Mazama, Sisters, Bachelor, Hood: The Pacific Ring of Fire - Part 2.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
The second portion of a rare (anymore) strike north on my motorcycle. It's been about 2 weeks since the first installment, I have been slammed at work, but managed to piece together a hopefully not disjointed narrative, in bits and pieces, a few stolen minutes here and there, over several days. Hopefully, you would still enjoy reading about this leg of the trip! My little labor of love, and my pleasure to share with you all!
smile.png

If so inclined, you could read about it on the blog link below:

https://motorcyclewanderings.blogspot.com/2016/07/mazama-sisters-bachelor-hood-pacific.html

DSC_1951_2_3.jpg

Thank you for reading!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! It was a good trip, despite the nutty Zumo, the half-ass research, and the barely enough time I had to make the run. :)

Great ride....... Zumo probably needs a digitizer screen.
For the stuck screen issues, yes. The other issues? I don't know..

There is a Hong kong replacement on it now, that I put on a week ago. Let's see how long it lasts..
Probably years.... your other issues, check Avoidances, enough waypoints in route, waypoints not on the wrong side of a freeway, etc. Zoom in to your route and look it over. MY 10 year old 550 works great, is on it's third digitizer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great ride....... Zumo probably needs a digitizer screen.
For the stuck screen issues, yes. The other issues? I don't know..

There is a Hong kong replacement on it now, that I put on a week ago. Let's see how long it lasts..
Probably years.... your other issues, check Avoidances, enough waypoints in route, waypoints not on the wrong side of a freeway, etc. Zoom in to your route and look it over. MY 10 year old 550 works great, is on it's third digitizer.
The digitizers on the 550's seem to last about 4 years. My 550 croaked last month after 9 years and 120k of service. It was on it's second digitizer. Given the service I decided to get a Garmin 590 and while I was on the road - Amazon Prime is awesome! The new 590 is a very good unit - just a bit different from the 550 and change is hard but I am enjoying the new GPS. The big bonus with the new GPS is quicker route recalculations due to a speedier processor. It also has a better screen and improved / more ability.

Hey Ray you need a slightly use 550 GPS? The parts may come in handy! :D

Jim, I just got a 590 and it hasn't been road tested yet....... got it too cheap. The 550 is still going strong (and I like the screen on it better than the 590, FYI). Hoodie for the 590 is on the way..

I will have to test the exact same route on the GpsMap 478 and the Zumo 550 to see how both behave (and rule out routing user errors). Although, It will have to be on some local ride here.

However, asking me to make turns when none exist - and where no way-points were dropped is just looney-tunes, same as asking me to exit off the highway - only to get right back on. Never had to check for way-points on the GPS with the 478, just route - send to GPS and it worked 100% of the time. *shrug*

I'll throw in there I think Garmin put something in the last update..... come to think of it, lately I have had Zumo cutting corners, i.e., take a side street (that was a hair shorter) rather than staying on the main road..... I don't recall it being like that before. Some Basecamp users (on another forum) said similar (with their 590's), seems Garmin is experimenting........