2004 seat on a 2008?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chostovs

Reaction score
Hi all... I have the opportunity to buy a Russel Day Long seat from a former 2004 owner. The seat pan doesn't first my 2008. If U buy the seat and transfer it to my 2008 seat pan, will it fit? In othe rewords, is the older version seat the same shape ands size as the revised seat. I assume it because the original FJR 2004 seat was not height adjustable.

Chuck in Toronto

I don't believe it will work. The Gen1's are a single seat if I recall and the Gen2's are a two piece unit.

I don't recommend it,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Gen 1 is a two piece seat but I don't know about swaping the foam and cover. If it was cheap I would try it.:)

Won't work. Gen I seat locks the front seat, gen II locks the rear, and the Gen II has a height adjustment. There is nothing interchangeable about the seats.

my plan is to buy the used Russell, remove the padding and vinyl from the Gen 1 seat, and transfer it to the Gen 2 seat pan and staple it on....

will this plan work?

Considered the same. I think its worth a shot.

I did ask Russell about this and they frowned on it. Of course they want to sell another seat.

I did ask Russell about this and they frowned on it. Of course they want to sell another seat.
Or, more likely, they don't want to be associated with something half-ass....an admirable position IMO.

Taking a custom seat and trying to make it work on a different pan defeats the point. Call me one that if you want a Russell..do it right the first time and get one built.

Left out the "dont".

Call me one....?

You never know who's out there, chostovs may be the next star in custom seat building, he's gotta start somewhere.

my plan is to buy the used Russell, remove the padding and vinyl from the Gen 1 seat, and transfer it to the Gen 2 seat pan and staple it on....

will this plan work?

No, that will not work at all.

The seat pans are different shapes and sizes, in addition to different attachment mechanisms. The foam bottom will be shaped all wrong, so you can't transfer it between the seat pans. The covers will not even work as the passenger seat area is much longer on the 1st Gen and the drivers seat shorter and different shape.

Sell the 1st Gen Russell for what you can get and use the money to buy a custom seat on 2nd Gen seat pans.

will this plan work?

No, that will not work at all.

The seat pans are different shapes and sizes, in addition to different attachment mechanisms. The foam bottom will be shaped all wrong, so you can't transfer it between the seat pans. The covers will not even work as the passenger seat area is much longer on the 1st Gen and the drivers seat shorter and different shape.

Sell the 1st Gen Russell for what you can get and use the money to buy a custom seat on 2nd Gen seat pans.

+1

I inquired about the same idea with my Lamm seat from a Gen1 to Gen3, Seth said its your seat do with it as you like but I won't touch it & suggested I not attempt it. So as mentioned above I sold Gen 1 seat and used funds to have Gen3 seat built and it is as good as the Gen1 ever was.

thanks for all the advice, I guess I all send my seat in the winter to Russel or Laam.

How does the Laam feel compared to the Russel, anyone know? My mail complaint about the Russel as the way it looks on an FJR.

best, Chuck

Check out the "OW my Butt" thread for some good info.

I alway thought the Russell was kinda big and ugly, I think now he's making a low-seat version but the one I had was awesome. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Looks comfy! looks ugly! but I have owned 15 motorcycles and this is the best bike with the worst seat I have ever owned. haha

Russell seats just may have been discussed once or twice before.
rolleyes.gif

Only 336 hits on this forum alone. I hope you have time to read a few posts...

Not true, Dave.

The wings are so that you can support your body weight across the width of your but, no matter how big it is. Even for little Josie, the difference between riding on a relatively narrow stock seat, where her 100 lbs of body weight is supported only on the inner thighs and sitz bones, to the "tractor seat" looking Russell, where the weight is spread out evenly across the entire gluteus maximus, is the difference between her being able to ride all day in relative comfort and having to stop every hour for a butt break.

The hefty boys need to order the "heavy spring" option from Russell only because the normal weight spring would begin to sag after too short of a time and no longer support as well. But they all have the wings of the same general shape.

Latest posts