2016 FJR1300 Best Choice?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choprzrul

Reaction score
Several questions for the community....

1. Has anyone seen horsepower numbers from a dyno for the new 2016 FJRs? If not, estimates as delivered from the factory?

2. Secondly, are parts available for full exhaust, ecu flash, and high flow air cleaner?

3. Lastly, I'm curious which model has the smoother engine....the new FJR or the FZ10 with the cross plane?

I am asking the 3 above questions as I am going to trade my 2013 FZ1 this fall or winter. I'm 95% certain that I am going to get the 2016 FJR1300A, but the FZ10 and the Aprilia Tuono 1100 also appeal to me.

The FJR's superior rider protection + cruise control really appeal to me. We have about 350 days per year of riding weather and my daily commute is almost always on the bike. Keeping the morning mist and cold off me would be most welcome. 8 miles of my commute is a 2 lane road with zero banking in the corners. It follows the pacific coast and is a beautiful ride, but I also want to make sure the FJR has enough 'Sport' in Sport Touring to handle corners.

The FZ10 got more horsepower and the cross plane engine + cruise control this year over the older FZ1.....but it's a naked so no rider protection. I think its onboard electronics (traction, wheelie, ABS, etc) are more advanced than the new FJR.....part of the reason I am trading is to gain the benefits of these electronic systems.....at 50 now I don't have the reaction times I had 30 years ago and I certainly don't heal as quickly :) Will the FJR effectively help keep me safe? Granted, the answer to that largely depends upon me.....but I've managed to always keep the FZ1 upright....

The Tuono has an amazing onboard electronics package that can be fine tuned to keep me out of trouble.....and the V4 putting out ~175hp is amazing.....but it is a naked with no cruise control, really crappy fuel mileage, limited dealer/manufacturer support, and can't match the Yamaha durability/reliability that's built into both the FJR and the FZ10.....but wow, that horsepower & handling!

So, if I get the FJR....add full aftermarket exhaust, flash the ecu, add fuel controller as required (PCV?), and maximize intake flow......what kind of horsepower numbers should be expected at the rear tire?

You're in for a rude surprise.

The FJR makes around 128 horses at the rear wheel. 145 at the crank. If you are able to get much more than that from mods, you're a magician.

No one that we know of has flashed an FJR ECU yet. Full exhaust systems are out there, but simply move the usable power close to redline, where it's not all that usable. KnN , Uni, and others make high flow filters, but the paper seem to work just fine. Fuel controllers are mostly used on some earlier years to smooth the throttle, not for maximum power.

We know this, because it has all been done, and the results were surprising. Small changes, like aftermarket cans and a slightly modified airbox seemed to improve MY bikes response, but that is Button Dyno only. It's fast enough, so I don't care.

If you want to do all that and feel the bike needs to protect you, I would suggest something else. The new FJR comes with a slipper clutch, two ride modes, ABS (since 2004) Cruse Control, and I think traction control, but I'm not sure of the last one. My '07 has been in Sport Mode since the day I bought it, and never had a problem, so your right hand is a big factor.

Welcome!

I don't know of the tech/spec differences between the bikes you've mentioned, other than a 200# +/- difference the FZ & Tuono have under the FJR. I also don't know what hp increase you'll get with the exhaust/flash/controller install. It does sound, from you're post, that you're leaning more towards Yamaha, so that leaves the FZ & FJR.

In that case, it appears to come down to 2 things nimbleness/horsepower or protection/versatility. Personally, I find the FJR's hp (140 +/-) to be sufficient enough for my sport touring, but not everyone will feel the same, so YOU might find the need to add more. How much more you'd get, I have no idea. Others here will know.

My only question to you is, have you ridden a FJR? If not, I would suggest a demo ride for both bikes at a motorcycle event near you, that way you can get a real comparison between the two. The added weight of the FJR might be a deal-breaker for you, or not. The only way to know for sure, is a demo ride or maybe ride a friend's bike.

Best of luck,

Rob

It does have traction control. I think it has helped me more than once on my '14, but you don't really know, it's not obvious that it's done anything, no sudden loss of power, just "Whoops, what happened there?

The '16 does come with traction control, ABS, integrated cruise control, fly-by-wire throttle control, OBD II type diagnostics capable of tracking and mapping selected functions. Given the cruddy road surfaces in the area where I commonly ride the ES is wonderful.

[Controversial]

The cross plane crank will do little on the public streets, you shouldn't be able to notice the cross plane under normal riding. Much like the upside down forks do little other than manage fork extension better.

[/Controversial]

As HotRod says, there isn't much you can do to improve the FJR's performance. The spark map is locked so there is no fiddling with timing. To get any real gains you would need to go to a different cam grind and an aftermarket spark controller. There is no guarantee that the FJR's ECU would play nice with that. A real good power gain for the FJR would be about 10 hp and that is enough to get the FJR to dip into the high 10s at the drag strip. Some performance gains comes through weight loss (factory exhaust system removal) and the rest primarily through improved exhaust flow. The FJR loses a lot of power through the shaft drive but you get back a fiddle free, almost no maintenance motorcycle.

I find my '15 ES to have weaker performance than my Gen I and I thought my Gen I was a little low on power. My Gen 1 pulled 1/4 mile times between 11.00 & 11.2x @ 119 to 121 mph pretty consistently, bone stock. The lower e.t. and higher mph came after adding an aftermarket suspension to control squat & traction at launch. 60' times dropped into the 1.6xx range.

If quick and very strong performance is all you are after then the FJR probably isn't what you are looking for. If you are looking for a pretty sporty, pretty comfortable, long distance bike with good weather protection then the FJR rings that bell.

LKLD makes a very good suggestion about a test ride. Consider renting a FJR for the day, it would cost less than 1% of purchase price to buy 100% assurance you are making an educated decision with facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither my 01 or 07 FZ1 has been ridden in a while, since I bought the FJR. It also took me to the FZ1 rally at Deals Gap in June - no issues on the Dragon or anywhere else, but the wind protection is a blessing every time I get on a highway!

You're trying to compare two different style of bikes. You'll never get the FJR to perform like the FZ10/Tuono, it's apples to oranges.
Excellent feedback from one and all.....it is greatly appreciated!

You are correct PhilJet09, I am trying to compare bikes that represent the limits of the "Sport Touring" continuum......I've even contemplated buying a new R1S and adding a riser/handlebar kit, larger touring windscreen, and moving the pegs/controls to turn that bike into more of a touring machine....

I am disappointed that there aren't any ecu flashes out there. Ivan's flash on my FZ1 really transformed the bike. It makes me wonder/hope that the 2016 FJR ecu is different & flashable.....but that's probably just wishful thinking.

In the end, I'm thinking that the FJR will have more usable power....102ft lbs of torque.....where my FZ1 doesn't really come on until 8k.......and I very seldom find myself above 6k on the street absent the occasional entrance ramp blast. So, while I always like more power, it's certainly not a deal breaker here.

I'm about 1/2 way between L.A. & S.F., so I am curious about LKLD's suggestion about finding a motorcycle event to demo both bikes. I'm going to see if Yamaha's site has any event info.

Again, thank you for all of your feedback.....it really does help.

Kevin

My Gen II ('07) FZ1 is fully modified - full exhaust and Ivan's flash included.

It's a blast to ride but no fun for hours on the highway. It's light and nimble and with AK20's and a Penske, rides like it's on rails - but so does my FJR (same suspension) and I don't notice the extra weight until I get back on an FZ1. The low end pull is awesome on the mod'd FZ1 as well, but the torque of the FJR is as much fun, without risking jail time in 1st..

If I had to keep just one, it would be the FJR without question.

I would think your decision would come down to how and where you are going to ride. Track days, canyon carving (relatively close to home) quick rides, I loved my FZ1 for that. Long distance rides, long rides to get to really good canyon carving and extended days on the road, the FJR is a great bike. With the FJR's suspension properly set up, it is a hoot to ride aggressive in the mountains and canyons. If I had but but one to choose, Id go FJR.

At 50 years old you may want to re-think your objective. If you want to ride a bike to work and tour the central coast with wind and weather protection the FJR is certainly a capable bike. If you need to satisfy your spent youthful desires then get a sport bike. It's only money, get a bike for each of your needs.

Several questions for the community....

1. Has anyone seen horsepower numbers from a dyno for the new 2016 FJRs? If not, estimates as delivered from the factory?

2. Secondly, are parts available for full exhaust, ecu flash, and high flow air cleaner?

3. Lastly, I'm curious which model has the smoother engine....the new FJR or the FZ10 with the cross plane?

I am asking the 3 above questions as I am going to trade my 2013 FZ1 this fall or winter. I'm 95% certain that I am going to get the 2016 FJR1300A, but the FZ10 and the Aprilia Tuono 1100 also appeal to me.

The FJR's superior rider protection + cruise control really appeal to me. We have about 350 days per year of riding weather and my daily commute is almost always on the bike. Keeping the morning mist and cold off me would be most welcome. 8 miles of my commute is a 2 lane road with zero banking in the corners. It follows the pacific coast and is a beautiful ride, but I also want to make sure the FJR has enough 'Sport' in Sport Touring to handle corners.

The FZ10 got more horsepower and the cross plane engine + cruise control this year over the older FZ1.....but it's a naked so no rider protection. I think its onboard electronics (traction, wheelie, ABS, etc) are more advanced than the new FJR.....part of the reason I am trading is to gain the benefits of these electronic systems.....at 50 now I don't have the reaction times I had 30 years ago and I certainly don't heal as quickly :) Will the FJR effectively help keep me safe? Granted, the answer to that largely depends upon me.....but I've managed to always keep the FZ1 upright....

The Tuono has an amazing onboard electronics package that can be fine tuned to keep me out of trouble.....and the V4 putting out ~175hp is amazing.....but it is a naked with no cruise control, really crappy fuel mileage, limited dealer/manufacturer support, and can't match the Yamaha durability/reliability that's built into both the FJR and the FZ10.....but wow, that horsepower & handling!

So, if I get the FJR....add full aftermarket exhaust, flash the ecu, add fuel controller as required (PCV?), and maximize intake flow......what kind of horsepower numbers should be expected at the rear tire?
You are used to the FZ1 - its a great bike, and over the years had the ability to utilize many aftermarket mods to make it better then out of the factory..... with that said - the FJR with the latest additions of fly by wire has given it almost perfect throttle behavior with the sport and touring mode settings. No jerkiness, no throttle snatch issues at all - perfect. The FJR is a 1300cc machine - you do not need to wring more power out of a perfect motor, so perfect they barely changed it over the course of 15 years. Hence there is no need for an ECU flash on this bike.

The FJR is a big fat cow, but that is only when your pushing it around the garage, and doing slow speed maneuvers. When under way the low center of gravity makes the bike super nimble and can easily handle very aggressive riding, and has the power plant to back it up. Honestly - you will likely not be wanting or needing for more power.
This is the reason they put it in its own class "Super Sport Touring" and deservedly so.

I have a 2015 FJR, upgraded from the 2005 I drove for 10 years, last fall I bought an FZ-09 probably a year too soon, as I was looking for something for single rider street stuff and track days. I upgraded everything on it, much the way you are talking. ECU Flash, Full suspension, Full Exhaust, new tires and more. The FZ-09 needed the flash since the throttle response on the fly by wire from the factory was garbage, very abrubt and harsh. It was an inexpensive bike to start a build with so I didn't mind, but the mods changed the bikes performance immensely and it needed all the help it could get aside from the motor - its truly a hooligans machine.... Track Days have been a blast so far.

Now less then a year later, Yamaha announces the FZ10, with all the electronic goodies built in, full suspension, cruise, TC, ABS - everything I really wanted that the FZ-09 didn't have.... Oh well... My neighbor who is 63 also had an FZ-09 wanted something more and last week he pulled the trigger on one of the first FZ10s, went with him to pick it up. We went on a 75 mile break in ride and after that, he gave me the opportunity to take it for a nice long ride.... I can confirm that its an awesome machine... Which also IMO needs nothing more in the terms of upgrades, but there will be an ECU flash coming soon by Ivan or Vcyclenut, plus I'm sure many exhaust upgrades plus other stuff for the platform.

The FZ10 will do controlled wheelies from 2k rpm on with TC setting on low, but disengage the TC and its a monster, showing that full 160hp pretty well. I wasn't a fan of the looks of the front facia but in person it is not nearly as ugly I expected. The Throttle response on the FZ10 is perfect out of the box unlike the FZ09. We did not do a 0-60 race type thing but I can tell you the FJR is not lacking on keeping up with the FZ10 by any stretch.

The electronics package is not really much different then FJR or more advanced - Trac Control can be turned off and wheelies can be had by the FJR, if you really need to, I just don't mess with that stuff on the FJR personally.

Aprilla's are pretty machines, but my guy who owns a Motorcycle Shop and supports one of the SuperBike teams owns one, when I was having them help me set sag on the FZ09, I was basically drooling on his Tuono, said he likes it, but would not buy another one - too high maintenance for him. I'll take his word to stick with my Yamahas.

To your 3 questions....

1 - already answered

2 - exhaust avail, no flash needed, air cleaner is fine and high flow won't add any benefits.

3 - they are both equal IMO.

My Buddies new FZ10

27905332423_1f306a5685_c.jpg

My FZ09 on Road America - good times

27476416231_57a766f115_c.jpg

The FJR is really a spectacular machine - low maintenance, tons of fun and worth every penny to a huge amount of people.

PJF_6835_zpsz59ecv7w.jpg

Thanks - tried to fire that up with the mobile version but it didn't give me any buttons to play with, so I just pasted it....