Crescent wrench set

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonerider

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Saw these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-3-8-in-Drive-Pass-Thru-Adjustable-Wrench-Set-11-Piece-CPTAW8/205642158 online and thought they would make a useful addition to the tool bag I take on trips. A little pricey at the original $35 - $40 asking price, but at the $20 Home Depot is charging (and being a confirmed tool junkie), I decided to chance it. Tried the sockets on metric bolts with 8, 10, 12, and 13 mm heads and they fit well, also on 7/16" and 1/2" SAE bolts. The factor limiting their utility, IMHO, is there don't seem to be extensions available for the sockets.

Interesting. I have had good luck with that universal style of socket. I'd have to look at them in person before spending 20 bucks because I am frugal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar set but with a regular socket wrench, I like the adjustable end on this one. For $20, can't go wrong, thanks!

Nice set - I'm going to grab one myself. Not sure if it will end up under the seat or in the tool box, but the versatility is pretty awesome.

I have a set of sockets sold by Lowe's that appear to be the same design. They come with ratchets rather then the crescent wrench/ratchet. They also come with extensions. I won them as a door prize at some club event so I don't know what they cost and their website does not list a price. My set has two extensions.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-14-Piece-Standard-Metric-3-8-in-Drive-Spline-Socket-Set/3694346
Thanks for the link, I'll have to check into this and see if those extensions are compatible with the Crescent sockets and see if they are available separately.

Why do you need extensions when the sockets are pass through? To be able to reach into a deeper crevice? Is this even the best tool for that?

Why do you need extensions when the sockets are pass through?
Why do you need extensions when the sockets are pass through? To be able to reach into a deeper crevice? Is this even the best tool for that?
Extensions aren't absolutely necessary for the tool to work, but they do increase its usefulness - I bought mine knowing there were no extensions included. Use of extensions has saved the skin on my knuckles on more than one occasion when a tight bolt or nut suddenly broke loose...

Why do you need extensions when the sockets are pass through?Why do you need extensions when the sockets are pass through? To be able to reach into a deeper crevice? Is this even the best tool for that?
Extensions aren't absolutely necessary for the tool to work, but they do increase its usefulness - I bought mine knowing there were no extensions included. Use of extensions has saved the skin on my knuckles on more than one occasion when a tight bolt or nut suddenly broke loose...
Ahhhhh, that makes sense. Still, I'm going to run by the Depot tomorrow and get me a set. I think they're cool.

I got a 12 piece set of these off a tool truck years ago and they may still be the best tools I own. I was surprised given their Taiwanese mnfgr but they have held up for years and have a great feel in the hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackhawk-Proto-BW-3250L-Ratcheting-Combination/dp/B001HWOQNC%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIQOZMKEPEBLOIJBA%26tag%3Dterapeak08-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB001HWOQNC

I have a couple of crescents but was taught to never use them so they are my fail-over when nothing else works.

I have a set of sockets sold by Lowe's that appear to be the same design. They come with ratchets rather then the crescent wrench/ratchet. They also come with extensions. I won them as a door prize at some club event so I don't know what they cost and their website does not list a price. My set has two extensions.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-14-Piece-Standard-Metric-3-8-in-Drive-Spline-Socket-Set/3694346
$15.98 but out of stock in my area
Order on-line and deliver to store ?

Latest posts