CO settings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammess

Reaction score
I decided to start a new thread to ask a question about the CO settings on my 2010 Gen2 FJR. I did the jumper trick on the ECU connector which involved moving the wire from pin#23 to pin#25 on the connector. Not really a jumper. Then I checked the CO settings for cylinder 1 - 4 and noted they were all set to zero (0). This kind of surprised me because of what I've read about what other folks have noted on their bikes. So, I guess I should just set each cylinder to +7 or not since the bike seems pretty happy as is. Anyway, my curiosity about the Barbaric jumper is satisfied and it is neat to be able to check diagnostic codes.

On the other thread I made a kind of sarcastic comment about how I think Yamaha should maybe contract BMW to package their motorcycles as it is kind of a hassle to access the air filter but I guess I'm just spoiled.

No, I don't want my '04 R1150RT back.
no.gif

When the KoolAid makers see the light and put an axle through the center of the final drive I might be tempted to take another sip. But, then there is the cost.

I couldn't resist and reprogramed all 4 CO settings to +7 and fired it up and let idle till warmed up and it maybe was a bit smoother but it was pretty smooth to begin with and maybe smoother at idle than my neighbor's brand new 2015. Seriously, I just can't complain much at all about my FJR.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to start a new thread to ask a question about the CO settings on my 2010 Gen2 FJR. I did the jumper trick on the ECU connector which involved moving the wire from pin#23 to pin#25 on the connector. Not really a jumper. Then I checked the CO settings for cylinder 1 - 4 and noted they were all set to zero (0). This kind of surprised me because of what I've read about what other folks have noted on their bikes. So, I guess I should just set each cylinder to +7 or not since the bike seems pretty happy as is. Anyway, my curiosity about the Barbaric jumper is satisfied and it is neat to be able to check diagnostic codes.
On the other thread I made a kind of sarcastic comment about how I think Yamaha should maybe contract BMW to package their motorcycles as it is kind of a hassle to access the air filter but I guess I'm just spoiled.

no.gif
From what I remember, older FJRs had variable CO settings. From (about) 2009 they came with all four set to zero. I can only assume the factory made whatever settings it felt were necessary and then 'called it' zero.

Based on what I read on one of the UK forums I set all four on mine to 17. It made a definite difference to smoothness and I still get good fuel consumption. YMMV

From my experience, the idle will never smooth out completely on an FJR, especially if you have the O2 sensor installed and functional, since the fuel injection will go closed loop and adjust itself at idle for a fairly lean mixture.

Where you are more likely to feel the difference of the added fuel from bumping the CO setting up is as you first roll on the throttle from the stop, when the fuel injection switches to open loop mode. the FJR ECU only goes into closed loop mode at idle and during "cruise" situations, which is where the throttle position is not changing over a relatively long period of time.

no.gif
Anything you thought you needed to "fix" with the Barbarian (not Barbaric) Jumper Mod (BJM)? Or maybe Barbaric is the right term...

I think there MAY have been some slight benefit on the very earliest FJRs but not lately.

On your air filter comment; I can remove the side cover, take the filter out (to examine, replace or blow out the dust), replace it and button everything back up in maybe 20 minutes. Try performing the same service on a Goldwing GL1800.

From my experience, the idle will never smooth out completely on an FJR, especially if you have the O2 sensor installed and functional, since the fuel injection will go closed loop and adjust itself at idle for a fairly lean mixture.
Where you are more likely to feel the difference of the added fuel from bumping the CO setting up is as you first roll on the throttle from the stop, when the fuel injection switches to open loop mode. the FJR ECU only goes into closed loop mode at idle and during "cruise" situations, which is where the throttle position is not changing over a relatively long period of time.
Hi Fred, Yes, I was wondering about the effects of closed loop at idle on different CO settings. I think I'm going to reset all back to zero and call it a day. As you know on the '93RS one could install the missing CO pot and tweak for best idle but only if the O2 sensor was disconnected to prevent closed loop.

I wonder if on the FJR the ECU would produce a fault code if the O2 sensor is disconnected.

On your air filter comment; I can remove the side cover, take the filter out (to examine, replace or blow out the dust), replace it and button everything back up in maybe 20 minutes. Try performing the same service on a Goldwing GL1800.
Or a K1200LT

Afternoon guys, Not to beat a dead horse but I set all 4 CO settings from zero to 30 after a test ride with all set at 25. At 25 I can definitely say I notice a much smoother idle and less jerkiness riding in town at slow (15 mph) speeds so I decided if a little is good then why not add a bit more so 30 it is. I'm going to stop with 30 but I surely do notice an improvement at 25. IMO the jumper mod is worth doing and is certainly easy at least for a generation 2.

I wish I had discovered these fine motorcycles years ago but, as is said, "better late........"

"maybe 30 is too much fuel.u wash the cylinders"

Let him be. There hasn't been enough destruction testing

of FJR engines. Inquiring minds want to know what

happens next. Could be a learning experience at

someone else's expense.