Traditions, Legends and Milestones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBandit

Reaction score
Traditions, Legends and Milestones

A celebration of the love of family, the love of our country and the love of my FJR!

20160704_193900.jpg

The picture above was taken two weeks ago tonight on July 4th. From left to right are my wife, Mrs. Bandit, Uncle George, Aunt Clack and myself. Four years ago my wife and I began a new July 4th tradition. Since then, each year over the July 4th holiday we have saddled up the FJR and ridden to Charleston, West Virginia to visit Aunt Clack and Uncle George. This was our fourth year in a row and we can't wait to go back next year and see them again!

This was just the start of what was planned to be a nine day ride for me, five of which Mrs. Bandit would be joining me. We struck out on Saturday morning, July 2nd and headed through the Coosa Valley area northeast of Gadsden, AL, following along the base of Lookout Mountain. It's a ridgeline that runs 84 miles from downtown Chattanooga, TN to Gadsden, AL. In addition to being very scenic, with canyons, rivers, waterfalls and gorgeous overlooks, history abounds along and near Lookout Mountain.

IMG_3502.JPG

We continued on into Northwest Georgia to our favorite BBQ place in the area, Col. Poole's BBQ in Ellijay, GA. Not only is the BBQ excellent, it's an interesting little place. On a side note, I realize most of you aren't familiar with my new traveling companion, Popcorn Chicken. He's become one of the most famous chicken's in all of America in a short period of time. He made his inaugural FJR ride back in May when he went on a 10 day 5,000 mile ride to New Mexico and Colorado with me. (Yes, I have been derelict in my duty and have yet to post my ride report from that ride, but I promise it is forthcoming.
fool.gif
) Anyway, next time you are in the area I encourage you to get your name onto "The Hill of Fame" just as Popcorn Chicken did!

20160702_150510.jpg

20160702_150732.jpg

We enjoyed our BBQ and then watched some of the fellow patrons ride the piggie.

20160702_150744.jpg

Mrs. Bandit relaxed a little on the piggie porch before we strapped our gear back on and headed back out into the heat!

20160702_151643.jpg

It wasn't quite this warm, but it sure felt like it.

IMG_3503.JPG

Next stop was only about 30 minutes away, but it's ALWAYS a highlight of any ride into Northwest GA. In Blue Ridge, GA you'll find Mercier Orchards. If you've never been, well, you just gotta go see it for yourself. Here we are getting ready to go inside to enjoy some fried pies, apple and peach a la mode for FJRBandit!

20160702_155802.jpg

Well, as we are getting the gear off I spot a familiar face. While I had never met this world renowned character in person before it was impossible to not recognize this mug! I yelled out across the parking lot, "Hey Joey!" None other than Mr. and Mrs. hppants were headed in to Merciers to enjoy some fried pie as well!

20160702_155821.jpg

20160702_155836.jpg

We introduced ourselves and went inside with Joey and Tammy to enjoy some fried pie and nice conversation. Although I had never met pants before I felt as though I already knew him from all of the excellent ride reports he's shared with us through the years. Before we knew it at least an hour had slid by and Mercier was closing. So we said our goodbyes and each headed on our way. It was nice to meet you both and I look forward to seeing you at SFO in late October! Yes - I am a moron, not only did I forget the pics of the Col. Poole's BBQ, but I even forgot the pics of the fried pie!

We headed north into Tennessee and caught TN 68 through Ducktown and on to Tellico Plains. The shame of this was it was way too late to run up the Cherahola Skyway, one of my favorite roads in all of the US! We stopped at the little store at the entrance to the skyway and had a refreshing beverage and a nice chat with a local couple who had been out on a nice ride that day, she on her FZ 07 and he on his 2011 FJR. We were headed to Knoxville for the evening so they suggested that we take TN 360 to Vonore. So off we went. Beautiful and scenic, a road that should not be missed when in the area!

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3530.JPG

Then we made it into Knoxville, where as we were passing through the campus of the University of Tennessee we came across the makeshift memorial to the legendary Coach Pat Summit who had passed away just a couple of days before. She coached the Lady Vols to eight National championships in her 38 year career as the head coach at Tennessee. Not only was she the winning most basketball coach in NCAA history, she was a damn fine lady who was a mentor and hero to more than just the players she coached. She was, and will always remain, an inspiration to all. RIP Pat Summitt!

IMG_3533.JPG

We made our way to the Knoxville Marriott, site of NAFO 2010, and settled in for the evening.

IMG_3535.JPG

20160702_234710.jpg

20160702_211757.jpg

20160702_234613.jpg

Next up, Day 2, on to Charleston, WV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great ride report so far!!!! Subscribed for sure!!!! I haven't ridden Hwy 360 out of Tellico Plains in a while. Thanks for the reminder - next time I will run that road.

Tammy and I took the long July 4th weekend to wander around North Georgia in the cage. We are looking at places to retire at, and Blue Ridge is on the short list for sure. At Mercers, I spotted that FJR from waaaaayyyyy across the parking lot. As we walked toward the building, I told my wife "there's an FJR, wonder if they are on the forum?" Just as I said that, I hear "Joey!!!!". You should have seen the look on my wife's face. Priceless, man.

Turk! Fried pies. I'm genuinely jealous. I've got to get back to Mont Eagle!

Thank you gentlemen, and even Uncle Hud!
rolleyes.gif
Bungie, although we didn't make it to Mont Eagle on this trip, I'm with you, the pies there are out of this world! Just ask Cav47. And yes, you do need to get back this way.... if you didn't expect to have 10 feet of snow by Halloween I suppose you could come down for our little gathering then.
coolsmiley02.gif

On with the next couple of days.... Days 2 & 3

Day 2

So we got a little bit of a late start out of Knoxville on the morning of the 3rd. The Marriott bed was just too comfortable and we only had 350 miles or so to go. As we went to bed the night before the forecast looked rather ominous so we figured it would be big roads anyway, no need to hurry. As we got up and took a look at the radar for the region we were headed to there appeared to be a four or five hour window between large rain systems moving across the Ohio Valley, Eastern Kentucky and into West Virginia. So we decided to take the interstate to Kingsport and then shoot essentially straight north on US 23 to Pikeville, KY and then take US 119 to Charleston, WV. It's not the most exciting route but it's fairly scenic and was a nice trade off between making a little time and staying off of the interstate.

Heading out from the Marriott, directly across the street is the James White Fort, which was erected in 1786 by none other than James White, the founder of Knoxville.

IMG_3538.JPG

IMG_3537.JPG

A few hours later we made it to Pikeville, KY, home of the Hatfield and McCoy feud, and one DEAD ass town on a Sunday afternoon.

IMG_3540.JPG

It was pretty, but dead! So we parked right on Main St. and walked around the little park in the center of town. There's something about bears in Pikeville that the locals will have to tell us about, because I dunno what it's all about. But bear things were everywhere. There was even a chicken that "Popped" up out of nowhere.

IMG_3539.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

IMG_3543.JPG

Since it was already pushing 2 p.m. and we hadn't had lunch yet we were getting a little hungry. But the town was locked up tight! So we headed back out to the bypass and found the area mall. There were all sorts of chain restaurants there. I don't particularly care for the chains when I'm traveling but when they have this I'll make an exception.
punk.gif

20160703_143553.jpg

Mrs. Bandit got the extra large vanilla shake and since I was watching my girlish figure I got the small vanilla.
no.gif
Man, those things were tasty! She also had the supersize double "steak"burger (we were at Steak and Shake after all) and I had the kids meal with a small "steak"burger and a side salad.
not_i.gif
So when she sees you all she'll claim she didn't get the large this and the large that, but you know who's telling the truth, don't you???
argue.gif

After we finished our vanilla shakes we took a look at the radar and saw that our time for goofing around was over, or we would be donning the Frogg Toggs. It was time to go see Aunt Clack and Uncle George after all. So we high tailed it on to US 119 and made our way to Charleston, WV.

IMG_3546.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

Before we knew it we were there. My cousin Paula makes THE best banana pudding on the planet so you can only imagine my delight when she came out with this.

20160703_192329.jpg

Of course I didn't take any pictures of the hamburgers Paula's man Bob had grilled for us, I was too busy thinking about that banana pudding. Wouldn't you??

20160703_192305.jpg

With bellies full and a glass (or two) of vino in our hands, we sat around and chatted for awhile. It's always good to catch up with Aunt Clack. Although she can't travel like she used to she is still interested in all of the places that we go and visit. She always wants to see the pictures from our travels and many of the places we've been to she and Uncle George have also visited in their travels through the years. But most of all she really couldn't wait to meet the most traveled chicken in the country, Popcorn Chicken. She demanded to have her picture taken with him. He's becoming a star I tell you!

20160703_193940.jpg

It was the evening of July 3rd and they were having the big fireworks show in downtown Charleston that night along the banks of the Kanawha River. Paula, Bob, Jana (Mrs. Bandit) and I headed down to catch the show. Aunt Clack and Uncle George didn't feel like getting out in the crowd so they stayed behind (and ate more banana pudding).
smile.png

After we got home from the excellent fireworks show we had another glass of wine or three and it was time to hit the hay.

We really didn't expect to be able to make much of a ride around the back roads of West Virginia the next day due to the almost continuous rain they had been having. On that note, I'm sure most of you are aware they have had horrible flooding that killed upwards of 23 people and destroyed over 1,200 homes around the state. The damage was widespread and the people of West Virginia are all pulling together to help those that lost everything try to rebuild. Please everyone keep the good people of West Virginia in your thoughts and prayers as they recover from this tragedy.

Day Three - July 4th / Happy Birthday America!

So the next morning dawned and unfortunately there was the predicted rain. The day was July 4th and I really wanted to go to the motorcycle show in Fayetteville that day. About 11 a.m. the weather eased up so Jana and I took off for Fayetteville. We headed down I-64 to East Bank and jumped on US 60, a winding road that follows the banks of the Kanawha upstream from Charleston. Along the way there are several old industrial and mining towns, that mostly have shuttered their doors. It's like taking a trip back through time really. But there is also much beauty to be seen.

20160704_125208.jpg

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

The Kanawha Falls.

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

We were just enjoying the ride and taking in a few of the sights when we stumbled upon this cool little country store at Chimney Corner. Of course we had to stop and check it out! We bought a couple of trinkets that were made from coal carvings. There were several that were really neat but we just bought refrigerator magnets. Then we both had a bottled Orange Crush and chewed on some rock candy like a couple of kids while we just sat back on the porch enjoying the comfortable weather. This is what it's all about right here! Time just slips away and the troubles of the real world is might as well be on Mars.

IMG_3568.JPG

20160704_135023.jpg

20160704_135115.jpg

Popcorn Chicken was poking around and pointed out a sign he felt we should all take note of.

20160704_135308.jpg

He's such a mug!

20160704_135350.jpg

Then it was on to the New River Gorge Bridge. I know many of you have been there before, as have I. But I never cease to be amazed at this engineering marvel. This was the first time I had taken the old road that goes down into the gorge and I was really excited about crossing the old bridge. Well, not! We had made it about half way down the canyon walls and came upon a road block. The road was closed due to the extreme flooding that had occurred below. So I had to settle for these pics. I guess I'll just have to go back next year and cross the old bridge, darn.
mda.gif

IMG_3572.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

Maybe you noticed the dark sky in the background of a couple of the bridge pics. Well, it was what you thought and just as we crossed the New River Gorge Bridge headed into Fayetteville the bottom dropped out! We had to scrap the plan to go to the motorcycle show and head back to Charleston.

The gold dome of the Capitol building, located in downtown Charleston.

IMG_3581.JPG

But that was ok, because it was time to do some grillin' and chillin'!

20160704_185154.jpg

We had another feast and for once I remembered to take a pic of our dinner. I even got our hosts in the picture.

20160704_193806.jpg

Aunt Clack, Uncle George and my cousin Paula - just three great people right there y'all! Thanks for another wonderful visit!

20160704_193941.jpg

This was to be our last night in Charleston, as we had to head for Baltimore the next day. Jana was scheduled to catch a flight early on the morning of the 6th and head back to Birmingham. Somebody in the family has to work so I can get out and ride! So after another glass of wine or two we all said our good byes, as we would be departing before their usual first coffee the next morning.

As I mentioned earlier, this was our fourth year in a row to spend the 4th of July with them. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Tomorrow, off to Baltimore by way of the West Virginia back country. Stay tuned!

Day 4 -

The next morning we had to strike out fairly early. We had some distance to cover plus the weather forecast showed rain later in the morning. We set the alarm for 6 a.m. and made it out the door by 7 a.m. That's very early by our standards when it's the two of us traveling together. But there's a reason that my favorite way to ride is with my wife and best friend occupying the pillion seat. Of course it is so I have someone to retrieve my beers for me when I'm chillin' after a long day on the bike.
bleh.gif
heart.gif
Actually it really is awesome to have her along with me on rides. She doesn't always get to go due to other personal obligations that eat up much of her vacation time. So when she does get to ride with me it just makes the trip extra special. But today is to be her last day riding with me on this trip. She was scheduled to fly back to Birmingham from Baltimore on a direct flight at 7 a.m. the next morning. I was planning to ride solo from Baltimore on Wednesday morning and take a leisurely stroll down the Eastern Shore of Maryland and then down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

However, my cousin Paula's man, Bob, a retired CPA who rides a sweet 2012 Goldwing, asked if I minded him joining me on the trek down the Atlantic Seaboard for the next few days. Well, of course not! He wasn't sure what time he could leave on Tuesday so we just made plans to meet in Baltimore the next morning. I would be having company on the next leg of the trip after all.

Jana and I hit the road and headed up I-77 to Bridgeport, WV where we planned to take US 50 across West Virginia all the way to Winchester, Virginia. Along the way we passed through the area of the state that had sustained the worst of the flooding. You could just tell by the terrain that 10 inches of rain in a short period of time would have devastating effects, and it did. A couple of the exits were actually closed because they were being used as staging areas for relief supplies and for waste collection points. It was really sad to see peoples homes in a rubbish pile, mixed in with children's toys and clothes and the rest of their worldly possessions.

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

IMG_3589.JPG

But before long, we were on the gorgeous US 50, the George Washington Highway. I couldn't help but think about all of the stagecoaches that had likely passed across many of these same tracks back in the yesteryear.

IMG_3592.JPG

And then the steam engine era came along.

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

But just like the telegraph operator and the Model "A", and I suppose even ourselves, there comes a time when we become obsolete. So you better enjoy ever day and get the most out of this short life while you can. What better way to do it than ride roads like this on an FJR?

IMG_3605.JPG

Even with the pain that comes with the swollen rivers it was a beautiful sight.

IMG_3603.JPG

IMG_3600.JPG

Along the way we passed a few other relics of the past.

IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_3611.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3637.JPG

And several pretty old churches along the way. Here's just one of the many.

IMG_3607.JPG

But mostly, it was just beautiful countryside. I thoroughly enjoyed our ride down memory lane on what was likely one of America's first expansions to the west, what ultimately came to be known as the George Washington Highway.

IMG_3617.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG

After stopping for a light snack and a cold beverage in Romney, WV we made our way on down the road. Before long, we were in the land of lovers.

IMG_3642.JPG

You know you are getting close to the Washington Metro area when you cross the Potomac River at Harper's Ferry. We so wanted to stop, climb in a tube and float in the river for a little while. But sometimes you just have to keep moving.

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

Before long, Maryland welcomed us and we knew we were nearing Baltimore.

IMG_3650.JPG

About an hour later we arrived at our hotel near the Baltimore airport in the beautiful Arundel Mills area. I ran up to the store to pick up a cold beverage or two and parked next to a Tesla. While I have seen a few on the road, this is the first time I had been up close and personal with one of these cars. WOW, what a gorgeous machine! It's almost as sexy as the Grey Ghost sitting next to it!

20160705_191636.jpg

And that brings Day Four to a close. Tomorrow, Jana flies the friendly skies back home and I'm joined by my new riding partner. Till then, keep polishing those pipes!
rambo.gif

Very nice! Charleston is only about an hour south of me. My mothers family grew up in the Gauley Bridge region, so I go down that way as often as I can to soak up some history. Good luck and safe travels on the rest of your trip!

I shall like very much to return to West Virginia and see much more of that fine State. In the meantime, I'm enjoying riding vicariously through the Bandit!!

Good stuff, Turk! Keep it coming!

Sooze and I have ridden that stretch of 50 coming into Winchester several times. It's definitely a nice scenic ride.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind words.

I'm gonna try to get it wrapped up this evening. I'm leaving early in the morning on a flight to Denver to pick up an FJR for a friend here in Birmingham. Doing a fly and ride on a bike he bought from a forum member in Colorado Springs. I'm going to be picking the bike up in the morning and then basically iron butting it for the next three days back to Birmingham. Gonna be a warm ride through the heartland!

Planning on coming through Joplin and then down through Jonesboro, AR. Shooting to make it to Memphis Saturday night. Wouldn't you know I would pick THE hottest weekend of the year to do this!
fool.gif
Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it!
bike.gif

Camelback filled with ice. Use your imagination for cooling under your jacket. Refill as required.