Looking for suggestions. Leaving L.A. for 2-4 (maybe 5) days in early Aug.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruinFJRguy

Reaction score
Hey all,

I know a lot of you have a lot of experience doing lots of miles and hopefully some of you want to give input on a ride in early August. I'm leaving from Los Angeles (Glendale, to be exact).

I've thought about doing an Iron Butt to my Dad's in Denver. I'd probably just slab it, though, as my time is limited and it would be nice to spend a day or two with Dad while I'm there.

Alternatively, I can forget the badge of honor for the Iron Butt and have some fun riding twisties off into the distance somewhere. Anyone have any good ideas for routes? South from LA into the desert and beyond could be OK, but it might be hot. Alternatively, maybe a jaunt up north somewhere would be better; of course, there is still that vast expanse in the middle of the state before I get somewhere interesting.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the route I took from Santa Ana to Red Lodge last month. I started late in the day, went at an easy pace, camped along the way and did a lot of sight-seeing. Four legs could easily be combined into two. The roads were great, traffic was light (except for I-15) and the scenery was spectacular.

Saturday —> Santa Ana to Quail Creek Park in Hurricane UT

https://goo.gl/maps/Hz5GeeVuuV72

Sunday —> Qual Creek Park in Hurricane UT to Green River State Park in Green River UT

https://goo.gl/maps/BrLwYXwjRH62

Monday —> Green River State Park in Green River, UT to Firehole Canyon Campground in Green River, WY

https://goo.gl/maps/n8TUpfKZFWv

Tuesday —> Firehole Canyon Campground in Green River, WY to Basin Campground in Red Lodge, MT

https://goo.gl/maps/rg38jTMYcUp

Looks to me like a good ride for (I'm assuming) your first SS1000. Interstates are convenient b/c you don't have to worry about routing or running out of gas. If you left around 1-2 am, you would ride the cool air all the way to St. George or so where the elevation begins, so you wouldn't have too much summer heat gassing you out. There are a lot worse roads out there than I-70--some really nice scenery all the way to Denver.

Just don't miss the turn while you're in the middle of the "Fillmore--Beaver" area:
winksmiley02.gif

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fillmore,+UT/Beaver,+UT/@38.619301,-112.7735735,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x874b58c895d72385:0x6edc76cb0df25629!2m2!1d-112.3397377!2d38.9638553!1m5!1m1!1s0x80b4d57ecb4fc9a5:0xbcd469b87d0d46ed!2m2!1d-112.6410518!2d38.2769149?hl=en

Up the Sierras on 395 to the Yosemite area, take 120 or 108 to get some altitude (and ride a fantastic road--I prefer 108, plus you don't have to pay--or wait--to get into the park), then 49 through the gold country. (edited to add: at Jackson, east on 88 to 89, just south of Lake Tahoe.) Then 89 to 50, around the lake on the west shore (back on 89) all the way to I-80. Then go spend some time with your old man. He won't live forever you know.

OP--> Let me know if you ever develop an interest in a Baja California loop. It's an itch that I have but don't want to run it solo - the older I get the more I accept the prospect of my own mortality.

I don't have any suggestions on a route, but I do offer one suggestion.Whatever route you take be sure to make time for that day or two with Dad.

OP--> Let me know if you ever develop an interest in a Baja California loop. It's an itch that I have but don't want to run it solo - the older I get the more I accept the prospect of my own mortality.
Thanks for the tips on the route. I'm checking them out now! And...I'm down for a Baja loop! Don't know when it will be, though. I was just thinking the other day about going down that way. We'll have to keep it in mind for the future.

I don't have any suggestions on a route, but I do offer one suggestion.Whatever route you take be sure to make time for that day or two with Dad.

Duly noted. Thanks.

Up the Sierras on 395 to the Yosemite area, take 120 or 108 to get some altitude (and ride a fantastic road--I prefer 108, plus you don't have to pay--or wait--to get into the park), then 49 through the gold country. (edited to add: at Jackson, east on 88 to 89, just south of Lake Tahoe.) Then 89 to 50, around the lake on the west shore (back on 89) all the way to I-80. Then go spend some time with your old man. He won't live forever you know.

That looks good too.

As it turns out, I have tomorrow off and my daughter is at grandma's until Sunday!

I'm trying to plan something STAT!!!

Anywhere north or east would be better than LA. South maybe. West maybe not so good, JS.

I used to be a sailor. I guess I still am but don't have a boat. West is off the table. lol

Looks to me like a good ride for (I'm assuming) your first SS1000. Interstates are convenient b/c you don't have to worry about routing or running out of gas. If you left around 1-2 am, you would ride the cool air all the way to St. George or so where the elevation begins, so you wouldn't have too much summer heat gassing you out. There are a lot worse roads out there than I-70--some really nice scenery all the way to Denver.
Just don't miss the turn while you're in the middle of the "Fillmore--Beaver" area:
winksmiley02.gif

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fillmore,+UT/Beaver,+UT/@38.619301,-112.7735735,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x874b58c895d72385:0x6edc76cb0df25629!2m2!1d-112.3397377!2d38.9638553!1m5!1m1!1s0x80b4d57ecb4fc9a5:0xbcd469b87d0d46ed!2m2!1d-112.6410518!2d38.2769149?hl=en

Thanks. It is HOT over here right now!!! I'm still thinking about Denver, but I might do a different route and save that one for later in the summer. Dad's not even going to be in Denver this weekend. (See above; turns out I have tomorrow off and no chitt'lin until Sunday! Wooo!)

I'm curious about this: "I've thought about doing an Iron Butt to my Dad's in Denver. I'd probably just slab it, though, as my time is limited and it would be nice to spend a day or two with Dad while I'm there."

That's the precise reason to do an SS1K ride on the Interstate system. Get there. Enjoy your time there. Get home.

An SS1K isn't that difficult, although you will feel it the next day: a little soreness and sluggishness. Get your start and finish witnesses in order before you start. Make sure to keep all your receipts along the way, recording your odometer reading directly on the receipt. Fill out your log later, when you have time. Mail it in. Get the cool-kid license plate backer.

And, by the way, us Southerners think chitterlings (pronounced chitlins or chittlins) are different than what you're thinking.

I'm curious about this: "I've thought about doing an Iron Butt to my Dad's in Denver. I'd probably just slab it, though, as my time is limited and it would be nice to spend a day or two with Dad while I'm there."
That's the precise reason to do an SS1K ride on the Interstate system. Get there. Enjoy your time there. Get home.

An SS1K isn't that difficult, although you will feel it the next day: a little soreness and sluggishness. Get your start and finish witnesses in order before you start. Make sure to keep all your receipts along the way, recording your odometer reading directly on the receipt. Fill out your log later, when you have time. Mail it in. Get the cool-kid license plate backer.

And, by the way, us Southerners think chitterlings (pronounced chitlins or chittlins) are different than what you're thinking.
I just read it, " I'm out of chitlins until I get out Sunday. Then I can get more. Maybe I'll get some salt & vinegar pork skins, too!" Either that or, "WooHoo! I don't have to choke down chitlins until Sunday!"

Sorry if I misinterpreted but I'm really good at that
rolleyes.gif

Alright, done lots of short rides since posting this thread. All jaunts around the LA area, one on the slab to Vegas and back. Still planning more runs and I should have time for a few multi-day trips this summer.

Definitely planning the SS1000 to Denver, probably in late May. I might keep going up to Southwestern Ontario Canada to see some relatives (but I'm also flying there in late June...hmmmm).

I flew to Cancun/Playa Del Carmen earlier in the month and became more interested in Mexico. I've considered an overnighter to San Filipe and back on the FJR for starters, and then a longer trip if all goes well on the first. I imagine the main loop around Baja would be fine for the FJR, but I'm thinking picking up a low-cost, used Wee-strom or V-strom might be better for some adventures deeper into the Baja and off the main highway.

Please weigh in! (Also, I read in other threads that there is lots of good info on the ADV rider forum, so I'll check there too.)

FrankD, did you do the Baja loop yet?

Alright. This is finally happening. :)

Leaving LA Weds night. I've got a good route planned thanks in large part to heeding Frank and Mike's suggestions.

I leave Denver on Monday and have 4 days to get home. That leaves time for a lot more site seeing, and a completely alternative route.

Suggestions? ???

There's a lot of great riding you could put together in that 4 days. I'd suggest adding in HWY 12 from Torrey UT south as part of your route, and check out Bryce and Zion's parks in UT if you've never been there.

Thanks, Spud! Yes, I'm planning on 12 in Ut as part of my route. I just got the premium Rever ap, wich has all Butler maps. I may buy maps later but this will do for now.

I've notice closer to Denver there are lots of great roads, but no real clear cut bypass to get into the city.

Considering AZ or cutting across further north and heading south through Ca. I'd like to maybe get into another state or two tho.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Spud" data-cid="1365318" data-time="1494859436"><p>

There's a lot of great riding you could put together in that 4 days. I'd suggest adding in HWY 12 from Torrey UT south as part of your route, and check out Bryce and Zion's parks in UT if you've never been there. </p></blockquote>

Latest posts