Best route creation software - by far

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my map collection. Copy the desired sections on my HP copier, use my hi-lighters on the routes and put the pages in order. Also carry maps on the trip for evening motel reading and possible plan B options.

Best by far? Maybe, once one has reached the level of understanding as you have Ed, but intuitive it is not.

I should probably erase it from my computer, and reinstall it, then start from scratch.

I'm still really pissed that Microsoft stopped support for Streets and Trips. I still use that quite a bit even without current updates but I've been trying to use Basecamp more and more. Basecamp is just not as intuitive.

I still can't seem to get the hang of BaseCamp. Or maybe it's because I don't spend a lot of time with it.
Did you try the Agenda?

I'm still really pissed that Microsoft stopped support for Streets and Trips. I still use that quite a bit even without current updates but I've been trying to use Basecamp more and more. Basecamp is just not as intuitive.
I was a huge S&T user. BaseCamp is much more powerful. Try the Agenda.

I like my map collection. Copy the desired sections on my HP copier, use my hi-lighters on the routes and put the pages in order. Also carry maps on the trip for evening motel reading and possible plan B options.
I am ready to ride with route in 2 minutes and never have to search for street signs or route numbers. I am also a big map guy. Being good at both is a big plus.

Thanks Ed!
My pleasure!

Ditch it. Try Tyre, it uses Google maps, easy to create routes, easy to edit, store as .gpx. EZPZ. Load 'em up to your GPS or, if you have a 590, load 'em into Basecamp, sent to GPS, OR, use Windows to transfer. Transition yourself into Basecamp as you see fit. Ed did a great job of the tutorials.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditch it. Try Tyre, it uses Google maps, easy to create routes, easy to edit, store as .gpx. EZPZ. Load 'em up to your GPS or, if you have a 590, load 'em into Basecamp, sent to GPS, OR, use Windows to transfer. Transition yourself into Basecamp as you see fit. Ed did a great job of the tutorials.......
Try creating a great route using BONE Roads, restaurants, views, rides, things to see, & hotels in less than a minute using TYRE. Try doing it for Tennessee. Tyre does not allow you to save all the best stuff in one place for easy reference. I am very familiar with TYRE and actually prefer Rever for Google maps routing. Google routing is very limited and dumbed down compared to BaseCamp.

I REALLY like the Tom Tom GPS software - easy to understand for navigation. But you cannot (and I mean CANNOT) get a google maps route into the GPS. Oh, everyone says that the Tyre software package will convert it, but let me assure you, before you set out on your "imported" route, you better have extra time and extra gas because what you get isn't close to what you thought you were getting.

OTOH, Garmin does a wonderful job of getting a computer generated route into the GPS. I've seen it done with plenty of packages, including basecamp. But the GPS software is like Hebrew to me. I just cannot get used to it and likely never will. It must have been designed by a (RARE) right-brained programmer.

So I suffer through my inadequacies. I use a paper map for the 30,000 foot view, with my route highlighted. And I use the Tom Tom to navigate point-to-point. It has sort of become a blessing because invariably on a tour, the daily route almost assuredly changes from the "plan" anyway. Because of this, I don't spend much time thinking about the route in the first place, which kind of falls into my overall "throw the plan in the trash and ride with the wind" objective anyway.

I still can't seem to get the hang of BaseCamp. Or maybe it's because I don't spend a lot of time with it.
Did you try the Agenda?
Not yet. I'm extremely new to GPS. I fiddle fart my way thru Google Maps to get an idea for a run, then I see what I can do about using Base Camp. I use waypoints to try and keep myself on the course I want to go. One thing I seem to have issues with, and maybe its just me, but it seems that if I power off my unit, when I shut the bike off, it doesn't resume my trip even when I select my route. Always wants to route me back home to start over again.

. Because of this, I don't spend much time thinking about the route in the first place, which kind of falls into my overall "throw the plan in the trash and ride with the wind" objective anyway.
This is normally my thinking as well Pants, but I don't "stray too far from home" and with the thought of YFO in the distance, I need to get my route planning game in gear.

I REALLY like the Tom Tom GPS software - easy to understand for navigation. But you cannot (and I mean CANNOT) get a google maps route into the GPS. Oh, everyone says that the Tyre software package will convert it, but let me assure you, before you set out on your "imported" route, you better have extra time and extra gas because what you get isn't close to what you thought you were getting.
OTOH, Garmin does a wonderful job of getting a computer generated route into the GPS. I've seen it done with plenty of packages, including basecamp. But the GPS software is like Hebrew to me. I just cannot get used to it and likely never will. It must have been designed by a (RARE) right-brained programmer.

So I suffer through my inadequacies. I use a paper map for the 30,000 foot view, with my route highlighted. And I use the Tom Tom to navigate point-to-point. It has sort of become a blessing because invariably on a tour, the daily route almost assuredly changes from the "plan" anyway. Because of this, I don't spend much time thinking about the route in the first place, which kind of falls into my overall "throw the plan in the trash and ride with the wind" objective anyway.
Consider using the Agenda. Many who gave up on BaseCamp like it now after using the Agenda.

Looking for all the help I can get with BaseCamp. Thanks for the video!
Do the Agenda.

Ed, I printed out the Agenda and plan to go through that. It looks like it will really make things "click" so to speak. Appreciate that piece as well. Being the leader in the Motorcycle GPS industry, I never understood why Garmin can't create a simple to use program without spending hours of use learning it. It shouldn't be that difficult. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

The biggest thing I found for working with BaseCamp to make it mucho easier: pick Point A and pick to route to Point B. Let BaseCamp decide what your route will be. Then modify the route to what you want it to be. Trying to create a route from scratch turns out to be a nightmare for me and it never comes out right and I never get it completed. Do the agenda and learn the insert, move and erase tools and things will go better.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be powerful, but to a new user, it's not very intuitive. I've been using computers and software for about 40 years now, and after 30 minutes with it, I still can't create anything like what you are showing. "Agenda" has been mentioned repeatedly, there's no "Agenda" button or menu list on my version (downloaded this morning for the Mac platform).

I've love to use it, and will, but intuitive to use, it is not, from a new user standpoint.