Bike im looking at

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anomic

Reaction score
2004 fjr 1300 abs

11,000 miles

Very nic cosmetic conditikn

Topcase givi

Bar risers otherwise stock

Im reading on here about cct, ticking etc. with this year what all do i need to look at whwn checking the bike out

That poor unloved '04! It is one of the best year FJRs for problem free riding yet there it has been just sitting there.

Look at the tires, even if they have low wear but are old they should be changed. No biggie.

Ticking is highly unlikely, even if it does eventually start to tick it doesn't cause the bike break and not run or cause it to run bad, it will continue to run normally for a very, very long time. Your job would be to ignore the noise for tens of thousands of miles, then down the road you may need to check the oil level once or twice between changes.

The CCT is really almost a non issue with a bike that young. It should be changed at some point but it's not an emergency. Even if the CCT allows the cam chain to start to make noise it's not going to effect riding, it's just a notification that it's time to start thinking about getting it changed.

If you do buy it, you should run some kind of fuel system cleaner through it occasionally because that poor bike has sat a lot.

The battery will probably have to be changed.

Fluids should be changed, especially the brake fluid and the ABS metering block should be cycled. There is some small risk that the rear wheel ABS spool may be frozen. The brakes will still work fine, but the rear ABS won't stop the wheel from locking on hard braking -- just like a normal motorcycle.

If the price looks good to you bring it home and put some miles on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Ive been putting 2500/month on the sabre i have.
Holy cow! 2,500 miles X 12 months x 36 years =
wink.png
I assume you got it used fairly recently. SabMag mailing list?

A number of Sabre/Magna people have ended up here on FJRs. VF1100S? I've put about 160k miles on a pair of VF1100S.

Well times 7 months lol. My commute alone is 1500 a month. And i use it for the majority of my errands/running around. V10 f250 is my other vehicle that i try to drive as little as possible. Its a vf1100 2003. Really solid bike only had 8000 when i got it needed some carb work but i like it. Just want something to keep up better with my friends on sportbikes and more comfort on highway. The sabre also sits me on my tailbone and i want to sit on my ass Majaority of my commute is 79mph with a bit of stop and go. I think the fjr will be alot more comfortable. Here it is

Just as a price point, my not pristine '04 with 110k miles sold for just a tick under $4k. I had stripped most of the farkles off the bike first so it was somewhat stock. It went with bar risers, heated grips, AVCC cruise control that works well and aftermarket suspension as the primary items left on the bike.

Sounds like it is a good bike if it checks out mechanically. The Gen I bikes are the fastest of the bunch. It will let you keep up with your friends and do it in comfort.

I tried friends cbr600rr and gsxr 750 and liked the power but not the comfort. Hopefully the fjr can be a "one bike" solution for me. Commuting, daily driver, and able to keep up with them.

Already installed. They are 1" up 1" back feel pretty good. Needs tires so i couldnt run it very hard but like it Alot

^^^^ So this means you have the FJR mentioned in the opening post? If so, congratulations.

Wow, looks like a first!

No one has yet said, "this has been discussed, use the search engine!"

You guys are going soft. ;)

OP - NO worries, it's a great bike. Enjoy!

I kind of pulled a wheelie in 1st and then hitting 2nd on the test ride. This thing goes. On the "track portion" of the ride i hit 120 before i wven realized it! This thing is butter smooth at 120 it feels better than the sabre at 60. My friend that went with me on the gsxr750 was really suprised. Once i get the new tires broken in and figure out the shift points.. Already let them know -- if they make fun of the bags i wont carry any of their crap and wont share any icy cold water out of my cooler in the topcase

I really like the comfort. With the bar risers the riding posistion is great. And the passenger pegs are nice to move legs to get a different posistion. Was about 95* today and the prior owner has a giant oversize windscreen on. I wasnt getting much air. He was around 6'1 im 5'8" so im going to try the oem screen and see. Got to adj the levers etc for my small hands. I can reach better when they are moved up a little closer to horizontal.

Big bummer is my phone wont fit in the glovebox... Im looking to get some sort of mount for it anyway. Have a powered tom tom mount with the bike might use one of them

Already at the shop for tires, inspection, and fluids. Wont have her back until middle of the week 😔