Seats Stock vs Sargent vs Corbin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan kim

Reaction score
I only had the 2016 FJR for a week but prior to getting the bike I purchased both Corbin and Sargent seats. I knew the stock seat wasn't idea for me because I only have 30 inch inseam after sitting on it at the show room. I was hoping aftermarket seats would lower the overall seat height as well as being more comfortable. The stock seat was too soft and on long rides I know it won't be comfortable for me. I first tried the Sargent and the foam was firmer and gave better support but the reach to the ground remained same as stock. Corbin gave me better reach by just a bit but not much compared to stock but was slippery. Corbin changed the whole geometry of the bike I'm sitting lower, the handlebar seemed higher, more knee bend and changed the way I changed gear with my foot. It was harder to do U-turns and handling of the bike. I didn't know seat height could affect how the bike handles.

I will use the Sargent seat as it is more comfortable than stock without changing the dimension of the FJR.

I can't speak about the Corbin but what I've read, your summary is right on. I'm 6'-2" and have the Sargent Seat in the higher seat position. It's perfect for me all around along with a medium height V-Stream windshield.

I loved my Corbin on my Gen 1's, hated it on my Gen 2's but tolerated it for my wife who loved it. I've gone to the Sargent for my Gen 3 and I'm very happy with it. As I enter geezerhood my knees really appreciate being able to keep the ability to adjust the height.

Like you, I have a 30 inch inseam. I've gotten used to utilizing my tip-toes when I stop. Cannot touch the ground flatfooted and I've had both Corbin and Sargent seats on my bike. Corbin was a little lower, but not as comfy (for me) as the Sargent.

Give it some time. It's amazing how your body gets used to something new. After awhile, it may just be that changing to anything else but what you've gotten used to over time will feel strange. Needless to say, just like the forum has said many times, there's nothing like a Russel Day Long or a Laam when it comes to comfort. But give yourself some time to get used to it all. For me, handlebar risers were much more important than the seat.

Dumb question: you did put the seat on its lowest setting right?

Gary

darksider #44

I loved my Corbin on my Gen 1's, hated it on my Gen 2's but tolerated it for my wife who loved it. I've gone to the Sargent for my Gen 3 and I'm very happy with it. As I enter geezerhood my knees really appreciate being able to keep the ability to adjust the height.
Funny, the pillions in my family were unanimous in their dislike of the Corbin on my Gen II because it is very far forward and very sloped at the back. They all like the Russell, though.

Gary, the Corbin only has one height - too low (at least for my 6'3" frame).

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a Corbin at first on my new 08 and ended up selling it on the forum. Lower to be sure, but as hard as a rock. Ended up getting a Sargent front and rear and loved it for 40,000 miles until I got the 14 and transferred the seat to it. Looks like new and really comfortable to me. I too was worried about not being able to flat foot it with my 30" inseam, but that was because I came from cruisers. You learn to anticipate how you are going to put your foot down at a stop.

In order to install the Corbin seat, you have to remove the plastic seat height adjuster. So that makes it lower than low setting on the stock seat.

Today I took my wife out for lunch and she complained that she couldn't use the grab rail. I had the Sargent seat on and completely forgot about the width of the seat. I have GIVI SR-357 rack and with Sargent & Corbin it takes away space for the pillion to hold the grab rail. I guess she'll be sitting on the stock seat, the few times a year she rides with me. My wife feels VFR 1200 is more comfortable as a passenger, I have always owned sporty bikes and maybe over time she'll find the FJR comfortable enough. I guess she's use to leaning forward and with somewhat straight up riding position in the FJR, we bang helmet several times. With my wife who weighs about 115LBS I can completely flat foot the machine.

I use an Air Hawk on the factory seat and with all the adjustments you can make, it is the most comfortable seat I have. I have spent as much as 60 days continuous riding my FJR through Mexico and never had a sore butt or tail bone. I also have a short inseam, and with the seat on the lower setting, the Air Hawk still allows me to touch the ground. I do wear taller soled boots as well. I have one for my wife as well!

I really like the look of the Sargent on the FJR. Had them on both previous BMW's. Unfortunately (?) I find the stock FJR seat okay for 8 to 9 hours so find it hard to justify the price of a new seat.

Both the Sargent and the Yamaha Comfort look great on the bike. The FJR is the first bike I've felt I needed to modify for comfort. First bar backs, first replacement seat, first peg relo. Ergo wise, the Yamaha cost as much as a comparable kraut bike after mods to make the Yamaha comfortable for LD perpetration. But the power remains insanely superior.

My bike came w/ a heated, leather Corbin 'n I hated it. Got a new sergeant, 'n it wuz better but I didn't like it. Fer me, the stock seat is better then either of 'em. YMMV

Wow! I haven't realized until now that I'm NOT the only freak of nature that actually likes the stock seat. Thanks fellas for making me feel special.

And DustOff, pics are great and all that but pics don't get the job dun. How's the ride? Have you posted your impressions of it somewhere?

I decided to go with the Sargent because of many positive reviews. My issues was I found the stock seat pushing me against the tank aside from my butt getting sore after about 100 miles in the saddle. Although I have nothing else to compare the Sargent seat to outside the stock seat, I’m very happy with my purchase. The seat is “dished” out with side supports giving me more a sense being lower to the ground despite when I put my feet down there really being no difference. I feel a tad more “behind” the tank of the bike and a part of the machine; not simply on top of it. Ultimately I have a little more confidence riding due to the perceived lower center of gravity. Comfort is A+. I did a 220 mile trip two weekends ago, 4 hrs, 30 minutes total. I did 3 hours, 20 minutes in the saddle before stopping to get something to eat. I’m not up on the tank at the conclusion of the ride grimacing when I had to put on the brakes! Wear and tear on the back end was nearly non-existent. I say non-existent because I feel I contribute myself to the outcome of the ride as I work on technique getting in and out of the twisties. Can’t say it’s either seat entirely as far as my back end being sore another words. The seat does fill a little firm upon sitting down but it does conform. I’m about 195, 5’11’’ for reference (not a big guy) and could see where I was at in the seat after getting off after the first leg of the trip. Sargent does a nice job with the back seat as well. I have had no one on it but for the driver, it acts as a nice bolster down low. It’s great for a hard launches and a sense of being a part of the bike. Nice fit and finish by the way.