Help with Barbarian Mod & CO setting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephanM

Reaction score
Did the Barbarian Mod yesterday, because I think the bike is running lean. Not hard, move the green wire from pin 25 to empty pin 23.

But I can't access the CO menu on the console. So either I did the mod wrong, or I'm trying to access the menu incorrectly.

Can someone please confirm the mod, and how to access the setting on the console?

Thanks.

Did the Barbarian Mod yesterday, because I think the bike is running lean. Not hard, move the green wire from pin 25 to empty pin 23.But I can't access the CO menu on the console. So either I did the mod wrong, or I'm trying to access the menu incorrectly.

Can someone please confirm the mod, and how to access the setting on the console?

Thanks.
why do you think your bike is running loan? what are the symptoms of loan mixture?is running hotter than normal?

BJM will only affect the mix at idle....making the idle richer might make the throttle tip in smoother and get rid of some of the abruptness. I changed mine up nine and it did smooth out the throttle...

@lele: On hot days, all is good. On cold mornings, I get huge surges when starting from a stop. The bike will almost stall, then suddenly take off like a rocket. Even when the engine is hot. It's quite unsafe.

The fix recomemded on this forum was either this mod, or installing a Power Commander (but that's expensive).

@lele: On hot days, all is good. On cold mornings, I get huge surges when starting from a stop. The bike will almost stall, then suddenly take off like a rocket. Even when the engine is hot. It's quite unsafe.The fix recomemded on this forum was either this mod, or installing a Power Commander (but that's expensive).
are you sure is not an electrical problem? seems bad coil or timing

Nope, not sure at all. How could I test?

I just assumed it was caused by being lean because it only happens when it's below 13°C outside.

Okay, thanks to Graler's link, it found and fixed my crossed wires. 👍

FYI, the original CO values on my 2007 FJR AE are:

Cylinder

1: -5

2: 8

3: 8

4: 11

I did +7 on all four just to see. I have not tested the changes yet.

I do have a question. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but there are 2 unused plugs. One female plug with 4 black wires, just sitting there by the harness. And another female plug but with 6 black wires and capped. Have you heard of this? What are they for?

Okay, thanks to Graler's link, it found and fixed my crossed wires.

Cylinder

I do have a question. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but there are 2 unused plugs. One female plug with 4 black wires, just sitting there by the harness. And another female plug but with 6 black wires and capped. Have you heard of this? What are they for?
Probably these plugs are for the Yamaha cyclelock anti theft alarm..

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, thanks to Graler's link, it found and fixed my crossed wires.

Cylinder

The six black wires are almost certainly a "ground spider". If you remove the cap you will find a six legged shorting device. If the bike is new to you it would be good preventive maintenance to locate all the ground spiders, open them up (pull the shorting device), and treat them with your favourite corrosion preventive. I use ACF-50 but there are all sorts of alternatives...........

To find out more about "ground spiders" try googling "ground spider site:fjrforum.com" without the quotation marks.............

Your bike is a Gen 2,then as Donal wrote,these plugs are ground spiders.In my Gen 1 very similar plugs under of the rear seat are for the cyclelock antitheft alarm.Also a photo of these plugs could help a lot to tell you for sure..

I have been running with Wally's Smooooooothness map in a PC on my 2006.

Decided to try the Barbarian Mod and restored the bike to stock , bypassing the PC and restoring connection to O2 sensor.

Did the mod and read the Co numbers.

-5 8 8 11

Seems a bit radical.

Is it worth running the bike for a while to see if these numbers change or are they permanently in the firmware of the ECU?

From the CO mode you can change the number up and down as you see fit (or as the 4 channel EGA instructs you).

From the CO mode you can change the number up and down as you see fit (or as the 4 channel EGA instructs you).
I understand that from the instructions. You change the numbers adding 7 to each and I know how to do that.

But that doesn't answer my question.

Decided to try the Barbarian Mod and restored the bike to stock , bypassing the PC and restoring connection to O2 sensor.Did the mod and read the Co numbers.

-5 8 8 11

Seems a bit radical.
So, where is the question? But, for a '06 those are typical OEM set CO numbers. There was a significant change in CO settings between '05 and '06 and it has gone unexplained why the change between Gens.

Is it worth running the bike for a while to see if these numbers change or are they permanently in the firmware of the ECU?
The numbers are programmed into the ECU and remain in permanent memory until changed via the CO screen. The numbers only change via the CO screen.

If your '06 was one of the ones that had the ECU changed in the recall, the replacement ECU has CO numbers totally unrelated to the bike it is now installed in. Nobody with a replacement ECU noticed or at least complained that their FJR ran poorly after the ECU swap.

Did I still miss THE ANSWER? Sometimes I'm a bit slow and I'm on my way out to the grill, meat and bottle in hand and will probably get even slower :)

the only EGA I have is wifey
bad.gif

Latest posts