My house to BigJohnSD's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cav47

Adventure Seeker
Reaction score
Since we all like pictures, here they are. Not much else to say if you have ridden from my house to Johns. A little tongue and cheek but if you have ridden across that area before, you know what I am saying. The ride was made bearable by Sarg. Picking him up in Iowa saved a rotten start to the trip.

My house as I rolled out of the garage

D33947B5-61C2-4A1C-BEF7-494DDC66AB43_zps7qdyhwiw.jpg

First Gas Stop.

C7C55343-530C-4AE8-8857-78B83847B7DD_zpssvzycuq1.png

I am the blue dot down in the bottom right corner. I have to go to the top left corner.

BFEE88FA-2239-402A-AE24-7FE7C70C60A1_zpszpqlekvw.png

1096.6 miles later

1F6C502E-8B64-4F12-B14D-13132F42DF3F_zpsiezwlhdm.png

F25CBB39-BC87-466A-9C17-A433B1A326E0_zps4hc8hwmp.jpg

Stats and Data

2F93E9A5-6619-46F3-882B-9F54E36BC240_zps2fwdvf3m.jpg

1096.6 divided by 16.75 hours = 65.47mph. Not a bad average considering the rain and wind. Both were brutal.

Gotta send in the receipts, signatures, and other paperwork. Just to make it "official"

Congrats, but damn, I'd have rolled back into bed. I can't imagine dealing with receipts when the rider, the bike and the gear are all soaking wet. That alone would have done me in.

I couldn't roll back over, John was leaving the next morning for Red Lodge and I was meeting Sarg somewhere in Iowa.

The receipt thing worried me a little, but most places have covered pumps and I had a waterproof spot inside the top case already to go. I am convinced the real IronButt Rally people have a simple system that is efficient and automatic. I tried to come up with my own and top case zippered waterproof seemed the way to go.

I nearly lost my turnaround receipt right at the end due to a stiff breeze. For a first SS1000, just thinking about doing it like that stresses me out. More power to you sir.

Congrats on the SS1000. Welcome to the crazy fun house. Although, I think I might be checked out of that mad-house. You are welcome to my strait-jacket! Congrats again!

Thanks for all the congrats.

Essentially this will be 2nd one that I did but the paperwork for the last one was really not complete. 2 years ago after the first westward trip, I was feeling the pull toward the barn. So I made a quick decision to bust it home. I had been gone long enough and missed the family. So I left Mountain Home Idaho amd ride to Cheyenne Wyoming the first day. The next day I wanted to be home. So I rode home. I got a later start than I wanted to because it was very cold in Cheyenne that morning.

I made sure I learned from the first attempt. I did ride all the way home, but I got sloppy with start times, food intake, and water needs. Those mistakes made me lose focus and I failed to secure a proper receipt at one place and then my final check in was not possible because the last gas station was closed. So I went home and figured I would rectify it later. I did not get up early enough, this missing the 24 hour window. So, no dice!! I failed.

Not this time. Way better preparation and planning. Whether it's homework, football practice, or distance riding proper logistical intentions can make or break you. SS1000 are not that hard when you do it right. Hell, my sorry self can do it. Beyond that distance, you have both my admiration and awe!! Dudes like Tony are freaks!!

My distance pursuits are almost quenched because the interstates kinda suck, I like curves more, and the adventure is off the beaten path.

Last edited by a moderator:
For someone who likes curvy roads you sure do live in the wrong state. At least I can get to southern Missouri in a couple of hours. It's double that for you.

For someone who likes curvy roads you sure do live in the wrong state. At least I can get to southern Missouri in a couple of hours. It's double that for you.
You are so right, but if I told the wife we were moving solely because I wanted better roads to ride, she might help just me pack! Lol.

I will say that the roads in Illinois are not very curvy, but they sure are flat! Lol.