Clearwater Krista new design and question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJAMT

Reaction score
I'm in the market for some Clearwater lights and was thinking I would buy Krista + Darla. Then I noticed their web site says they have changed the Krista. It's now the narrower 8 degree beam and has 3000 lumens to put light farther down the road. I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with the new design. Seeing farther down the road sounds great but at what cost to shoulder lighting?

The folks at Clearwater suggested a hybrid with 1 Erica on the right and 1 new Krista on the left. I know they are the same size but I'm afraid the "mismatched" lights might bother me. I think I have mild OCD tendencies sometimes. What about just Ericas?

Stepping up in price from the Krista means putting off the Darlas to a later date due to cost. This stuff isn't cheap. Thoughts from those with more experience in this area than me?

I went with a pair of Ericas and didn't look back. Best lighting setup I ever had for the FJR and I'd tried at least 3 other configurations over the years.

For a more value oriented alternative I'd personally consider and LX5 or LX40 and roll my own wiring system.

As the narrower beam would suggest, the Krista 2's are more like pure spot lights. Personally, I much prefer the hybrid spot/flood pattern of the Ericas and the original Kristas. I have both (each on a different bike) and if you are going to have only one set of aux lights I don't think you can go wrong with that beam pattern. I love my Clearwaters.

I did see someone recently with the combo setup of one Erica and one Krista 2. They said they liked it, and it makes some sense when I think about it. I would probably put the Erica on the right side (to get the wider beam hitting the side of the road) and the Krista 2 on the left side.

Agree with Ignacio that there are some cheaper options available--talk with JustinP at LEDRider.com if interested.

I have the Krista 2's - got them on last year's group buy when they were brand new. I like the beam throw but I have a pair of cheap 10w wide LED's that give me close in flood.

I've been running ADVMonster model 20 and model 44 lights on my FJRs and I really like them. Both are floods, the bigger lights up by the headlights to light up the night and the lower lights for an increased angle of visibility. When the 44s go to full output it's like turning on stadium lights. In the open expanses out west someone may want more beam cast down the road. When I'm able to have the high beams on I don't out-drive the lights at ~85 mph.

I have the original Kristas on under mirror mounts and Denali D2Ds on the fender mount bolts and am very happy with my set up. I recently helped a coworker install the LEDRider LX5s on under mirror mounts and have to admit I'm pretty impressed. We matched them with a pair of L4s on fender mount bolts and wired through a Skene smart controller. Works pretty damn well for less money than I spent just for the Kristas.

One important factor concerning the narrow beam. I keep my older Kristas pointed down a little more than normal. Even so, I have to keep 'em turned down when riding in traffic at night. I can't run them at any more than about 30 percent on the "volume control" most of the time. They're just too bright for oncoming cagers. I can see the value of a narrower beam.

Wondering: if you do choose to run two different lights, especially if one of them is an Erica which as you know puts out more than double the light of a Krista, do you think that separate volume controls might be in order?

Gary

darksider #44

I run my big lights around 30% and the small lower lights between 30% and 50% depending on where and when I am ;) Both lights use a high beam trigger to go 100%. I am running dual power controllers to do this.

Thanks to all for the input! I have about a month to think about it but I'm leaning toward the Ericas and hoping the bonus will also cover Darlas. I can hope right?