Remove ABS module to remove shock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffud

Reaction score
I did a lot of research before starting work on replacing the OEM shock. I did not see any posts with a reference to interference between the upper shock bolt and the ABS module bracket, but this is what I have run into on my bike. I didn't see anything in the service manual about removing the ABS module, either, although I guess it might be part of removing the right footrest - I decided not to venture down that rabbit hole.

This picture shows the bolt I am trying to remove. It is out as far as it will go, and it is not far enough to release the shock.

O2V0vKk.jpg

This picture is from out a little further to show where this is:

ojwHu1Q.jpg

Is it normal to have to remove the entire ABS module to get the shock out??

How difficult is it to move the ABS unit? Is there any way to get it out of the way without draining all the brake fluid. I just replaced the fluid a couple of months ago, so I'd like to avoid doing it again.

Just as with the centerstand bolts, if this had just been assembled with the bolt coming from the other side, this would be MUCH easier! I guess I should count myself lucky that I only had to cut off ONE bolt on the centerstand to remove it, but still, it could have been ZERO. (I know I don't need to remove the centerstand to remove the shock - I am also trying to do the regular maintenance on the pivots while I'm replacing the shock, so it had to come off.)

I would appreciate any help!

Not when I did mine. I just did my shock on my 09, I disconnected one of the brackets that hold the hose in place, and used a long wobble extension on my socket wrench. I think there is second hose bracket I could have removed to move the hose out of the way even more, but I did it with one removed.

My problem is not getting a wrench onto the bolt. I did that with a straight extension, after disconnecting the rear brake master cylinder so I could move a brake hose out of the way.

The nut is off, and the bolt is loose, but the bolt hits that bracket before it goes far enough to release the shock.

Did your bike have the bolt inserted from the left side? If the bolt had come in from the left instead of from the right, it would have been no problem.

Maybe if someone could answer this: Are the two hex bolts on the under-side of the subframe the only bolts holding that bracket in place, or are there more that I cannot see? I really want to avoid doing any more to the ABS unit than I have to. If I could just move it up about 1/2", I think I could get the bolt out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the wrong bolt to me...... the upper shock mount is above the ABS unit, so all you should have to do is navigate your socket and (wobble) extension in there.

Looks like the wrong bolt to me...... the upper shock mount is above the ABS unit, so all you should have to do is navigate your socket and (wobble) extension in there.
I appreciate the help, but it's the right bolt.

Here it is from the other side. I pushed it to where it is now. It is clearly the bolt through the top of the shock.

PTnsfCa.jpg

That's the right bolt. There is a sleeve, once the nut is removed, that slides out of place

and allows you to angle the bolt out. Don't lose the sleeve,

When I re-assembled mine I reversed the position of the bolt. HTH

I just did mine in February. Had to get my neighbor to help but what finally got bolt out was carefully rotating bolt until one face on bolt head just clears that bracket. Had to be positioned just right or it won't clear.

You don't say what year but on my 07 it was as you show. I think a early Gen 2 issue. Get a long screw driver and force the ABS bracket up and as others stated rotate the bolt so you get the most clearance. It will come out!

After messing with that a couple of times I went in with a dremel with a small sanding drum and cut a radius in the bracket and repainted. Hard to say but yours does seem a bit farther down.

Looks completely normal for the '06 & '07 model years.

As mentioned in above posts, loosen / remove the couple brackets that hold the hose in place and then use a pry bar to slightly move the ABS module and lines out of the way. It's a tight fit but the upper bolt will slide out. Later years are better with revised ABS units but even then, I haven't bothered to reverse the bolt. Once you get the system down it comes out pretty easy.

Good luck!

--G

This winter I replaced the stock shock with a Hyperpro shock. My 2010 has the upper shock bolt nut on the left side of the bike like yours. I had to remove the hose brackets for the ABS unit to with draw the bolt.

My bike is an 06, so I'm glad to hear at least it's not abnormal.

Thanks the input, guys. I really appreciate it. I knew I couldn't be the first one to run into this problem.

Did you loosen any of the bolts holding that bracket in place to move it, or just bend it? I did consider cutting it, but I was afraid of damaging that abs module.

I'll let you all know how it goes when I try to tackle it tomorrow or later this week. Weather has been miserable here in NC the last few days, so I may just wait until it cools down some.

And 19, no worries. It happens to the best of us. Even I myself have been known to be wrong on occasion! :)

Weird, I knew your picture looked strange to me. I had no idea the 09 and 06 were different under there..

Hmm, it was difficult but removable on my 2006 without messing with the ABS module. There is a bushing (Yamaha calls it a collar) in the frame on the end of the bolt that you have to pull out so that the bolt has extra wiggle room to move up and down.

Part 6:

Shock%20bush.jpg

I loosened the ABS unit but still needed a second set of eyes/hands. We found the bolt only wanted to come out if it was oriented just so. Flat on bolt head just "kissed" the ABS brackets as it slid past.

Well, I got that bolt out. I loosened the ABS module bracket (just by the two bolts under the subframe bar) and was able to push it out of the way just enough to push the bolt past it. I definitely needed another pair of hands to make this happen.

However, I didn't think I would be able to do anything without being able to get to the bracket more than I could from the side, so I followed the service manual instructions to remove the airbox first. It seems like there is not much left intact on the bike besides the motor and tranny at this point. It definitely made it easier to access the shock, though!

Even with the airbox removed, I couldn't find any way to get that sleeve out of its hole. It was still in place when I finally got the bolt out.

At this point I am just hoping I can get it all back together in time to get it inspected before the current registration expires next month. It may be close...

A question: Can anyone think of a reason why it might be a bad idea to insert the top bolt on the shock from the left instead of the right? This seems like it would make removal much easier. The bracket is not symmetrical, as only one side has a sleeve, so I am wary of going against the manual.

Lots of people (me included) reverse the bolt on re-installation. The nut does sit oddly against the sleeve but so does the bolt head, when you think about it.