Front Tire Cupping/Scalloping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAB

Reaction score
Ok, I need some advise.

I have a 2015 ES with 9300 miles. First off let me state that I check tire pressure every time I ride. The stock BT023GT front started showing signs of "feathering"/ cupping at 2000 miles. That is when I first noticed it, it probably started earlier. So I read up on the possible causes on this forum and I 1) reset the steering head torque per the manual. 2) I went from 36 to 40PSI.

As the tire wore, it became more pronounced. I chalked that up to the initial wear pattern being already there, so not too surprising it continued. Towards the end, I could actually feel a wobble on deceleration particularly if I lightly held on to the handle bars. At 7800 miles I hit the wear bars, (FYI, I live in the flat lands so I had a pretty good center flat spot). I changed to a Michelin PR4GT.

So I continued with the 40 PSI thinking that everything was as it should be. Unfortunately I still have the problem!

I jacked the front tire off the ground and checked for any play in the stealing head, non was there that I can feel.

I still have a few months of warranty left, do I let the dealer figure it out? I fear that the finger will point to the tire mfg. it's hard to imagine 2 mfg's with the same symptoms though.

I called the dealer and they said that they would check it out, but if they couldn't find the issue, I would have to pay for the diagnostics. Great!

From what I have read on the forum, people have had different experiences. Some swear that I tire mfg change fixed it, some say over torquing the steering head nut, some say bumping up the pressure. Some change the fork oil or add some type of fork stiffeners. Keep in mind this is still a new bike under warranty. I have played with all the variables I know of, short of over torquing the stealing head and adding a stiffener to the forks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff B.

photos? Did you read that cupping on the front is pretty normal? It is. Like a center flat spot on the rear.

If this is the OEM tire that came on the new bike, it's just plain worn out. I was lucky and got almost 12,000 on my OEM Bridgestone BT23s.

Look for photos in some of the tire threads to see if yours look like that.

Good heavens. It is Friday, there may be a Friday Dogpile.

This has been discussed over and over and over here on this forum.

1. Many of us have reported that the OEM Bridgestones are garbage. Of course, just as many seem to like the damned things.

2. 40 to 42 psi helps. I run mine at 41.

3. Riding/Braking styles have a lot to do with how the tire wears.

4. This is a heavy and powerful Sport Tourer with powerful brakes. The front tire is a casualty of that combination.

I have always experienced front tire "cupping" on every motorcycle I have owned. I just ride it until the tire is worn out, then I get a new tire.

Ride More, Stress Less.

Oops. May not have read the entire post before commenting. Apologies to the OP and all who may have been offended.

This is even more unusual in that I also have a 2015 ES, albeit with 34,500 miles. I noticed a slight front-end wobble near the end of life on my PR4-GTs (tires that replaced the OEM T23s), but it only occurred when "someone" took both hands off the handlebars. Attributed all of it to the cupping that came from me riding them to the last mm's of tread.

Didn't notice it any wobble during many miles with the T30s, and have not noticed it during the 2-week run with the Metzeler 01s.

I had a cupping problem on my '07. This is on my '13. 5500 miles on PR4GT's. I run 39psi

002_zpslzuwip6u.jpg

I had a cupping problem on my '07. This is on my '13. 5500 miles on PR4GT's. I run 39psi
002_zpslzuwip6u.jpg
Good lawd!! you must really be a really good trail braker. :)

I wish I could wear out a front tire to that extreme in only 5000 miles. Show us a pic of your feelers on your pegs too.

002_zpslzuwip6u.jpg
Good lawd!! you must really be a really good trail braker.
smile.png

I wish I could wear out a front tire to that extreme in only 5000 miles. Show us a pic of your feelers on your pegs too.
And on just the one side!! That's some serious right-hand cornering. I've never seen that in all my years of riding, unless you had some seriously under-pressured tires.

IF you got 7800 miles out of those tires, running what most of use consider low pressure (most of us run 40 to 42 in the front), AND you noticed cupping at 2000 miles but still got another 5800k out of those tires, then you are doing fine. Great job.

If I get 5k out of my tires I am relieved, although I usually get 6 -7k, but the last thousand or so are an adventure.

I think I am shocked that you got 5800 more after noticing the cupping. One it starts, there's no stopping it. Although your experience gives me hope.

I actually stopped paying attention to my mileage on a set of tires. I ride them till I can't ride em anymore. Then I change em, and I spend the first couple of weeks on the new tires swearing they are the best fricking tires ever.

That is not cupping. Cupping is independent of tread pattern, does not repeat with the tread pattern. Scalloping and feathering do follow the tread pattern.

As for "bad"? Thats not bad at all, its just a bit uneven, as good as anyone can hope for a motorcycle tire to wear.

You're indicating that you have PR4GTs and still have the problem. How many miles on the PR4GT when you started getting cupping?
1500 miles. It's beginning to show. I'm bumping pressure up to 42 PSI, but I doubt it will do any good.

Well guys, I've read through all the responses and thanks to all for the feed back. In a way I'm releaved. I had no idea that cupping/feathering was a common condition that didn't have a cure. Guess I'll have to give up on a solution.

Regards,

J.B.

That is not cupping. Cupping is independent of tread pattern, does not repeat with the tread pattern. Scalloping and feathering do follow the tread pattern.

As for "bad"? Thats not bad at all, its just a bit uneven, as good as anyone can hope for a motorcycle tire to wear.
I didn't know the difference in terms! Thanks for clearing that up. In my situation the wear follows the tread pattern.

Regardless of what you call it, cupping, feathering, uneven wear, whatever, once a wear pattern gets started there is no stopping it. On a car you can rotate the position of the tires on the vehicle and this largely minimizes the issue. Not on a motorcycle.

I did read that you had switched to the PR4GT and I honestly would have recommended that tire. I can tell you that no front tire I ever ran on my ST1300, no tire we ever ran on Dad's '07 FJR, and none of the tires that have been on the front of my '15 ES have worn smoothly. They have all exhibited some sort of goofy wear pattern.

What I do is...

Ride More, Stress Less.

As mentioned by others, some cupping is very normal.... my front has approx 12000 kms (not miles) and it is showing some minor cupping. Nothing to worry about. So it depends how bad it is.

As mentioned by others, some cupping is very normal.... my front has approx 12000 kms (not miles) and it is showing some minor cupping. Nothing to worry about. So it depends how bad it is.
How bad it is?!?!?!

Did you see the pic in post 8? Yikes!

Maybe others have but I have never seen a front tire like that in my 40 years of riding and working on bikes.

I too have some cupping on the Michelins on my '06. Seems hard to avoid completely.

Keeping tire pressures where others suggest but somehow seems worse on the FJR compared to my ST1100.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's not much you can do to stop it but you can slow it.

You seem to have done the right things.

1. Head bearing

2. PSI (factory PSI is for factory tires with focus on grip over longevity)

3. Corner technique (mine is particularly affected by engine braking)

4. Tire selection (always a compromise between longevity and grip)

5. GVW

I had some tire cupping issues after I first had my suspension installed on my 2010. I did 2 things to improve the tire cupping issue.

1. Got rid of the fork stiction issues. The issue was found after several sets of factory factory bushings were installed. There was a bad batch of factory bushings from Yamaha. Yes really. I was not the only person that had this issue. Finally, the stiction issue was resolved.

2. All Balls tapered head bearing kit installed.

After both of these were installed and the suspension was dialed in, front tire cupping was minimized. ALL front motorcycle tires will cup. How fast and how bad will be subject to how the bike is set up and how aggressive the rider is while riding, road conditions and pavement temperature. I have found that running 41psi front and 42 rear psi rear seems to be the best for me and my riding style.

Last edited by a moderator: