Coolant change (2013 or newer)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer

Reaction score
I planned to do a coolant change, but had problems removing the panel over the radiator cap. I removed all of the fasteners and pried the panel loose all but at the end at the large front panel. Being afraid of breaking the end off of the panel I gave up. Do you think the large front panel must be removed to get the panel out. Hopefully one of youse guys has done a coolant flush on your newer FJR..

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't done a coolant flush, but I've had the panels off. I think it is easiest to get the big center panel off first, then pull the sides off.

edit to say: this is on my 20914. My understanding was that the early 3rd gens had some additional tabs on them that may make it different

I haven't done a coolant flush, but I've had the panels off. I think it is easiest to get the big center panel off first, then pull the sides off.
edit to say: this is on my 20914. My understanding was that the early 3rd gens had some additional tabs on them that may make it different
And i thought 2016 was the newest, Fred has a 20914 you'd think 900 yr's from now they would look a little different
no.gif

How long have you had the Dalorean ?

back-to-the-future-delorean-transport-dezeen_936.jpg

...edit to say: this is on my 20914...
Good grief, do they still have radiators and wheels on that model year?

edit to say: Mudder was making a similar observation while I was typing.

Poor Fred, one little typo and he gets dogpiled. Where is the love, brothers?

And I agree: Center dash panel first, then side panels.

Thanks Fred and I am still a fan of yours even though you made a small typing error. I was hoping to get this done without removing the center panel.
no.gif

Why are you guys always looking for trouble where it doesn't exist?? My 2003 has the factory coolant in it. Still runs and my balls HAVE'NT FALLEN OFF. 200000KMS AND COUNTING.

Why are you guys always looking for trouble where it doesn't exist?? My 2003 has the factory coolant in it. Still runs and my balls HAVE'NT FALLEN OFF. 200000KMS AND COUNTING.

No need to change the oil either. Lots of people don't bother with oil changes on their cars and they have no problems, so it must be OK.

FWIW - most of those no-oil change people are from the 1/2 with no balls to fall off. ;)

Not sure if it's that much different, but for my Gen II, I just loosened up what I could and was able to pull the panel back enough to get the cap off - doesn't have to come all the way past it, just enough to get your fingers on it. Then there's enough room to get a funnel in to fill it again.

Not sure if it's that much different, but for my Gen II, I just loosened up what I could and was able to pull the panel back enough to get the cap off - doesn't have to come all the way past it, just enough to get your fingers on it. Then there's enough room to get a funnel in to fill it again.

I have never removed the panels on either my past 07 or my current 14 to do a coolant change. Just remove the fasteners and pull the side panel out enough to remove the radiator cap. You can get a funnel to the fill opening with no trouble.

Factory coolant is good stuff....

I refill w/ Honda Auto coolant w/ every OTHER valve check.

If you don't have 50k - 60k miles, I would leave the stuff alone.

No need to change the oil either. Lots of people don't bother with oil changes on their cars and they have no problems, so it must be OK.

FWIW - most of those no-oil change people are from the 1/2 with no balls to fall off.
wink.png
Now now Fred.... EVERYONE knows you change the oil on a regular basis.

FWIW - most of those no-oil change people are from the 1/2 with no balls to fall off.
wink.png
Now now Fred.... EVERYONE knows you change the oil on a regular basis.
Since you asked... Yeah, I do change the oil regularly on my bikes, and my cars, and on my friggen lawnmower for that matter.

I also change the coolant on bikes and cars after 3-5 years depending on which type is being used. Coolants lose their anti-corrosive properties after extended periods of exposure to metal, so it is purely the length of time in the engine that dictates when it should be replaced. Mileage doesn't matter. Coolant doesn't "wear out", it just loses its additive package over time.

On the FJRs I generally just change the amount of coolant that drains out during a valve check (no "blow job), which is most of of it, since I've already had to drain it for doing the check. No need to change it between checks unless you somehow can't manage to ride 24k miles in 4-5 years. That would be pretty sad.

Both jobs are preventive maintenance.

Oh, and to explain the comment that you were replying to, the "1/2 of people with no balls to fall off" would be women. Those are the people more likely to not bother doing oil and coolant changes. I'll show you my nut sack if you really want to see it.