NY to TN, NC, FL and back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulie1761

Reaction score
Headed out for my first tour. I have an 08 FJR that has seen quite a bit of NY and down to Myrtle on the super slab. Looking to see some country... Headed to Knoxville over to Charlotte, then to Daytona and back to Poughkeepsie NY, Looking at some miles in Pa, WV and maybe Ky. Have seen the whole country as a trucker but looking to get a closer look at the rural areas. Looking for any MUST see or Must avoid areas or roads headed down that way. I have a week and will probably do a couple campgrounds. Any thoughts, ideas or opinions are appreciated.

Easy. Avoid any roads that begin with "I-" ( As in Interstate. )

You'll find most North-South routes are for making time.

East-West routes are for having fun.

Keep in mind early in your trip you'll be energized and have

a tendency to travel farther. Later in the week don't let

pressure to "get home" force you to take shortcuts or

otherwise skip stuff you want to see

Above all, ride safe and have fun.

Might help if we had an idea on what time of year too. Soon? Much of the area is in a heat wave. Fall? May have to deal with leaf peepers and overpriced lodging in some areas.

Interested in history? Gettysburg, PA and civil war battlefields on your route make for fascinating stops.

Please give a little more info and that will help the rest of us with which direction to point you in.

I'll be on the road the last week of Sept. Lil too early for pee

IMOpers, but wouldn't have thought of it until i was dealing with the hords of extra traffic. Just looking for some great back road routes in the pa and wv areas that keeps me away from congestion for the most part. Quaint towns, river and mountain roads are what I'm looking for. Just looking for ideas... thanks

With that time line why not consider dropping in at EOM? Whole bunch of us will be in Wytheville,VA September 23-25th. Great riding in that area and great people from the very areas you're heading towards. Heading south through PA, route 11 roughly parallels I-81 well south into VA and WV. Two lane that'll take you through a lot of small towns yet ample opportunities to sight see and get your eat on at local establishments. Easy enough to hop on the slab if you need to make some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
We road on 11 through PA, I couldn't wait to get away from it. On a map, it looked great.

To me, it was too commercial, too many lights and stop and go and from what I recall, no speed limit was higher than 40 mph.

The Delaware Water gap had a nice twisty road through a park.

Thanks for the info that has been coming my way. I'll make sure 11 is not on my route. bigOgre, thanks for the links... very helpful a lot of good info there. bkerchuck, thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of the EOM, Going to try to reroute my trip so i can meet up with you all that friday That's actually the end of my vaca and i would like to be back in NY by sat night.

Where in NY are you from?

We live in Latham? Just curious if you're near us.

Nvm. I reread and noted Po town.

Not too far from us though.