just smile, say okay, and work with it.

So as I make the plan to travel this entire ride solo- I put a bug into a friend's ear, and now it looks like he will be joining me.
(He who shall not be named, yet, but who y'all shall meet later...) He has shown an interest in joining for a few days of the ride; at least to Duluth, and possibly to Rushmore area, heck maybe even to Glacier! lol. And as much as he wants to see the Redwoods, he is still deciding how to be able to get home to Michigan by the 30th. It shall be nice to share some of the experience with someone. And we have very similar riding styles and touring mentality... so we should get along well.

And as my original plan gets changed, it has a slight butterfly effect on other aspects of the ride. Since I will be traveling north through Michigan to get to Duluth, I figured he and I could meet along my route somewhere. Then an idea- why don't I just travel the 120 miles north to his home (which happens to be along my route) on Tuesday evening. Then we launch from his place Wednesday morning, and beat Toledo and Detroit morning traffic. Sounds good! It's all about being flexible in your plans!

Subscribed for sure! Have a blast and safe travels.

Spanky and I did 7500 miles in 14 days of riding going to NAFO3 in Castlegar, BC. I did not blog along the way as we were wiped at the end of every day. That kind of trip results in, "it would have been nice to stop there" being said many times, but time and distance wouldn't allow. We have already gone back. Twice; covering a lot of the places we went by on that trip.

See you in Montrose!

Very awesome and totally jealous!

Somewhat unfortunately I've had to change jobs within the last 3 years and so I no longer have the amount of vacation time I once did. I guess I'll just have to travel vicariously through folks like you!

Safe journey!

One suggestion if I may.
https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/airboss11/ITAE6206_zpsouiiga3x.jpg

Ok? click the link, photobucket is goofy again.
Lol. thanks. Time is a huge factor for why I am traveling the interstate. Now that I think about it... I guess this ride might actually be a combination of interstate and not interstate. So the west might not be completely interstate. We all will just have to keep an eye on the Spot tracker, to see just how much interstate is actually ridden.
search.gif
But there will come a moment, if I am off the interstate for too long.... that I will be eager to get back on it.
rolleyes.gif

More power to you, FJRfarrier! I'm jealous of your plan, and the adventures you'll have.

FJRfarrier posted: <snip, snip> Now yes, I know these routes are based along the interstate system in America. So yes, I might be missing some great parts of these states that I am travelling through. But to me, I like riding the interstate. I can see enough of the state and area, and I can cover the ground quickly. And, dang it, I like having a passing lane. ... For now, I will cover the miles, enjoy the interstates, and see what I can see with the time allotted.
... and I agree with you 100% on this last point. A lot of my travel is the same as you're doing: I have a few destinations, and it's more important to get to them quickly than it is to see every single intermediate location. Besides, the Interstate shows you mountains, plains, desert, rivers, cities, and a bunch of really cool bridges.

I'll look for you in Montrose.